BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wrangler vs. Jimny

• AlexK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2019 08:25 #210823 by AlexK
Wrangler vs. Jimny was created by AlexK
I'm running a Wrangler for a week, and it's already turning up some surprising comparisons.

For instance, you'd expect the Wrangler to feel much more spacious, but it isn't. Cabin space is only four inches wider in total, but the Jeep's door trim intrudes so much that the Jimny feels more accommodating. Jimny has far more headroom, too - if I put my seat back, my head hits the Wrangler's rollbar.

Adding to the cramped feeling is that there's nowhere to put your left foot in the Wrangler, thanks to transmission intrusion. Part of the reason why there's no manual model is because there is literally nowhere to put a clutch pedal, but in the auto you're left with no choice but to leave your left foot underneath the brake pedal.

The Wrangler is quick, though. This is the 2.0-litre turbo petrol and although it sounds like a bag of spanners in a washing machine, it gets off the line pretty smartly. My Jimny, by comparison, is wilfully underpowered.

More than three times the price, mind.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Jul 2019 09:57 #210825 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Wrangler vs. Jimny
Which would you pick for a day on the lanes though?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• AlexK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2019 11:06 #210829 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Wrangler vs. Jimny

Lambert wrote: Which would you pick for a day on the lanes though?

Easy - Jimny. Two reasons:

1. Driving the Wrangler through our forest test course made it feel unwieldy and difficult to place. Visibility ain't great, either. Jimny goes anywhere and fits anywhere, all with very little effort. Gotta love that steering lock, too.

2. At the best part of fifty grand, you have to really question whether you want to take the Wrangler off-road at all.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
10 Jul 2019 13:36 #210836 by Lambert
Thought you might!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2019 15:22 #210840 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Wrangler vs. Jimny
Funny, i just dont feel the jimny is under powered. As others have said, it certainly isnt fast, but i would never be able to describe it as slow either.

Ive never felt that it was under powered off-road either. It just happily beavers its way up steep inclines, and in 4L its just amazing, and more than enough ooompfhh to get ye out the muck.

Another thing.... but......Maybe cus i play my music moderatly loud on motorways, and my journeys are quite short (22 miles each way most days) ... but.... i never feel uncomfortable, annoyed or agrevated driving about, at around 65mph - 70mph. It just never bothers me. I get a strong feeling that this little suzuki loves being revved!

I think if youve jus stepped out of an ST or RS then you'll feel like youve stepped into a reliant robin speed-wise. But for myself stepping out of a 1.2 polo, i feel the jimny is perfectly suited for my needs and im well happy with its performance. If anything and from reading reviews prior to purchase, i was expecting it to be bloody aweful, and .. . IMHO.... it just isnt.

I just really love my jimny, no other car has made me feel like this does. Every drive is a pleasure and it still has the effect, of me looking at it at night when i lock it up and go in home. A real corny love affair going on with my jim :) :)

• AlexK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2019 16:39 #210843 by AlexK
I have 215 MTs on mine. Hills are something of a challenge.

In other news, there's no way I could live with this absolute park bench of a front bumper...

Attachments:

More
11 Jul 2019 00:17 - 11 Jul 2019 04:17 #210870 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Wrangler vs. Jimny
I've been in the USA for the past 5 weeks and been surprised by how popular the wrangler still is, especially on the East coast in the hunting and fishing areas and the North West coast too. There's huge numbers of massive pick-ups, but the wrangler is still quite a common sight, as well as a good number of Subarus.
I've been struck by how similar the 2 door wrangler and the gen4 look, with the jimny taking quite a few design cues from the wrangler (or is it the other way round?).

I've also seen quite a few G-wagons which look really small compared to the mega pick-ups. A jimny could disappear under some of them!
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jul 2019 04:17 by Bill Portland. Reason: typo

More
11 Jul 2019 07:20 #210874 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Wrangler vs. Jimny
Wranglers make sense in the US, where they're actually reasonably priced. Jeep in the UK are pulling a fast one, pricing it as a premium product rather than a utilitarian one.

I've never seen the appeal of the Wrangler, although I'd rather have one than the half-fiat Renegade.

• AlexK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2019 09:32 #210884 by AlexK
I would describe myself as a Jeep guy. I've owned four. I used to teach people to drive them. I've driven across America in them. I've rock-crawled them in Moab.

But the pricing is crazy.

The previous Wrangler doubled in price in 8 years, despite being largely unchanged. The new Wrangler has only been on sale for about a year but has already had a couple of price increases. The one parked on my driveway is over £50k.

My Jimny reminds me more of my old Wranglers than this new one does.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
11 Jul 2019 10:07 #210885 by Lambert
And of course land rover are doubtless looking at the wrangler as the basis for the pricing structure that they can get away with for the new defender. Like you say at 50k the man in the street is not going to off road one at that price regardless of how capable it may or may not be in the wild. Whereas for the same money as one wrangler you can have a matching pair of Jimny one to abuse off road and one for going to the opera.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jul 2019 18:55 #210905 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Wrangler vs. Jimny
Go look at any 2019 jimny video online, and read the comments of US citizens!! They are totally in love with it.

Oh my gosh .... if suzi released the gen4 over the pond, theyde be a stampead im guessing

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds