BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof tent on Jimny

More
06 Jul 2019 08:32 #210702 by cailean
Replied by cailean on topic Roof tent on Jimny
'Roam Overlanding' on YouTube has put one on. He did also upgrade the shocks etc to handle the increased weight.

Does seem 'too much' for a Jimny to me though

www.youtube.com/channel/UCSlXivA3y502y5dRAp4ZGJg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2019 08:37 #210704 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Roof tent on Jimny
I had Suzuki GB ask Japan what the story was after the launch. The response seemed fairly clear to me: "30kg is the maximum limit for the roof structure."

I know I won't be putting anything on my Jimny's roof - perhaps for aerodynamic reasons as much as anything else. Others are free to make their own decisions.

More
06 Jul 2019 09:12 #210705 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Re:Roof tent on Jimny
Back to the roof top tents:
Hardshell tents are heavier and smaller for sleeping because they do not fold out.
Softshell tents (I own an Autohome Overzone 160cm but do not use it on the Jimny) are lighter and offer more sleeping space. I think there is a Frontrunner softshell that is especially light and also a inflatable roof tent were you could just keep the max roof load.
Hardshells are easier to open/close (3min) softshells are around 5-10min).
If you want a roof tent, my general advise would be to go for Autohome, I think they make excellent roof tents (or at least they are the best of the bad). I do not use my roof tent on the Jimny, but I think the Jimny is not the best car for high roof loads.

For trailer and roof tent I use a Puch G and on this car neither is noticeable while driving, even not really in fuel consumption.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
06 Jul 2019 09:12 #210706 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Roof tent on Jimny
If you want one fit one, tell your insurance and drive the vehicle in an appropriate manner and enjoy.

This fall's in the same category as towing, body lifts, winches, suspension and tyre size changes. It's not as the vehicle left the showroom and so Suzuki will quote the information in the manual. Change anything will be the owners call.
Unfortunately I feel that a lot of the information quoted is "cut and paste" from previous generations and most goes back to the Samurai, easier to change the cover than rewite the manual. The Jimny can exceed the stated limits and if driven according to the changes made it will be safe to drive.

Of course this is just my opinion, changing anything from standard is at your own risk. You naughty people with your large tyres, lifted bodies etc etc :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• GeordieJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jul 2019 12:54 #210765 by GeordieJimny
Replied by GeordieJimny on topic Roof tent on Jimny
Really happy with the Front Runner Root Top Tent. Drives perfectly well imho. Sleeps 2 comfortable with ease.

Doing some mods to it for better fuel economy such as noting having the tent ladder attached during transit and also if you remove the stock mattress (which is uncomfortable anyway) and mount it off the rear, the tent slopes 2" down at the front. I've replaced the stock mattress with a 120cm wide inflatable insulated mattress and both that and the ladder fit in the rear of the Jimny when we're on the road.

On a kielder roof tent campingrecent trip I was hitting 39.1 mpg with the ladder removed and 31.9 mpg with it left on. I've got some quick release bolts to reattach the ladder when we arrive, it takes a few moments more. Not tested the fuel economy with the sloped front yet as I'd like to get some better straps to make the cover sit better. If it helps as much as I hope I'll get a custom cover made (their waterproof cover is ~4kg, I'm sure I can strip that back with something custom).

I use 2 Thule squarebars if there's only me sleeping in the tent and 3 if my wife joins. 2 does hold us both (150kg on the nose) but the sag on the rear bar is off putting. A front runner roof rack would be lovely at some point, especially with the quick release tent mounting brackets, as bolting it on sucks. Again though that's increasing the dynamic load. Very much interested in a 50mm lift and better suspension but inexperienced at this kind of thing and whether it would negatively effect the roof tent setup a step too far. What do you think of the trial master one advertised here in this instance?

Total weight up top while driving is:
• Ladder on and 3 bars = ~57kg
• No ladder and 2 bars = ~45kg

I've tried both and not noticed much difference is how it feels to drive but fuel economy certainly does differ. I'm not a fast driver at the best of times and chugging along, I sat comfortable on the motorway at 60-65 mph. Just dial driving right back and enjoy the ride. If you're going camping you're meant to enjoy the journey too so no rush.

Only been off road in a muddy field and woodland with the tent on and I was enjoying it so much I forgot I have the tent on. Absolutely love the Jimny and the experiences it opens up. As you say, it's the owners decision to weigh up (no pun intended) the pros and cons.

Added some pics if it helps.

Setup

Ladder attached

Ladder removed

Attachments:

More
08 Jul 2019 19:06 #210772 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Roof tent on Jimny
Looks good, I like it a lot.
Fear of sleep walking, not the Jimny falling over or exploding has always prevented me going for a roof tent.:)

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• GeordieJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2019 08:00 #210789 by GeordieJimny
Add a couple of suitcase padlocks on the zippers :D

• Noddy299
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jul 2019 17:39 #210806 by Noddy299
Replied by Noddy299 on topic Roof tent on Jimny
Thank you all very much for your answers.

GeordieJimny that looks smart as a carrot that does. Would suit me ideal, have you considered making some kind of large wind deflector coming off the windscreen up to the edge of the tent like on the tractor unit of an HGV? Could scrape back some mpgs, might also reduce road noise.

As it stands we are going to be getting the Jimny and chucking the tent in the back for now. See how long it takes to get sick of that compared to the campervan luxury we are used too. Then the Roof Tent may well follow suit.

Cheers,
Noddy

• GeordieJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jul 2019 18:38 #210856 by GeordieJimny
Yeah you’re right that’ll be a good boost. Fancy making my own (well wasting money on stuff until I go and buy one) :)

It’s good to mix things up anyway sleep wise, ground tent, in the jimny, roof tent, bivy, whatever gets you out eh

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds