BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof tent on Jimny

• Noddy299
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2019 20:51 #210629 by Noddy299
Roof tent on Jimny was created by Noddy299
Hello, new here.

I am looking at buying a Jimny soon. It will be used as a fishing vehicle around the UK. I am looking at buying a roof tent potentially. Just for ease instead of having a tent in the back, does anyone have any experience with them? Are they any good? How much do they affect the ride?

I won't be doing any really serious off roading but it will involve driving tracks/fields that a normal car wouldn't manage.

Cheers,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2019 21:30 #210635 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Roof tent on Jimny
What you need is the..........Jimny FishingMaster - special edition!!

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Attachments:

• Noddy299
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jul 2019 21:37 #210637 by Noddy299
Replied by Noddy299 on topic Roof tent on Jimny
Wow, I think the fishing master may be a bit beyond my needs for a couple of rods a box of flies and somewhere to sleep Haha.

Cheers,

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jul 2019 04:08 #210645 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Roof tent on Jimny
Welcome to the forum. There's a few examples of Jimny with rtt doing the rounds especially the gen4 cars. I too have been looking at them as a response for a quick weekend away. From what I can gather the hard clamshell type seem to be better both in terms of aero and protection from low foliage. They are not cheap though. Also if you are buying a gen3 car factor in replacement of the original roof rails as they are plastic and not very strong. Also you are going to be overweight on the roof(nominal on the gen3 35kg) probably by double and while it is possible with a suitable bolted on carrier to physically carry the extra safely, you will need to inform your insurance provider that you have modified the roof system and are using a rtt.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Noddy299
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jul 2019 17:52 #210675 by Noddy299
Replied by Noddy299 on topic Roof tent on Jimny
Lambert,

I have seen the hard shells, they seem a good idea. Like you say they are pricey but I dont mind spending a bit more on what will hopefully be weekend accomodation for a few years to come.
The insurance is cheap enough anyways so it will certainly be worthwhile informing them of any changes.

Is there anyone out there with experience of the roof tents of any form?

Cheers,

More
05 Jul 2019 17:58 #210676 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Roof tent on Jimny
I love the idea of a rooftent, but the Jimny isn't really the car for it. Even the lightest one will be more than double the allowed roof loading.

More
05 Jul 2019 18:25 #210678 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Roof tent on Jimny
I think the 35kg refers to the "cheese" that the roof bars are made from.....I carried an 8X4 sheet of ply on those....then noticed what the mountings were made of.....it appears that having Jesus on your side works.

Moved to steel immediately!

Had 250kg on the roof.....interesting handling!

Attachments:

More
05 Jul 2019 19:38 - 05 Jul 2019 19:39 #210680 by Gadget
The allowed load is the same for the Gen4 with steel gutter mounts. It's not the static load, it's the dynamic load, having all that weight up high on such a narrow car is going to seriously compromise the handling. I wouldn't fancy the chances of getting an insurance payout if you had an accident with a rooftent on the car.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2019 19:39 by Gadget.

More
05 Jul 2019 20:31 #210688 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Roof tent on Jimny
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAs many says the weight is an issue.. That and the fact that very few use their roof top tents for very long so most of them end up sold second hand after little use wich makes for good value.
Problems with them other than too much load in a bad place is that it isn't very practical to climb up there to sleep.

I have been looking at something like this:
Link is just the first one i found on ebay as an example.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
06 Jul 2019 02:42 #210692 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Roof tent on Jimny
There's no such restriction on the roof load of the gen4, only on the Suzuki own brand roof bars. Not mentioned at all in the manual. And even roofbox.com who are normally very careful to see pecify roof load limits (they do for all accessories for the earlier gens) don't mention limits other than the roof bar manufacturer's limits (around 70kg).

I carry a 41kg kayak on 10kg of bars/mounts and have no issues although I don't kayak in strong winds so haven't carried the kayak in windy conditions.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jul 2019 05:55 #210693 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Roof tent on Jimny
Any load placed securely on the roof doesn't immediately make a Jimny any more unstable than any other live axle 4x4. What makes them feel unstable is trying to drive them without any consideration of the roof load. It's driver inexperience. It's exactly the same with trailers, the vast amount of people who obviously don't tow regularly and set off like they aren't, only to get into difficulties from going too fast or or not accounting for windage or not knowing how to place a load etc etc. It's all perfectly safe and easy if conducted with a little decorum. As I and others have mentioned though the plastic feet on the gen3 rails are going to have to go which constitutes a modification that the insurance have to be notified of. They may not want to insure, that is up to them but with suitable mounting and a bit of sense from the driver it is no more risky than anything else.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
06 Jul 2019 07:44 #210699 by Gadget

Bill Portland wrote: There's no such restriction on the roof load of the gen4, only on the Suzuki own brand roof bars. Not mentioned at all in the manual. And even roofbox.com who are normally very careful to see pecify roof load limits (they do for all accessories for the earlier gens) don't mention limits other than the roof bar manufacturer's limits (around 70kg).

I carry a 41kg kayak on 10kg of bars/mounts and have no issues although I don't kayak in strong winds so haven't carried the kayak in windy conditions.

There was a big argument on the Aus Facebook group about this. The blurb for the Suzuki roofbars says 30kg, however there are emails from Suzuki Australia that confirm it's 35kg.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.219 seconds