BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Live obd2 monitoring

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jun 2019 08:03 #210221 by Lambert
Live obd2 monitoring was created by Lambert
Hi. As most will know I have an autool x50 live obd2 monitor in Dreadnaught. I bought it primarily for the ability to read actual road speed correlated to gps without having to have a separate gps speedometer running on my phone at the same time as my mapping system. In the meantime it saved me from an overheating problem as I have it displaying coolant temp rpm and battery voltage as well as speed. However the latest update of the mapping now has an in screen speed meaning that I don't need the additional speed app open at the same time. The mapping also now shows revenue cameras but only when following a route which is great and means it is used even if I know where I am going as it's a good reminder. Which brings me to the point, now that I regularly have the mapping on I have a gps speedometer which renders the obd2 one redundant for all but very local trips but I find that I am making myself paranoid watching the temperature and convincing myself that it is running hot or rather not cool enough all the time watching the cluster gauge refuse to go beyond the normal just below half. I have tried to have the obd2 show other things than the temperature but I keep switching back to it just in case it is doing something odd.

So given that most of the time I don't really need it and all it actually does is mess with my head should I delete the obd2 monitor or do I keep it in case the cooling system that I have entirely replaced with new does something weird.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2019 09:21 - 23 Jun 2019 09:22 #210222 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Live obd2 monitoring
I have not having an actual temperature gauge, at least with those you can see when it is starting to creep up above the norm and it gives you chance to pull over before you get too hot. I never know with just the warning lights weather it is too late when the HOT light comes on. I my iQ I fitted a Scan Gauge 2 for the same reason as yours to monitor the temp and voltage. Not got round to fitting it to the Jimny yet. But here is a question, if out doing a good bit of Off Roading does that make the engine run hotter than just highway driving? I know it's not revving as much but thought it must be working harder?

Edit: so to answer your question, I'd keep it now you have and just leave it on the Temp setting. One day you might be glad you did?
Last edit: 23 Jun 2019 09:22 by Soeley.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Jun 2019 09:26 #210223 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Live obd2 monitoring
On motorways I am seeing a reasonably stable 97 to 100 c depending on the incline at a steady 70mph. Off road 85 to 95 c depending on just how slow. But the cluster needle never moves.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
23 Jun 2019 10:30 #210226 by Lambert
For clarity off road the temperature is lower when the terrain demands a gear using 2 to 3k rpm. If you're only able to idle along in lo first mine does get warmer .I have yet to have to use high revs to spin the tyres clean in a going nowhere situation but I would expect that to lift the temperature too.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
24 Jun 2019 06:05 #210246 by Lambert
Ok. So I bit the bullet and disconnected the x50. Immediately the engine feels freed off. Before it has felt like it's been tightening an elastic band which I have been putting down to a slightly binding brake. Not a proper hesitation as such and nothing that was shown by a fault but unplugging the doodad has definitely been beneficial. Live and learn.

More
24 Jun 2019 11:00 #210251 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Live obd2 monitoring
I had this Bluetooth device attached to the port for a long time after i swapped the engine. Allways nice to just start the app on the phone to see how things are while driving. It was useful when the engine light came on while driving, just to start the app on the phone and see what the fault code was and delete it..

I never checked the temperature once while I had it, but air flow was my concern. Allways listening for ignition ping and looking to see how much arflow was in the intake.. Changed my catalytic constrictor.

I tried unhooking the device a couple of times, but then the car behaved badly and smoke was released from something inside the dashboard. luckily the car start up again after connecting the device to the port again. So my car was actually hesistant to go without anyone whatching over it...
Now I have changed my dash cluster and now the car works without the device connected thankfully.
And I have ease of mind.
The thing is inside my car somewhere so I can connect it if there is the need...

Now my only worry is the gear noise from the chain drive due to the lower gear set..
Will be changing the oil again.. and again.. and again..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds