BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN 4 MPG

More
19 Jun 2019 12:34 #210134 by stiffsteve204me
GEN 4 MPG was created by stiffsteve204me
209 miles, on A and B roads, over the last three weeks.

File Attachment:

Keeping up with traffic flow, at no time above 60mph.

More than happy with that, for an Auto.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jun 2019 21:27 #210145 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic GEN 4 MPG
41.2 seems good to me. Something I've always wondered about fuel economy - what's the range of variation between cars? i.e. is there any luck involved in which car you get allocated, or is it all about driving style, driving conditions, fuel quality, tyres, load carried etc? I'm guessing Suzuki build tolerances would leave all gen 4 autos within 1% of each other, all other things being equal. And a loss of 1% might be offset by it a performance gain.

• GeordieJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2019 07:49 #210155 by GeordieJimny
Replied by GeordieJimny on topic GEN 4 MPG
31.9 so far in my auto :pinch:

• Caelite
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jun 2019 13:20 #210158 by Caelite
Replied by Caelite on topic GEN 4 MPG
Old tech Jap autos are like that, me and my mate used to have Shoguns, his was an auto (and LWB) mine was a manual SWB. there was about 6-7mpg of difference between his and mine.

More
20 Jun 2019 17:19 #210167 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic GEN 4 MPG
That's good, nice to see a good improvement.
Anyone checked to see if the ECU calculated MPG is accurate by recording miles per tank, brim the tank each time?
Only asking in light of the recent "scandals" in which manufacturers have been iffy with the software :laugh:

I have done this on my G3 since purchased (1.5 years) and I am happy to report an average over this period of 36.7 mpg. It's sort of a hobby of mine, need to get out more.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
20 Jun 2019 18:26 #210169 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic GEN 4 MPG
I am tracking my fuel usage on the Fuelly app, and it is always within about 1 mpg to what the dashboard is telling me.

More
20 Jun 2019 19:12 #210171 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic GEN 4 MPG
I did check on three neck to neck fills, and the numbers were near enough to make no difference.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

More
20 Jun 2019 21:00 #210174 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic GEN 4 MPG

GeordieJimny wrote: 31.9 so far in my auto :pinch:

Glad I'm not the only one suffering! :S

I reset my computer every time I fill up, so don't have an average from new. Best I've seen on a long run is low 39s, I do a lot of short urban journeys so usually closer to 32-33 on my auto.

I'm a very gentle driver (honestly!) and usually get excellent economy in cars, but not the Jimny, which is weird. Even stranger, one of the best economy runs I've done involved a far bit of 'point & squirt' down twisty country lanes, where I drove like a bit of a hooligan as it was so much fun. Makes me wonder if the Jimny benefits from a slightly more aggressive style of driving?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jun 2019 04:14 #210175 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic GEN 4 MPG
I think you are on to something there. When my dad was regularly driving Dreadnaught he often complained that using a tank of fuel every third week seemed excessive for the mileage he was doing, maybe 50 to 75 a week. The thing was he rarely got to 3000 rpm and insisted on driving like it was a diesel chugging away in completely the wrong gear. When I took over I'm doing a minimum of about 200 miles a week but I am only using a tank every 10 to 12 days or about 300 miles to a tank. How? By not being afraid of the top half of the rev range.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jun 2019 06:42 #210177 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic GEN 4 MPG
I can concur on this..

I been watching my mpg closely this past fee weeks.

Cus i got 215's on, lots of kit in the back im averaging 35.9.

However, on a day or 2 when i was hitting 80mph down the motorway and really caining it, like 4k and 5 k rev range, it increased to 36.4.

Couldbt believe it!

More
21 Jun 2019 09:37 #210179 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic GEN 4 MPG
Wonder if it's because I'm used to driving turbo cars (petrol, not yucky diesel :whistle:), where you tend to get the best economy by keeping them off-boost. Going to try driving the Jimny differently, getting up to speed more quickly.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jun 2019 10:59 #210180 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic GEN 4 MPG
Generally speaking I do just that. Beans up to a desired speed then hold in whichever cog gives above 3k , that way you're able to have so go if needed without lots of rapid changes.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds