BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Any HAM/Amateur Radio Operators Here

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2019 14:35 #208879 by Jim Jim
Any HAM/Amateur Radio Operators Here was created by Jim Jim
I know the guys in the UK are big into HAM radio and looking forward to rigging up my Jimny with HAM gear.

I am the owner of a VHF station here which has worldwide connectivity through Echolink. Most of you will know that there apps for Echolink on Andriod and Apple smart phones and tablets.

Would be nice to create a list of HAMs here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2019 14:44 #208880 by mlines
G1SEO

(echolink capable)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2019 14:56 #208881 by Jim Jim
Replied by Jim Jim on topic Any HAM/Amateur Radio Operators Here
Nice to know you are a HAM Martin.
My Canaidan call sign is VA3RIR and in Barbados where I now reside its 8P6RR

I will have a Kenwood DM-710G and an Icom IC-2100 for aircraft frequencies when I get the Jimny on the road.
I will be relocating my repeating station in the near future for better island wide coverage.
Would be nice to catch you guys via EchoLink later.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2019 18:37 #208890 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Any HAM/Amateur Radio Operators Here

Jim Jim wrote: Nice to know you are a HAM Martin.
My Canaidan call sign is VA3RIR and in Barbados where I now reside its 8P6RR

I will have a Kenwood DM-710G and an Icom IC-2100 for aircraft frequencies when I get the Jimny on the road.
I will be relocating my repeating station in the near future for better island wide coverage.

I used to enjoy scanners when the old bill used non-tetra radio's. It was buzzing with action, and gave me an early warning when smoking behind the bike sheds ;-)

CB was always a bit lame i thought (no offence to anyone who still uses em to natter) but for the gen 4 with others using em, i may as well hook it up come October. Got 2 HAM portable's, which i bought not realising you need licensing etc. So now they are for emergency only situations.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 04:03 #208959 by Andy2640

GeorgeC wrote: Hi Andy,

The combining of 4 Wheel Drive and Ham Radio is a popular activity and in some countries there are organised Field Days and Contests. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Day_(amateur_radio)

In other places, the Activation of Parks and Remote Locations for rare QSL cards can be a rewarding activity. parksnpeaks.org/alerts.php & www.wwffaustralia.com

About a month back, when I was Forum-inactive, I listened-in to the John Moyle Memorial Field Day, a VHF-UHF Contest, and was very tempted to jump in the Jimny, find a suitable hill top and give out some numbers. www.wia.org.au/members/contests/johnmoyle/

Andy, give some consideration to formal study for a Licence, it can open many doors and gates!

Excellent idea George! Been meaning to go to a local club for donkey's! Its on my to-do list. Cheers for reminding me buddy!

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 12:49 #209008 by Jim Jim

GeorgeC wrote: Hi Andy,

The combining of 4 Wheel Drive and Ham Radio is a popular activity and in some countries there are organised Field Days and Contests. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Day_(amateur_radio)

In other places, the Activation of Parks and Remote Locations for rare QSL cards can be a rewarding activity. parksnpeaks.org/alerts.php & www.wwffaustralia.com

About a month back, when I was Forum-inactive, I listened-in to the John Moyle Memorial Field Day, a VHF-UHF Contest, and was very tempted to jump in the Jimny, find a suitable hill top and give out some numbers. www.wia.org.au/members/contests/johnmoyle/

Andy, give some consideration to formal study for a Licence, it can open many doors and gates!

Very kind of you George to post the links and encouraging another member to become a HAM radio operator, the acts of a true HAM.

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 12:52 #209009 by Jim Jim

GeorgeC wrote:

Jim Jim wrote: Nice to know you are a HAM Martin. My Canadian call sign is VA3RIR and in Barbados where I now reside its 8P6RR. I will have a Kenwood DM-710G and an Icom IC-2100 for aircraft frequencies when I get the Jimny on the road.

Jim you just reminded me of the chap in our local Repeater Group who carries the spare/portable 2M Repeater with it's 6 Cavity Filters in the back of his Jimny! :) Great for Hamfests and field days!

So true George, some of my friends in Canada have no room for rear seat passengers, all radio gear more than a repeating station lol. These guys cover every band and with full power. I would be concerned sitting in their vehicles with all that RF energy radiated during transmission LOL

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2019 08:30 #209053 by Andy2640

Jim Jim wrote:

GeorgeC wrote:

Jim Jim wrote: Nice to know you are a HAM Martin. My Canadian call sign is VA3RIR and in Barbados where I now reside its 8P6RR. I will have a Kenwood DM-710G and an Icom IC-2100 for aircraft frequencies when I get the Jimny on the road.

Jim you just reminded me of the chap in our local Repeater Group who carries the spare/portable 2M Repeater with it's 6 Cavity Filters in the back of his Jimny! :) Great for Hamfests and field days!

So true George, some of my friends in Canada have no room for rear seat passengers, all radio gear more than a repeating station lol. These guys cover every band and with full power. I would be concerned sitting in their vehicles with all that RF energy radiated during transmission LOL

Imagine what TETRA does to our police officers!

• florinelu07
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2019 19:59 #209088 by florinelu07
Replied by florinelu07 on topic Any HAM/Amateur Radio Operators Here
Greetings by YO6GTJ

Diamond dual band antenna in the Jimny all the time + Yaesu VX8.

73!

• Jim Jim
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 May 2019 21:06 #209092 by Jim Jim

florinelu07 wrote: Greetings by YO6GTJ

Diamond dual band antenna in the Jimny all the time + Yaesu VX8.

73!

Greetings to you too. This is great, we can arrange to HAM chat sometime soon if we can all get onto echolink. If you don't have echolink in your area, you can download the app onto your phone and connect to my echolink node and we can chat.

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds