BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Bad back, caused by Jimny, solved by four concrete posts.

• Ayli Carper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2019 16:17 #208590 by Ayli Carper
I bought my Jimny last August. Love it, but my back had been getting bad over the winter. Really bad.

Then it got better, and my partner said, quite innocently: "Well, you haven't driven the Jimny for the last two weeks." Which was right.

Back in the Jimny, back got bad again. I was near to a deal to chop it in for a 3 door Grand Vitara, but I didn't want to.

Then the water softener shop finally had some granules in and I bought three bags. I normally buy one and put it in the passenger footwell. But with three, I put them in the boot. Revelation. I have half a mile of humps to drive over twice a day and a quarter mile along a bypass the undulations of which jar something horrid with the wheelbase of the car. It wasn't gliding over them, but it was so much better.

I don't want 75kilos of salt in my boot. I went to the builder's yard and found four concrete edging posts that fit unbelievably snugly in the boot. 914 x 150 x 50mm. (I think they mean a yard by six by two.)

Eg fairalls.uk/shop/landscaping-and-gardeni...x-150-x-914mm-edg01/

The ones facing the back need a little help to fit with the use of a hammer, but then they just take up the space under the lip. The seats still fold down okay. I hardly notice the lack of space (27.5 litres). They are slightly behind the back axle but I can't say I've noticed any lightening up of the steering.

My partner said "Don't drive it into a deep river". Very good advice.

They were dusty and had spiky edges, so I wrapped them in parcel tape.

Best twenty quid I have ever spent in my life!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 May 2019 16:32 #208591 by Lambert
Result. Can I ask what tyre pressure are you running, because that has a massive impact on ride comfort? Many tyre places leave them at 30 psi plus when they should be 23 front and 26 rear.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 May 2019 16:59 #208596 by stiffsteve204me

Ayli Carper wrote: I bought my Jimny last August. Love it, but my back had been getting bad over the winter. Really bad.

Then it got better, and my partner said, quite innocently: "Well, you haven't driven the Jimny for the last two weeks." Which was right.

Back in the Jimny, back got bad again. I was near to a deal to chop it in for a 3 door Grand Vitara, but I didn't want to.

Then the water softener shop finally had some granules in and I bought three bags. I normally buy one and put it in the passenger footwell. But with three, I put them in the boot. Revelation. I have half a mile of humps to drive over twice a day and a quarter mile along a bypass the undulations of which jar something horrid with the wheelbase of the car. It wasn't gliding over them, but it was so much better.

I don't want 75kilos of salt in my boot. I went to the builder's yard and found four concrete edging posts that fit unbelievably snugly in the boot. 914 x 150 x 50mm. (I think they mean a yard by six by two.)

Eg fairalls.uk/shop/landscaping-and-gardeni...x-150-x-914mm-edg01/

The ones facing the back need a little help to fit with the use of a hammer, but then they just take up the space under the lip. The seats still fold down okay. I hardly notice the lack of space (27.5 litres). They are slightly behind the back axle but I can't say I've noticed any lightening up of the steering.

My partner said "Don't drive it into a deep river". Very good advice.

They were dusty and had spiky edges, so I wrapped them in parcel tape.

Best twenty quid I have ever spent in my life!

As it happens, I mentioned to SWMBO how much better our SZ5 felt, when loaded. Ride, handling,noise level, all noticeably improved.

She replied, Huh? :laugh: , but I still love her to bits.

As to tyre pressures, I have to admit that I have not checked them since I collected it from the Dealership. :whistle:

Steve.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2019 17:33 - 21 May 2019 17:34 #208601 by Daniel30
If your pressure's are OK some of these might help
Suzuki Jimny AVO Fully Adjustable Shocks set it to a softer setting ;)
Last edit: 21 May 2019 17:34 by Daniel30.

More
21 May 2019 17:45 #208605 by facade
Watch that you don't put it overweight if you carry passengers.

They can only carry four very small people, put 4 90kg strapping hunks of manhood like me in and the thing will go straight over the plated weight without any luggage or ballast. :ohmy:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Ayli Carper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2019 20:00 #208619 by Ayli Carper
Thank you for all your excellent replies.

I thought after I pressed submit 'Tyre pressures!!!'. Oh dear. So I checked them, and they were 22.5 psi front and 23.5 psi rear. Phew!

I must (shamefully) admit I'd rather have lumps of concrete rather than adjustable shocks, which sums up where I am with cars.

Four posts weigh 64kg, a ten stone weakling in the boot. Four 90kg men in a Jimny would be an amazing sight.

• Ayli Carper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2019 20:07 #208622 by Ayli Carper
Got one of those too thanks. And those posts cannot move. They were made for a Jimny's boot.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 May 2019 09:48 #208650 by Lambert
Just out of curiosity how old is your Jimny? It just sounds a bit like it's an older one with original tired factory suspension if as you say it's crashing about on speed bumps. It could be that it's bottoming out onto the bump stops. Mine was very similar for a while where loading it made it nicer but all it was actually doing was masking the tiredness. If however it's a late low mileage car then the ballast might have a place?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ayli Carper

• Ayli Carper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 14:31 #209015 by Ayli Carper
Thank you for your replies. I love the idea of a blast protected Jimny - maximum speed eight miles per hour.

My Jimny is 2009 at 50k miles, I'd hope at that point stock suspension would still be serviceable.

What did you change to make an improvement?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
26 May 2019 15:35 #209018 by Lambert
I replaced my springs with factory ones and dampers with standard height trailmaster. It made a healthy difference but mine was on 85k when I changed.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ayli Carper

• Ayli Carper
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 20:04 #209040 by Ayli Carper
Thanks that's really interesting I'll look into those soon.

Great to see the correct terminology too, LJK Setright would be proud.

('The spring is the shock absorber, the telescopic device is a damper')

More
27 May 2019 12:25 #209060 by HUN
Hi.

Before I could fully read this post I thought the title was accidently phrased the other way around. "Bad back caused by four concrete post solved by Jimny" Ha-ha.
So instead of considering correct manual handling technics I suggest to consider your safety in case of an accident! If I was you I would remove the unsecured concrete blocks and look for alternatives (HD steel rear bumper?)

Just an idea.

Regards. Gabor

TrailMaster 2" lift kit
Full floating rear axle conversion, JB underbody guards & recovery points
ORE transfer box HD brackets
T-Max split charge system
X-Shock Dakar ceramic clutch kit & roof rack
Flo-Flex castor polybushes
Kumho KL71 tyres
AVM manual hubs
ORA radius arm guards
Push-fit breathers

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds