BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

GEN4 Fuel Guage

More
16 May 2019 18:56 - 16 May 2019 18:57 #208146 by stiffsteve204me
Driving home (NE Scotland), from Northumberland today, starting with a full tank of fuel. I was hoping to get to Buckie, about fifteen miles from home, to re-fuel.
Well into the journey,the fuel gauge was showing two bars, and the OBD range remaining, indicated, 33 miles, although averaging 40+ mpg. :huh:
Some five miles from Aberlour, and the dashboard warning light came on, and "boinged" at me. Range = SFA. Gauge then dropped to one bar, and the filling station in Aberlour seemed like a good idea. As per the last fill, I decided on a "to the neck"job, and only managed just over 30 Ltr.
Allowing a bit of leeway for a level forecourt, I'm guessing that I still had 5-10 Ltr. when the Range indicator said zero.

Nice to know, but I have no intention of putting it to the test. :lol:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
Last edit: 16 May 2019 18:57 by stiffsteve204me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2019 20:30 #208153 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage
I've had the same experience - even if it's showing a reasonable range remaining, as soon as the gauge drops to the final bar, the range vanishes and the low fuel light comes on. Happened to me on the M25 and it was squeaky bum time until I got to the next services!
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

More
17 May 2019 06:56 #208172 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage
My old diesel SAAB was pretty accurate and I did trust it, although others in the SAAB forum wouldnt trust it at all. Had it been a petrol car I would have put it to the test by simply carrying a can of fuel with me and seeing how far it would in fact go.

I was always led to believe that most manufacturers have a "built in" reserve of about 30 miles remaining once the car is telling you it has nothing left.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
17 May 2019 10:30 #208190 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage
Mine is consistent in that when it says i have about 50 miles range left, I can only get about 26 or 27 litres into it. Seems to have lots left in reserve.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2019 16:55 - 17 May 2019 16:57 #208219 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage

Max Headroom wrote: My old diesel SAAB was pretty accurate and I did trust it, although others in the SAAB forum wouldnt trust it at all. Had it been a petrol car I would have put it to the test by simply carrying a can of fuel with me and seeing how far it would in fact go.

I was always led to believe that most manufacturers have a "built in" reserve of about 30 miles remaining once the car is telling you it has nothing left.[/quo

Indeed they do, kinda like my organic chicken fillets in the fridge, went off according to date 3 days ago, but still good to go. Everyhting has built in "margins", except of course phone credit....when that gone....it is gone ;-)

Last edit: 17 May 2019 16:57 by Andy2640.

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2019 11:40 #208251 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage
Obviously the impact of the "Amber Nectar"!

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2019 11:42 #208253 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage

stiffsteve204me wrote: Driving home (NE Scotland), from Northumberland today, starting with a full tank of fuel. I was hoping to get to Buckie, about fifteen miles from home, to re-fuel.

Steve.

Anybody contemplating a larger fuel tank as and when these come onto the market?

And for anyone who has put these on a Gen 3 - have they had any problems?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 May 2019 12:56 #208256 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage
As far as I am aware the old long range tank is from ARB for the gen2 and is massively expensive. Paranoid industries were talking about one but?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 May 2019 22:00 #208296 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage

Lambert wrote: As far as I am aware the old long range tank is from ARB for the gen2 and is massively expensive. Paranoid industries were talking about one but?

Paranoid seem to have gone very quiet and lacking in any updates. I wonder if they are still on-board with the Jimny?

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2019 06:05 #208306 by Andy2640

Soeley wrote:

Lambert wrote: As far as I am aware the old long range tank is from ARB for the gen2 and is massively expensive. Paranoid industries were talking about one but?

Paranoid seem to have gone very quiet and lacking in any updates. I wonder if they are still on-board with the Jimny?

Summit dont feel right about paranoid ind. Who knows, may have run into financial difficulties, lost interest in the gen 4, or...??

Would of thought they'd of been on here to give a follow up on there progress, after all, they did come to us.

More
19 May 2019 07:33 #208311 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic GEN4 Fuel Guage

Andy2640 wrote:

Soeley wrote:

Summit dont feel right about paranoid ind. Who knows, may have run into financial difficulties, lost interest in the gen 4, or...??

Would of thought they'd of been on here to give a follow up on there progress, after all, they did come to us.

Andy, I did contact them, before I went on holiday, and their reply was that kit would be available for the Gen4 around July, IIRC.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 May 2019 07:38 #208313 by Andy2640

stiffsteve204me wrote:

Andy2640 wrote:

Soeley wrote:

Andy, I did contact them, before I went on holiday, and their reply was that kit would be available for the Gen4 around July, IIRC.

Steve.

Ahaa.... Ok, fair enough! Good to hear, hope they deliver. I for one will be very interested in thier products. Cheers Steve

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds