BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New white SZ4 - possible SZ5 upgrades

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 May 2019 16:52 #208217 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic New white SZ4 - possible SZ5 upgrades

Lambert wrote: Probably just wants to bypass the waiting list! Hahahahaha! :laugh:

Bloody gold digger! I'm taking your observation as gospel lord Lambert. In that case i'll show her the back seats, and be done with it.

Back on the waiting list for Marie J Rottencrotch!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jimmysgen4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 May 2019 12:11 #208577 by Jimmysgen4
Replied by Jimmysgen4 on topic New white SZ4 - possible SZ5 upgrades
I have a White SZ4, it has all the same gizmos its the infotainment, heated seats leather steering wheel, LED lights, alloys and a couple of other bits that are different but the braking, lane departure, auto lights etc all the same. The standard lights are amazing and better than the Xenons on my other vehicle I personally thing the auto lights and auto dip works spot on for me, I get loads of comments about how cool my steelies are and the tyres look chunkier on them too, the black handles contrast the white lovely, I had my windows tinted for just over £100 and colour coded my mirror cases and the front bumper moulding (where the overpriced pretend skid plate accessory fits over) on the front bumper myself. I didn't get a model choice but I am thrilled with the car and personally for my needs I would have not paid the extra for the 5 as it suits me fine., enjoy it! :-)

More
21 May 2019 16:46 #208593 by Jon100
Tomorrow we should be collecting our new Jimny. Last summer we nearly bought a late reg white Gen3 SZ4 but it didn't have aircon so we thought we'd wait for the new model. I suspect we've been suckered into thinking we need lots more goodies, but realy we don't.

Are your windows tinted with a plastic film? Our S-Cross came with them as standard, the windows are manufactured - tinted. They stop too much sunlight and preying eyes but are easy to see out of and don't feel oppressive in the car.

Looking at SZ4 pictures I thought the wing mirrors are already black along with the door handles and bumper? What do you mean by 'colour coded ' and 'bumper moulding'?

Jon and Julie

• Jimmysgen4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 09:43 - 22 May 2019 09:49 #208649 by Jimmysgen4

Jon100 wrote: T What do you mean by 'colour coded ' and 'bumper moulding'?

Jon and Julie

The mirrors are painted black on the SZ5 and are just black textured plastic on the SZ4, I painted mine as I am a painter and like mirror cases the same colour
as the car, the front bumper colours coding as in the attached picture, I thought there was too much black plastic on the front and couldn't afford / justify the silver trim that you can buy from the dealer that fits over the top to look like a protective tray so I painted it in the same colour as the body too. My local tint man did my rear windows one step darker than the standard SZ5 rear tints but thats just because I have sign writing on mine and I wanted the background to be darker.
Attachments:
Last edit: 22 May 2019 09:49 by Jimmysgen4.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 May 2019 09:52 #208651 by Lambert
That's looking good. The additional white makes it look a little less contrived. The graphics help too.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimmysgen4

More
22 May 2019 11:25 #208656 by Jon100
Impressive. Yes I think a balance of black and white really works.

Just looked at the cost of a Suzuki ‘bumper front lower trim’ - £415.40 - wow.
You say the mirror housings are textured, did you just apply paint or first remove the ‘texture’, if so how? And the bumper ?

It seems we’re not getting our Jimny today, Suzuki are waiting for the boot liner and rubber mats we ordered, they’re still on back order.

• Jimmysgen4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 11:59 #208658 by Jimmysgen4

Jon100 wrote: did you just apply paint or first remove the ‘texture’, if so how? And the bumper ?.

I removed the mirror cases & grey scotched them, plastic adhesion promoter and then straight on with base and clear. The front was the same but done in situ with the help of some lovely 3M fine line masking tape to get a perfect sharp edge. I like the painted texture look which you used to get on the Gen 3 jimny and RAV4's, I think it looks nice but as it happens the clear flowed out over all the texture on the mirror cases but the front bumper is still visibly textured. I have been doing this long enough and seen sooooo many cars with heaps of 2k primer on the front bumpers (mainly T5's) , one chip and it sheets off or fractures and splits so I went with minimal material build so If I do get a chip it should be just a touch in job. The most difficult part in all honesty was removing the number plate holding bracket.. talk about over engineered! every time I took a bolt out I found 2 more holding it in place :-)

More
22 May 2019 14:34 #208673 by Jon100
As I thought, lots of preparation and skilled application.

I've just Googled grey Scotch, plastic adhesion promoter and 3m fine tape. All inexpensive but I guess for a durable job experience would count.

In the past I've used Auto Body Tech Ilkeston Rd Notts for painting. They made an excellent job of my mrk 1 MX5. So I'll leave it to the experts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimmysgen4

• Jimmysgen4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2019 12:43 #208801 by Jimmysgen4
I agree :-)

More
02 Jun 2019 17:53 #209484 by Jon100
We've now had our Jimny for one whole week and have driven 150+ miles on undulating pot holed 'B' roads.

First impressions:

Initially I didn't like the low speed gearbox whine and high revs, but now at times in low gear the car seems like an adorable old fashioned truck, but given some welly I'm sure it transforms in to a citroen 2CV, a really enjoyable sound. We didn't know the Jimny was air cooled!

As the miles increase the vague steering is getting less vague and the ride less wobbly and floaty. Our only want is for a rear view camera, since with a permanent Suzuki dog guard and big German Shepherd - rear visibility is limited. But our SZ4 has no Sat Nav display to view a camera image.

Just like waiting for a bus, the dealer we originally placed our order with phoned yesterday to say our SZ5 was ready to collect ! D'oh!

So two weeks ago we had none and now we could have two Jimmy's ...

But we've decided to keep our SZ4 and dam the Sat Nav / camera - we'll learn how to turn our heads and look past the dog.

Questions:

We have two window switches, the drivers has an 'A' - shouldn't the driver's window be one-touch ?

What are the tyre pressures (26 psi front and 27.5 psi rear)?

Is undersealing with Bilt Hamber dynax UC a good idea? We're going to pop the Jimny on our friendly engineers ramp on Thursday and see what could be sealed with wax. Suggestions. Has anyone here used this product?

Having fun

Jon and Julie

and how do we add a photo ?

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds