BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2" suspension lift on Jimny with 2" body lift

More
18 Apr 2019 21:22 #206345 by Wailin
What's the thoughts on this? My jimny had a 2" body lift when I bought it and it has 235/75 BFG tyres. Would a suspension lift improve how it drives and make it less jarring over speed ramps, bad roads etc or would it compromise how it handles on road? 80% of my driving with it is on road but I do like to venture off when I can, mostly just rutted lanes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Apr 2019 05:47 #206348 by Lambert
If it's on the original tired suspension then anything involving new components will have a beneficial effect on the way it rides. It is possible to get new standard height but better quality than factory springs and dampers that won't add to it being anymore top heavy than it already is. There are also some cheaper lift kits that use heavier duty components to give the lift which will aid in controlling the raised centre of gravity fro your body lift but they will not have the suppleness needed for off road. It is possible to work out the best compromise but it will take some trial and error.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wailin

More
19 Apr 2019 08:37 #206351 by sniper
2+2 is a common enough combination and I've not heard of any extreme issue's with it.

Springs seem to be a bit of a tricky area, lots of people seem to struggle to get a ride they are happy with, me included.

The best reports as a kit are from the "Trailmaster 2 inch comfort kit" which Martin does at a good price in the BigJimny shop (top of the page). Most buyers report a big improvement in road manners and off road ability.

I chose Eibach springs recently and am very pleased with them but they only come at +30mm. I've got those matched to AVO adjustable dampers and am very happy but they are expensive.

Also change your anti roll bar bushes to poly, that helped with crashing over humps and they are cheap/easy to fit. It also "fixed" the front end a little, making it feel more solid.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wailin

More
19 Apr 2019 09:26 #206352 by Wailin
Thanks guys. A 30mm lift sounds perfect sniper and probably less of a change in road handling compared to 50mm. With a 2" body lift already done, would i need to extend brake lines now with any type of suspension lift, even just 30mm? What about steering extension? I'm hoping for as little alterations as possible as I'll be doing it all myself...less to go wrong!

More
19 Apr 2019 10:29 #206355 by sniper
I have extended lines purely because I wanted braided bake lines (I like the no sponge pedal feel) so I can't really answer..... they don't look necessary.

No other mods required.

Have a look for the Eibach stuff in Germany and Poland through Ebay. I saved £150 on my springs as opposed to UK prices.

Eibach "Pro-Lift" also do a kit with Bilstein dampers for the Jimny, I think I saw that for as little as £500 in Poland. Thats an absolute bargain considering billy's are around £100 each in the UK and springs are £350 retail for the set.

sniper

More
19 Apr 2019 11:48 #206358 by jackonlyjack
What tyre pressures you running Wailin this can have a big effect on ride feel
Extended lines are only needed if you're removing anti roll bar
I have 225/75/16's BFG KM2's now running all four at 17psi

Jack

More
19 Apr 2019 12:07 #206359 by sniper
Good point jack.... I checked mine the other day and the young lady in front of me at the tyre inflator put 32psi in her Fiat 500 all round.... it must have been like driving on solid rubber.

sniper

More
21 Apr 2019 11:41 #206449 by Wailin
Cheers guys, I'm currently running the 235/75s at 22 psi. Too much? They seem a little under inflated at that to me.

More
21 Apr 2019 12:26 #206450 by sniper
Personal preference really, 22psi is in the right range, my AT's are at 24psi but it's mostly a tarmac car so I want stiff sidewalls.

sniper

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds