BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 5 Jimny - 2020

More
16 Apr 2019 09:51 #206198 by mlines
Gen 5 Jimny - 2020 was created by mlines
Rumour for discussion, enjoy your Gen 4 whilst it lasts

Picture by By Mariordo - Mario Roberto Durán Ortiz - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0,

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2019 09:52 #206199 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020
That looks awful. Sorry i dont like that at all.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Apr 2019 10:16 #206200 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020
So all that talk fro what's his face design boss in Japan that the gen4 shape was designed for the next 20 years is what, hoacum?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
16 Apr 2019 11:27 - 16 Apr 2019 11:35 #206205 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020
Here's my thoughts, the shape and the 1500cc engine are here for the foreseeable future and this my reasoning. The shape is bang on and everyone knows it so that's safe. The engine however does create some debate, large car companies have to meet overall CO2 emissions, it is possible to have a high CO2 engine as long as all the models combined together meets the company CO2 allowance. Austin Martin did this trick with the Cygnet, Suzuki has shied away from a high revving, low cc, turbo charged engine in the Jimny, they are not as smooth as a naturally aspirated engine in the low ratio gears.
Fully electric has massive torque, however I don't think we are there yet technology for a small off roader, I wouldn't think water wading and electric make good bed fellows...
Last edit: 16 Apr 2019 11:35 by Foxtrot.

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2019 11:33 #206206 by G-imny
Replied by G-imny on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020
I would love an electric Jimny but I don’t think the technology is yet available to fit a reasonable sized battery in a Kei car body at an affordable price. So I think we are safe with the current car for a while.

They can use Toyotas hybrid tech to lower CO2 in the interim.

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2019 11:35 #206207 by G-imny
Replied by G-imny on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020
Electric propulsion and water can work fine together (submarines) so it should be possible to make work in an SUV.

More
16 Apr 2019 12:01 #206208 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020

G-imny wrote: Electric propulsion and water can work fine together (submarines) so it should be possible to make work in an SUV.

I can see where your coming from, however all the submarines electrickery is sealed in a big watertight cigar tube.. When salt water got onto the old submarine batteries it caused a chemical reaction of chlorine gas..:sick:

More
16 Apr 2019 15:21 - 16 Apr 2019 15:22 #206211 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020

Lambert wrote: So all that talk fro what's his face design boss in Japan that the gen4 shape was designed for the next 20 years is what, hoacum?

I think that has to have the caveat of "marketplace" added to it.

Suzuki are not going to throw away the millions they invested in the new Jimny, but the EU market place is going to make it a difficult and expensive sell next year (2020). However the Asian, African and South American markets do not have the same restricitions. Therefore it probably does have a 20 year life as a workhorse in these countries. Meanwhile it is withdrawn from the EU to be replace with electric/hybrids badged from Toyota.

There is some concern within the UK that there are no shipments being discussed from September onwards plus the Toyota partnership........

(Just putting 2 + 2 together and making 5)

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 16 Apr 2019 15:22 by mlines.

More
16 Apr 2019 15:36 - 16 Apr 2019 15:37 #206213 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020
Suzuki rebadging the Toyota RAV4 EV makes sense given the recently announced collaboration between the two. Very much doubt that'll be branded as a Jimny though, as it's very much a softroader.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2019 15:37 by Gadget.

More
16 Apr 2019 15:44 #206216 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020

As a part of the new collaboration plans, Toyota will supply EV version of the Toyota RAV4 to Suzuki for sale in the European car market Suzuki and Toyota recently announced their plans to expand their collaboration to new fields, which will see the two companies building on each other’s strengths in various areas. As a part of the plan, Suzuki will supply units of Ertiga and Ciaz to Toyota, while the bigger of the two Japanese companies will be in charge of supplying hybrid powertrains to its partner.

Toyota will even supply a Toyota RAV-based electric SUV to Suzuki for sale in Europe. Other than the EV version of the Toyota RAV4, the company will also supply an electric version of the Corolla Estate. In India, the company will provide its Japanese partner with the Corolla Altis, which will help Maruti Suzuki re-enter the D-segment after the demise of the Kizashi several years ago.

The electric version of the Toyota RAV4 that supplied to Suzuki will be an all-new variant that will be based on the Europe-spec SUV. The company will use the original SUV’s advanced TNGA-K platform that will support an electric powertrain. The other vehicle that Suzuki will receive will be the electric-powered Corolla Wagon, which will be underpinned by the TNGA-C platform.

The Toyota New Global Architecture (TNGA) has helped the carmaker with weight-savings while offering great dynamics. Currently, the fifth-gen Toyota RAV4 hybrid is being sold in Europe with a hybrid powerplant. It made its debut at the 2019 Paris Motor Show and is powered by a 2.5-litre petrol engine that is supported by two electric motors.

Together, the setup produces a maximum power of 222 PS. The motor comes mated to a CVT, while the hybrid vehicle is available with an optional 4WD. The EV version of the Toyota RAV4 that will be provided to Suzuki is expected to share many panels with the current version but it will come with new wheels, badges, and expectedly a revised front fascia that will be in line with Suzuki’s current design language.

The interior of the Suzuki’s version of the Toyota RAV4 will remain mostly the same, with the only difference arising out of a new gear lever, new badges, and a revised instrument console. You can watch this space for more on the collaboration between the two Japanese automotive giants.

Source: gaadiwaadi.com/suzuki-to-sell-toyota-rav...ctric-suv-in-europe/

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2019 16:18 #206223 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020

mlines wrote:

Lambert wrote: So all that talk fro what's his face design boss in Japan that the gen4 shape was designed for the next 20 years is what, hoacum?

I think that has to have the caveat of "marketplace" added to it.

Suzuki are not going to throw away the millions they invested in the new Jimny, but the EU market place is going to make it a difficult and expensive sell next year (2020). However the Asian, African and South American markets do not have the same restricitions. Therefore it probably does have a 20 year life as a workhorse in these countries. Meanwhile it is withdrawn from the EU to be replace with electric/hybrids badged from Toyota.

There is some concern within the UK that there are no shipments being discussed from September onwards plus the Toyota partnership........

(Just putting 2 + 2 together and making 5)

I don't want to be a 'Conspiracy Theorist' but it would be one, and only one, explanation for why no one is 'grabbing hold' of the current communications foul-up.

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Apr 2019 21:24 #206246 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic Gen 5 Jimny - 2020
No such emissions regs in the US or Australia afaik, so the demise of the Jimny in Europe could free up supply for Australia unless Toyota start rebadging Jimny's for sale in US. New rumour.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds