BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:SQUEALING

• Staceynye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Apr 2019 18:03 #205829 by Staceynye
SQUEALING was created by Staceynye
Hi guys
I have an 05 jimny with 130,000 on the clock. The squealing started a while back, popped it in the garage and they did alternator belts and tensioning etc! Said there was still a squeak on start up and it was the starter motor! Now the squealing is pretty much constant! I have been leaving it to warm up for 15mins but as soon as I pull off my drive the squeal begins and continues, the only way it stops is to drop the clutch, at junctions it starts again! It's driving me mad, I don't think it can be a starter motor when it's pretty much all the time! Any ideas before I put it back in the garage? Would prefer to be able to sort it at home :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2019 18:19 - 10 Apr 2019 19:03 #205831 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic SQUEALING
My money's on the clutch release bearing.

It could last a very long time like that but the noise might go away with the warm weather.

The only way to replace it is gearbox off job, at which point you might as well do the clutch at the same time as it's marginally more labour.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 10 Apr 2019 19:03 by kirkynut.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
11 Apr 2019 06:02 #205858 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic SQUEALING
If the noise is from the belts area then I would assume the crank pulley has started to delaminate, making it wobble and cause the squealing from the belts.

Open the bonnet with the engine running and have a look down. its the bottom one. should be spinning straight. if its at an angle or wobbling then thats the problem.

Bigjimny shop sells them at a good price ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
11 Apr 2019 12:01 #205879 by jjabbot
Replied by jjabbot on topic Re:SQUEALING
I had a bad squeal on an 02 Jimny with 95k miles. It disappeared after changing a tensioner pulley and genuine suzuki belts. Not cheap, but solved it. Not the crank pulley, the one to the right as you look from the front of the car

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

More
16 Apr 2019 22:29 #206249 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:SQUEALING
Does it get worse if you use more things like radio; wipers; lights; heater fan; radio etc?

Only my neighbours squealed like a stuck pig the more load put on it.
Turned out that the alternator was at fault - cx'd the alternator and it was then perfect however much current was being drawn

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
17 Apr 2019 22:46 #206311 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Re:SQUEALING

GeorgeC wrote: I'll put $5 on both the Clutch Thrust Bearing and the Belt Tensioner Pulley Bearing. The "foot on the clutch pedal" comment has me wriggling in my seat! :huh:

I'm with you but everyone else seems to be overlooking that comment.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds