BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New engine's and "Running in".

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2019 18:01 #205614 by Andy2640
New engine's and "Running in". was created by Andy2640
Do modern new engines require a running in period?

Anyone know if the Gen 4's handbook recommends this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2019 18:21 #205616 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic New engine's and "Running in".

GeorgeC wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: Do modern new engines require a running in period?
Anyone know if the Gen 4's handbook recommends this?

Yes, and Yes. Its 2am here, the manual is out in the car, its too cold and the boogy man is about. :evil:

Dont be lazy George, go and get it mate ;-) P.S > Boogey men are always fellow humans.

More
06 Apr 2019 18:47 #205618 by stiffsteve204me
Regardless of what a handbook might say, it would go against my instincts not to run in a new engine. Yes, I know that they are built to fine tolerance etc., etc., but taking things easy for the first thousand miles is no hardship. Avoiding high revs through the gears, steady acceleration, etc. will, IMO, benefit the engine in the long run. A thousand miles on the motorway, at 70 mph. is not running in.

I accept that others may disagree, but any new car that I have had, has been treated with a little TLC for at least the first thousand miles. After that, don't drive it like you have stolen it. build up gradually.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
06 Apr 2019 22:29 #205625 by Bob1050
This topic is like tyres, oils and toothpaste - very personal and potentially very emotive. Personally I like to treat my new vehicles gently and let all the components bed together before brisk exercise. I also ensure all components get up to their normal working temperatures (most engine wear happens on short runs) and never over-rev or have the vehicle struggling at too low revs. 'Drive it like you stole it' might be fine if you are on PCP and change your car every 24 months.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640, stiffsteve204me

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Apr 2019 23:59 #205626 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic New engine's and "Running in".
I have put over 1000 miles on mine and the engine has definitely ‘loosened up’ compared to when it was new.

Mpg has increased from 39 to 42 suggesting that load on the engine has eased.

More
07 Apr 2019 06:33 #205631 by stiffsteve204me

Bob1050 wrote: This topic is like tyres, oils and toothpaste - very personal and potentially very emotive. Personally I like to treat my new vehicles gently and let all the components bed together before brisk exercise. I also ensure all components get up to their normal working temperatures (most engine wear happens on short runs) and never over-rev or have the vehicle struggling at too low revs. 'Drive it like you stole it' might be fine if you are on PCP and change your car every 24 months.

Spot on, Bob.

Even now, with my car approaching six years old, I still wait for the oil to reach a decent temperature, before I use any high revs.

I have an engineering background, so have an inbuilt sympathy for cold engines having their nuts revved off. :laugh:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• MilkyRon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2019 19:30 #205675 by MilkyRon
Replied by MilkyRon on topic New engine's and "Running in".
I also agree with everything that's been said and on that note, here is my totally unproven, anecdotal and completely contradictory opinion...

There is a school of thought that you should put a new engine under a high amount of stress during it's first few hundred miles (when warm), with regular oil changes to achieve a better seal around the pistons.

Source: www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm written in some glorious HTML.

I have personally used this method myself when breaking in a Suzuki GSXR-750. It's still in my possession and runs as sweet as a nut. Not only that but I'm confident that this method has given me and extra 50BHP, made the tyres stickier and rendered me more appealing to the opposite sex. {{Citation needed}}

The good news is, you can spend the next few months agonising over the correct method.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Apr 2019 04:36 #205682 by Lambert
When Ermintrude was new she spent the first 3 years and 18k with my parents. They drove everywhere steadily and at low revsand insisted on turning her off when opening gates even though she had only done a mile since a cold start. I don't think she ever saw more than about 3k ripems in the entire period. When I took her on she wouldn't rev cleanly past 3200 ripems and was a slug. It took nearly 3 months or more for her to be smooth at 6k ripems and work properly. I still get grief when I leave her running in gateways even though I have explained till I am blue that switching off a cold engine is a bad idea and that a minutes fuel is cheaper than a rebuilt motor. These little motors are tough and designed to scream assuming you maintain them without compromising.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds