BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Under sealing

More
08 Mar 2019 16:23 #204311 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Under sealing
Waxoyl appears to be a "local" British company and also an ubiquitous commercial product for this type of job in Britain.

Even more so, Britons appear to use the "waxoyl" noun generically for any underseal product, like saying "motorola" for any portable radio transceiver.

It appears that the original Waxoyl is just another type of automotive body protection wax. Am I correct? Does it have any other important ingredient?

If I am correct, all body protection waxes have a common weak attribute in that they easily get washed off or scraped off (for example when power washing the underbody after driving through filthy terrain or when ploughing through deep snow and thus scraping the underbody).

I see that most old timer vehicle restorers exclusively use waxes for underbody protection. I talked to two of them, and their reasoning for using waxes is two-fold:
1. Waxes have no risk of de-laminating from the surface or cracking like bitumenous or plastic or polyurethane coatings do. This eliminates the risk of moisture creeping under the protective coating and doing severe unseen corrosion damage which might destroy the precious old timer later on.
2. Good quality waxes are self-healing to a certain extent (when lightly washed or scraped) and they seal all the "nooks and crannies" (hard to reach tight spots or joints) exceptionally well.

Those two restorers did acknowledge that waxes on the other hand might have the weakness of being relatively easily washed off or scraped off, but since old timers are rarely driven anyway and usually driven on dry paved surfaces (who drives an old timer intentionally through a rainstorm or on dirt or muddy roads?), they don't need washing of the underbody, so this is not an issue for them.

I would like to hear the experience of others regarding the use of wax-based underbody protection on all-terrain vehicles where you need to thorouhgly power wash the underbody and/or scrape it for example through deep mud and/or snow on a regular basis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2019 17:41 - 08 Mar 2019 19:20 #204314 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Under sealing
You are correct, it's an automotive wax.
It comes in two colours, black and clear. I can find no evidence to suggest they are different other than colour, but I find the black will dry to a hard black wax finish which has some resistance to scraping etc. It can not be removed with a power washer etc. Having set it is hard but it can be removed with white spirit at a later date if required. I have extensive experience of its use on my Series Landover and find it provides good protection. It is easy to apply as an underbody spray which initially will "creep", but once dried will protect from water/mud etc.
I use my Land Rover on pay and play off road sites and the Waxoyl has not been removed by loose mud or ground etc, but stone to metal contract will scrape it off (as it would any finish). But when you get home after cleaning and a dry it's easy to re-applied a new layer over the damaged area if needed.
Here is a picture of the rear chassis behind rear wheel of my 1960 Land Rover showing the wax finish. It's sort of none stick so the mud just washes off. It was applied about 10 years ago and it's stood the test of time, but probably due for a top up.

I would not use it in box sections or cavities as it dries too hard. Some have also reported that the clear will eventually dry out totally and separate from the metal it is trying to protect, but as underbody protection Black Waxoyl is perfect in my humble experience. Waxoyl in the UK is a bit like Marmite (black food spread), some like it, some don't.
Having said that like any finish it's only as good as the preparation.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 19:20 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds