BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

All Terrain Tyre Comparisons

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Mar 2019 15:23 #204144 by Lambert
For a while I was thinking that I needed stiffer sidewall tyres to improve the handling especially as I was experiencing a small undampend bounce from the tyres. As a consequence I drove a selection ok 2 different Jimny's with lt tyres one bfg all terrain and the other was on grabbers. Not for me. The tyres totally ruined the sensation of finesse from the steering and to my mind didn't do anything good for the ride quality. Yes obviously the tyres lack of flex made the handling seem more controlled but I didn't really like that. One of the cars had a helical diff in the back axle that was an awesome awesome awesome thing and is on the list for mine. But genuinely you can feel the additional weight and for me that is not a good thing. Oh and I fixed my bounce by lowering the rear tyres down to 23 psi like the fronts. Amazing transformation.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2019 15:32 #204145 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Aaarh….makes sense. Thanks

I wonder if anyone else will contribute their experience?

More
08 Mar 2019 14:01 - 08 Mar 2019 14:28 #204308 by Bosanek
There is a huge wiki article on (almost) everything regarding vehicle tyres on this web site.

There are a couple of points to make and some misconceptions to correct:

Asymmetric tread patterns pose no restrictions whatsoever when rotating tyres+wheels on a vehicle (only when mounting tyres onto the wheels).
Tyres with (uni)directional tread patterns do.
Asymmetric tread patterns are generally a great optimisation principle and I hope to see more such AT and MT tyre models in the future, as they are currently a rarity.

"LT" (light truck) tyre designation is a moot marketing / industrial jargon term. It may or may not indicate a different tyre construction or weight carrying rating.
An LT tyre may be designed for much heavier loads than regular tyres and as such may be waaay to stiff for a very light vehicle like a Jimny (unless you regularly transport stuff like gold bullions in yours). It's a similar story as with "C" (cargo / commercial tyres). I drove a Jimny on some Hankook cargo tyres with weight rating of 108 for about 2000 km and I cured my kidney stones.
The point: When buying any tyre, and especially if it is an LT or a C tyre, check its rated weight load rating.
Jimnys 3 use 96-97 if I am correct.

Toyo claims that Open Country AT Plus has asymmetric tread pattern but I don't see anything asymmetric after looking at them thoroughly. Can someone verify with Toyo what is asymmetric there? Perhaps the material composition itself?

When buying an AT tyre, I would recommend buying an all season one. There are several manufacturers who make them. All season goes well with All terrain.
Last edit: 08 Mar 2019 14:28 by Bosanek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2019 21:19 #204329 by Guy 2
Thanks Bosanek. Useful points - I shall pay close attention to the load rating of any ATs I am considering.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2019 21:33 #204331 by Guy 2
Have just read the wiki - excellent!

Must apologise, I am still finding my way round the site and hadn't realised it was there.

Sounds as if you wrote it/had a hand in it - great job.

More
10 Mar 2019 23:24 #204437 by wjamieson
Lots of good info here and particularly within the wiki. Info for Gen 4 a bit sparse but this is to be expected given how new the car is. I have edited the wiki to include tyre pressures for Gen 4.

I am looking to replace the original 195/80/15 Bridgestone Dueller HT's with AT tyres. Considering the Cooper AT3 sports at the same size or BF Goodrich KA 02 AT 215/75/15. Seen lots of photos of the BF Goodrich tyres on new Gen 4 Jimny but would really like some feedback on what effect it has on MPG and handling etc. Do you notice a difference in the feel of the car. Definitely like the look of the larger BF Goodrich tyres and I believe they are excellent tyres and will last a long tme but do not want to adversely effect the ride. The 195/80/15 Coopers, on paper at least, are as fuel efficient and better in wet and noise than the original Bridgestone tyres. So would get the more aggressive look but no ill effects.

However still like the look of the BF Goodrich tyres. Anyone with 1st hand knowledge? Appreciate your comments

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2019 11:34 #204447 by Guy 2
Yes, I would be interested in 1st hand experience of both BFG K02s AND Cooper AT3 Sports, as well. (I guess experience of the former may be more likely.)

Still haven't ruled out Coopers in 195/80/15 - although I note from the Web that the Coopers in both original AT3 and now AT3 Sport, have some reports of growing very noisy once the tread is half worn.

And I still don't really understand why K02s have a B rating for wet grip - yet user reviews place them "middle of the pack", at best, for wet weather performance. It maybe the stronger sidewalls that have an impact and therefore account for this - I don't know?

Sorry, wjamieson, these are more questions - not an answer to your original query.

• jimnyfox
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2019 18:29 #204457 by jimnyfox
Replied by jimnyfox on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
I've been researching quite a few different tyres and in the end I have ordered a set of KO2s.

At first I wanted to keep the size at 195/80/15 and there really is limited choice, but after having a chat in Suzuki when I went to pick up my load mat, their system says that 215/75/15 is 'best fit' and is within Suzuki acceptable limit.

In the end it came down to either Geolandar GO15, DynaPro ATM RF10 (very reasonable price & decent reviews) or KO2.

After reading multiple reviews on all of them, there are always a few that criticise wet tarmac grip, no matter the tyre - I think this is fairly normal for AT. GO15 appears to be constantly criticised for weak sidewalls and the DynaPro for getting noisy. The KO2 seems to be the best suited offroad and looks better than the others in my opinion.

I'll get them fitted this week and after a couple hundred miles perhaps I will be able to give a better view.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2019 19:08 #204460 by Guy 2
Great to see someone making a decision (and I include myself in the waverers)!

Enjoy your new Jimny - and I'll be very interested to hear your thoughts in due course.

• mikeyw85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2019 22:28 #204472 by mikeyw85
Replied by mikeyw85 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
I'm considering various 215/75R15's at the moment. One of which is the Falken Wildpeak AT01. On mytyres.co.uk there are two listings for the tyre, with different model numbers and slightly different dBa rating. Does anyone have and idea of what the actual difference might be.

www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=...=Ordern&typ=R-212694

www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=...=Ordern&typ=R-334115

• jimnyfox
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2019 17:46 #204701 by jimnyfox
Replied by jimnyfox on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
I've only had the K02's on for about 100 miles, but I thought I'd post a couple of pics and give my first impressions. I drove a very tame green lane, so I haven't explored the potential of them fully off-road.

On road, they are no noisier than the bridgestones that come from the factory, there really is no difference whatsoever. Fuel consumption has taken a hit, by about 1mpg so far. ( I expect this to get worse, the tyres are a lot heavier, I don't think the trip computer will be accurate until I've put more miles on them)

Ride quality is similar, it was a bit bouncy for a start but I checked all tyre pressures and the tyre place had put 30 in even though I asked for 26, once I set the pressures correctly, all is normal again. Note that I opted for the 97 load rating tyres instead of the 100 load rating which seem to be more readily available.

In regards to wet braking on tarmac, I feel that I've been able to compare this fairly well as we've had a ton of rain since I have had the car with plenty sitting on the road surface around my local area. I honestly cannot feel any difference between the Duelers and the K02's. Everything is behaving as exactly as expected.

Things may change as I put more miles on, but I am feeling pleased with them so far.
Attachments:

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2019 18:09 #204703 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
That's good to hear! I like the look of the KO2's more than any other tyre.

Looks aggressive and does wonders for the jimny!

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds