BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:New Jimny off road ability vs 3rd Gen?

More
01 Mar 2019 10:19 #203963 by 300bhpton
Hi, just wondering if any one has really off roaded their new 4th Gen yet and how it compares to the previous model?

As I understand it, the new model is more of a clever facelift with a new retro styled body tub, while retaining most of the previous gens underpinnings. Please correct me if wrong on this.

On this basis I assume it should be very similar off road. Has the TCS been improved upon vs the last of the line old models?

I've watched some YT vids and while small and nimble looking, I'm surprised at just how often the 4th Gen Jimny seems to lift wheels off the ground. Have even seen one or two roll over (some Japanese vids) on terrain I know my Land Rover wouldn't have.

I've been a huge fan of Jimny's for years, but not managed to own one yet. I almost bought a new 3rd gen only two years back, but wanted heated seats and a proper integrated stereo, so opted for a smart ForTwo. However as soon as Suzuki will allow proper orders for the 4th gen (yes I'm avoiding the current panic buying of them) I intend to order one. Hopefully for delivery in approx 12 months time.

I know ultimate off road ability doesn't really matter that much, but it's still fun to talk about ;)

I am and have been a long term Land Rover owner and off roader, so I'm reasonably well versed off the road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2019 11:17 #203966 by jackonlyjack
I think most of the wheel lifting is due to still having anti rollbar connected

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2019 11:58 #203967 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic New Jimny off road ability vs 3rd Gen?
These guys are convinced the TCS is improved, but lots of other factors also at play including manual gen 4 vs auto gen 3.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Mar 2019 13:03 - 01 Mar 2019 13:05 #203968 by Lambert
The below used actual locking diffs not tc but it does demonstrate that having wheels down isn't the be all and end all.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 13:05 by Lambert.

More
01 Mar 2019 14:18 #203969 by 300bhpton
Thanks and I agree traction systems of any type can make a massive improvement on a vehicles ability to cross terrain. But driver and line also make a big difference too in comparisons. And I think this vid also shows that as much as it does about lockers.

Also owning two fairly substantially modified vehicles, keeping the wheels in contact with the ground does improve stability, makes it feel a lot more pleasant and also enhances their ability to prevent cross axling.

Leafer Land Rovers don't normally flex like this.

File Attachment:

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Mar 2019 19:21 - 01 Mar 2019 19:27 #203986 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic New Jimny off road ability vs 3rd Gen?
Check out Victor Rundle on Youtube AKA Saxj of this forum. He has some of the best serious off road footage so far. A good comparison can be made if you know what a gen 3 is capable of.

Cheers,

Andy.
Last edit: 01 Mar 2019 19:27 by Andy2640.

More
01 Mar 2019 21:22 #203992 by Busta
From the videos I've seen, I suspect the gen4 has a stiffer anti roll bar, hence it's tendency to lift a wheel. Otherwise off road performance seems virtually identical. Is the LSD option available on UK models?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Mar 2019 09:16 #204005 by Lambert
Oooh stiffer anti roll bar! Will it fit a gen3? Need to find out.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Mar 2019 11:41 #204009 by Bob1050
I've never been in an older model Jimny so cannot offer any objective comment on current versus 3rd gen performance. However I can confirm that the new Jimny appears surprisingly capable when going off-road. Compared to various Land Rover products, the Jimny (in std spec) is hindered by less axle clearance but has the advantage of considerably less weight. The Jimny OEM spec tyres are also a bit of a hindrance in muddy, swampy ground and already forum members are expressing personal views as to their favoured replacements. I'm not too worried if I do get bogged down as one of my other vehicles is a tractor - although to date I've not had the Jimny let me down. Setting aside all sorts of techno-babble talk about vehicle specifications - remember the role of the driver - some folk just have the skill and expertise to make progress when it comes to off-road driving, others struggle to get out of a small puddle without major drama.

More
02 Mar 2019 13:12 #204015 by saxj

Bob1050 wrote: Setting aside all sorts of techno-babble talk about vehicle specifications - remember the role of the driver - some folk just have the skill and expertise to make progress when it comes to off-road driving, others struggle to get out of a small puddle without major drama.

Well said. I've taken an open diff Jimny up an obstacle that 2 others locked front and rear couldn't get up.

The ability to read a line and know how much momentum is required, is not very common.

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Mar 2019 15:54 #204025 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic Re:New Jimny off road ability vs 3rd Gen?

saxj wrote:

Bob1050 wrote: Setting aside all sorts of techno-babble talk about vehicle specifications - remember the role of the driver - some folk just have the skill and expertise to make progress when it comes to off-road driving, others struggle to get out of a small puddle without major drama.

Well said. I've taken an open diff Jimny up an obstacle that 2 others locked front and rear couldn't get up.

The ability to read a line and know how much momentum is required, is not very common.

This one maybe?

More
02 Mar 2019 23:26 - 02 Mar 2019 23:28 #204042 by saxj

Dorsetdumpling wrote:

saxj wrote:

This one maybe?

No. It was a very tame looking Sandy little climb with a double cross axle. This was with my old Gen 3
Last edit: 02 Mar 2019 23:28 by saxj.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds