BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

More
20 Aug 2019 19:28 #212415 by Bob1050
Todays Observation. On a hot day I usually open the windows on the Jimny to reduce ambient cabin temperature - then close them before switching on the air conditioning. Noted how thin the window glass is, vibrating in the frames when partially open and giving the distinct impression of real 'value engineering'.. Not a complaint as such, but a reminder that the Jimny has been designed like a skinny latte. On the subject of glass - anyone had their Jimny windscreen replaced yet following a bad chip? Just wondering if the likes of Autoglass have access to the latest G4 spec windscreens?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2019 19:33 #212418 by Bill Portland
Funnily enough, autoglass repaired a chip in mine today. Not terribly successfully and I'm waiting for someone to come and check it cos its worse than it was. I guess they'll say they tried, but that I need a new windscreen. I wonder if they'll have original Suzuki replacements or some generic make (and which is best)?

More
20 Aug 2019 21:31 - 20 Aug 2019 21:33 #212424 by Bob1050

Bill Portland wrote: Funnily enough, autoglass repaired a chip in mine today. Not terribly successfully and I'm waiting for someone to come and check it cos its worse than it was. I guess they'll say they tried, but that I need a new windscreen. I wonder if they'll have original Suzuki replacements or some generic make (and which is best)?

I understand that Autoglass (and their competitors) do not fit 'genuine Suzuki' windscreens - but then again, how many windscreen manufacturers exist that would tool up to make a few Jimny windscreens. I suspect all Jimny windscreens (for new build and replacement) all come from just one or two factories in the world.

The current fashion for saving weight/saving costs/saving the planet seems to be making windscreens ever more easily chipped/fractured.

Regarding Bill's concern about his repaired windscreen - your discussion will likely revolve around "the repair is structurally sound (the bonding) and guaranteed - but the cosmetic appearance was the best we could do in the circumstances". If your Jimny requires a new windscreen - the 'fully loaded/sensor' windscreen - the fitter will have to recalibrate your sensors - and Autoglass will advise you that if they are not successful then it's your problem to resolve at the Suzuki dealers. Sometimes basic and poverty spec cars have their attractions/benefits.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2019 21:33 by Bob1050.

More
08 Sep 2019 10:54 #213283 by Bob1050
For those of you with an interest in G4 Jimny reliability and longevity = another short and boring report.

The Jimny has now sailed through 9k miles on the odometer and nothing of any significance to report, other than I continue to smile when behind the wheel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, Bill Portland

More
08 Sep 2019 18:47 #213293 by saxj

Bob1050 wrote: For those of you with an interest in G4 Jimny reliability and longevity = another short and boring report.

The Jimny has now sailed through 9k miles on the odometer and nothing of any significance to report, other than I continue to smile when behind the wheel.

They are rather boring in that regard. I've thrown it at every obstacle imaginable, including a 1200km round trip to drive one of the worst roads in Africa, Baboon's pass (23km of continuous grueling obstacles at 2800m above sea level). I have now covered 27000km without a single issue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, crash486

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Sep 2019 19:43 - 08 Sep 2019 19:43 #213298 by Andy2640

saxj wrote:

Bob1050 wrote: For those of you with an interest in G4 Jimny reliability and longevity = another short and boring report.

They are rather boring in that regard. I've thrown it at every obstacle imaginable, including a 1200km round trip to drive one of the worst roads in Africa, Baboon's pass (23km of continuous grueling obstacles at 2800m above sea level). I have now covered 27000km without a single issue.

OMFG....... Do i have that right, your gen 4 has done 27,000 km ??? 16,777 miles.

Awesome!!
Last edit: 08 Sep 2019 19:43 by Andy2640.

More
08 Sep 2019 20:09 #213302 by saxj

Andy2640 wrote:

saxj wrote:

OMFG....... Do i have that right, your gen 4 has done 27,000 km ??? 16,777 miles.

Awesome!!

Certainly has. Almost due for it's second service.

More
08 Sep 2019 21:34 #213305 by Bob1050
…….. and the really good news is ……. The Gen 4 Jimny seems to be a well sorted and reliable vehicle. Phew! I did worry that the new model might not be but now I feel a warm glow of contentment.

• MartyUK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2019 13:28 - 10 Sep 2019 13:31 #213351 by MartyUK
Replied by MartyUK on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Done around 2000 miles so far in my Blue SZ5 extremely happy with it, two points at the moment:
  1. Is anyone else experiencing problems with Android Auto/Car Play just refusing to connect, I'm having to factory reset the entertainment system every time this crops up which seems to resolve the issue, except that I have to set up the damn thing again and again.
  2. Is anyone else missing the clips for the floor mats? The dealership threw the rubber mats in with the purchase but it does concern me when they move underfoot
Last edit: 10 Sep 2019 13:31 by MartyUK. Reason: Spellung

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2019 14:04 #213352 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

MartyUK wrote: Done around 2000 miles so far in my Blue SZ5 extremely happy with it, two points at the moment:

1. Is anyone else experiencing problems with Android Auto/Car Play just refusing to connect, I'm having to factory reset the entertainment system every time this crops up which seems to resolve the issue, except that I have to set up the damn thing again and again.
  2. Is anyone else missing the clips for the floor mats? The dealership threw the rubber mats in with the purchase but it does concern me when they move underfoot

Im having same issues with android auto thingy and my floor mats (eco version) are kaput! The hook-in clips have disintergrated and a new set is now needed. Clearly the car is built to last, but the mats not so much.

More
10 Sep 2019 14:20 #213355 by Bill Portland
I've found 2 consistent ways to connect with android auto : 1. Plug phone in, turn ignition on then wait for it to connect before starting engine. 2. Start engine, then plug phone in. If either method fails {either works perfectly for me) unplug phone, switch engine off, remove key, open door, lock car, wait a while, unlock car, and try again.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Sep 2019 17:58 #213380 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

Bill Portland wrote: I've found 2 consistent ways to connect with android auto : 1. Plug phone in, turn ignition on then wait for it to connect before starting engine. 2. Start engine, then plug phone in. If either method fails {either works perfectly for me) unplug phone, switch engine off, remove key, open door, lock car, wait a while, unlock car, and try again.

Wow! That is a major "Faff".

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds