BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:SZ4/SZ5 possible upgrades discussion.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2019 10:19 #201819 by Andy2640
SZ4/SZ5 possible upgrades discussion. was created by Andy2640
Hya guys,

I'm new to the jimny and have no idea how to upgrade parts etc.

So far, iv'e seen jimny's with:

Winches
Front bull-bar.
Roof racks
Big wheels, huge wheels, big tyres and huge tyres. - From what i can tell 215/75/15 is the biggest we can go without mod work. But what about wheel/alloy size? Seen some nice 16 inch wheels on the jim, but thinking this may tip it past the 3% warranty rule.

Lift kits - Will it create a greater tipping hazard? Is it expensive.

I ask these questions because i have great interest in the potential of the new jim, and im sure others would benefit from your wealth of knowledge too.

Thank you kindly,

Andy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2019 10:45 #201822 by Gadget
I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a set of BF Goodrich A/T tyres in 215/75R15 on the stock alloys. Was disappointed to find that the stock Bridgestone Duellers are only the HT and not AT version, so no 3peaks or M+S marking.

The larger tyres are only 1.5% bigger diameter wise, so shouldn't have a massive impact on performance, although Roam Overland has some on his Jimny in SA and said they hit economy.

Only other concern is ride quality - stock tyres have a 96 load rating, while the BFGs have 100, so potentially a lot more bouncy.

Might be better to get either the Dueler AT or General Grabber AT3 in stock size and save £200 in the process?

#pimpmyridedilemma

More
27 Jan 2019 10:53 #201823 by reedx

Gadget wrote: I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a set of BF Goodrich A/T tyres in 215/75R15 on the stock alloys. Was disappointed to find that the stock Bridgestone Duellers are only the HT and not AT version, so no 3peaks or M+S marking.

Are the stock alloys wider than the standard steel wheels? From what I've read 195 is the maximum width on the 5.5" steel rim.

Colin

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2019 11:13 #201826 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic SZ4/SZ5 possible upgrades discussion.

Gadget wrote: I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a set of BF Goodrich A/T tyres in 215/75R15 on the stock alloys. Was disappointed to find that the stock Bridgestone Duellers are only the HT and not AT version, so no 3peaks or M+S marking.

The larger tyres are only 1.5% bigger diameter wise, so shouldn't have a massive impact on performance, although Roam Overland has some on his Jimny in SA and said they hit economy.

Only other concern is ride quality - stock tyres have a 96 load rating, while the BFGs have 100, so potentially a lot more bouncy.

Might be better to get either the Dueler AT or General Grabber AT3 in stock size and save £200 in the process?

#pimpmyridedilemma

Hi Gadget,

After watching "overlander" channel on youtube, I too was interested in the BF goodies. However, i decided to be cautious, as many people have said they are pretty bad on-road. Personally i will be driving 70-80% on-road, and the rest off. TBH...i just love the look of a thicker tyre, it does wonders for the new Jimny in appearance having them on. I spoke with numerous garages yesterday regarding tyre choice. They all seemed to point to the AT3 grabbers being the most suitable. The stock tyres on jim are far too puny looking for my taste. The wider profile gives it a mean 4x4 look and is a must for me personally. Just trying to figure out if the AT3 is really the very best choice. Oh... and i spoke to that overlander chap on his channel the other day, He said that if he could do it again, he would go with the AT3's. As you say his fuel consumption was whacked hard. AT3's may be a bit better on the mileage. But im not 100% obviously.

On a video i posted under "jimny of my dreams" it shows a blue jim with a sweet little bull bar., lift kit and whopping tyres But i have no clue how this would be achieved and how the bull bar attaches. Maybe the jim has an existing slot for one, or perhaps it would need serious modding.

But when all is said and done, we are still dealing with this 3% rule on warranty. This is clearly a limiting factor, but i dont know too much about this rule tbh.

As for the goodies on yours gadget, what is your intended percentage of off road to on -road?

Cheers,

Andy. (UK).

More
27 Jan 2019 16:04 #201854 by Gadget
Duplicating a lot of this convo in the 2019 Jimny Facebook group and thanks to others have come to realise that the stock Dueler H/T tyres are M+S (if not 3PMSF) marked, so likely to be fine for 99% of my needs. Only reason to go bigger would be for aesthetic reasons.

I'm still trawling the accessory catalogues and would really like to get some of the luggage hooks (9915F-78R00-000), but sadly not listed as a UK accessory yet. Pricing is bizarren though, on the Swiss Suzuki site they've got them listed for £138, for 4 little D-ring things! :ohmy:

More
27 Jan 2019 17:30 #201858 by Busta
It's worth noting that many answers to this sort of question will be the same as with the previous model. The subject of tyre size, rim width and offset, tyre brands etc is very well covered in other posts on the forum.

• mikeyw85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jan 2019 18:26 #201866 by mikeyw85
Replied by mikeyw85 on topic Re:SZ4/SZ5 possible upgrades discussion.

reedx wrote:

Are the stock alloys wider than the standard steel wheels? From what I've read 195 is the maximum width on the 5.5" steel rim.

Colin

On a lower profile car tyre I’d say the 5.5 steel rim in too narrow for a 215 tyres. However, on a higher profile tyre I think it’s no issue. I found some info to back this up somewhere...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More
27 Jan 2019 20:10 - 27 Jan 2019 20:11 #201880 by Soeley
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Gadget wrote: Duplicating a lot of this convo in the 2019 Jimny Facebook group and thanks to others have come to realise that the stock Dueler H/T tyres are M+S (if not 3PMSF) marked, so likely to be fine for 99% of my needs. Only reason to go bigger would be for aesthetic reasons.

I'm still trawling the accessory catalogues and would really like to get some of the luggage hooks (9915F-78R00-000), but sadly not listed as a UK accessory yet. Pricing is bizarren though, on the Swiss Suzuki site they've got them listed for £138, for 4 little D-ring things! :ohmy:

Which hooks are those the ones shown for under the rear side windows or the ones at the bottom of the rear door opening?

On Friday I left some part numbers with my dealer to find out if they could get them (that was before Martin put up his post). I will see if they get back to me this week. Alternatively I have these as back-up or
Last edit: 27 Jan 2019 20:11 by Soeley.

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2019 02:19 #201892 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic SZ4/SZ5 possible upgrades discussion.
I'd like to keep mine in stealth mode - relatively modest tyres and no lift. I will want all terrain tyres though, and 215/75R15 seems like a decent upgrade as you can stick with the original alloy rims. Those BFG's are heavy though - the extra rotational weight must be sapping performance and sucking fuel, not to mention eating into the limited GVM. A set of Toyos is 30 lbs lighter: tiresize.com/tires/Toyo/Open-Country-AT-II-215-75R15.htm. Seems like a winner!

More
28 Jan 2019 06:13 #201894 by Gadget
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Soeley wrote: Which hooks are those the ones shown for under the rear side windows or the ones at the bottom of the rear door opening?

On Friday I left some part numbers with my dealer to find out if they could get them (that was before Martin put up his post). I will see if they get back to me this week. Alternatively I have these as back-up or

It's the ones at the bottom of the rear door. Thanks for the links, will be nterested to hear what your dealer says.

More
28 Jan 2019 12:18 #201913 by Soeley
I have seen plenty like the ones you mean, but they don't have the little bent tab to stop them twisting around the bolt hole. I'll keep you posted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
28 Jan 2019 14:17 #201919 by saxj

reedx wrote:

Colin

The wheels are exactly the same dimensions as all previous Jimny's. 215's are fine on 5.5J rims. We have gone up to 31" tyres with no problems with the rims.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds