BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:2019 Jimny Australian special upgrade, or not?

• cyberdriver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 12:46 #201133 by cyberdriver
G'day!
My local dealer is fitting its only demo Jimny (an auto) with a 50mm lift, wider (6") steel rims and 235/75R15 AT tyres before the official launch in Australia because they reckon this will be a popular (and legal) combo - and are offering the same to customers of either manual/auto. Apparently it's recommended/endorsed by Suzuki Aus, and no other mods are required (e.g. trimming wheel arches, lengthening cables, reducing gear ratios).

Is this the sweet spot for a mild upgrade? I can obviously test drive it, but not off-road. Before learning of this option I was thinking of just 215/75R15 ATs on the OEM alloy rims. I'll be doing some beach driving and sandy tracks/dunes but nothing too extreme - in a manual.

Where do you think I should start?

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2019 01:22 #201199 by zukebob
Personally, I would start with your original idea. While you can drive on 235/75r15 without gearing modification, it is about the limit and you would notice a change.

I think after driving on 215/75r15 tires, you can make a more reasonable decision if larger tires would be better at meeting your needs (not very likely on the beach).

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
The following user(s) said Thank You: cyberdriver

• cyberdriver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2019 23:07 #201276 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic 2019 Jimny Australian special upgrade, or not?
Hi George, yes - hot here too! I would have liked yellow with white roof, or full ivory, but the black roof (or jungle green roof) is a deal breaker. It seems a bit silly to paint/wrap the roof- so the white one is a no-brainer for me. Probably a longer wait-list though.
Thanks, Zukebob. I suspect they'll get a lot of takers for the upgrade based on its looks, rather than function. The dealer does pretty well out of it too ($$) so it's win-win! Will do some reading about equipment for beach driving

More
20 Jan 2019 23:45 #201279 by Bob1050
Seems a really bizarre decision not to offer a white roof option - in a country renowned for baking hot sunshine.

Maybe the marketing team made the decision on a cold day in a cold country or they feel that a white roof on a 4X4 is the signature of competitor brand?

Personally I'd jump at the opportunity of a white roof.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Jan 2019 07:30 #201291 by Lambert
Isn't fitting larger diameter tyres going to be unhelpful for sand driving, it's not like the 1.5 is some kind of torque monster and sand is notoriously hard on transmissions?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Jan 2019 08:29 #201292 by yakuza
I had 235's on my 1.3 80hp jimny, and even 235 on my 1.3 63hp SJ.
Clutch life is shorter and it was no racer in any way but still fun.
I even had 31" on my 63hp SJ413 but then with the lower rocklobster transfer gearing.
I would change the gears (again) for 235 before the engine..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• cyberdriver
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jan 2019 21:10 #201387 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic 2019 Jimny Australian special upgrade, or not?
You might be right, :Lambert, but I was thinking larger diameter for axle clearance and wider for float. Would you leave it stock for beach/dune/sand tracks?

More
22 Jan 2019 02:49 #201393 by zukebob
I mostly avoided sand but did do some beach driving and a bit of desert driving early on. Initially I had the stock tires which were equivalent to 225/75r15. Later I went with 32 X 11.5. The stock tires worked better for me in the sand.

The vehicle I had at the time was significantly heavier than the Jimny so I would defer to anyone that is using a Jimny for beach or dunes. If you don't receive a Jimny specific reply, it would probably still be good guidance.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Jan 2019 05:13 #201395 by Lambert
In Yorkshire there are no obvious places to sand drive so my knowledge is second hand but as I understand it sand really needs momentum as much as anything to keep you on the top and if you do sink in you need very low wheel speed to creep forward. Both these require torque which is a limited resource in a Jimny even the 1.5. I get what you mean about better float and clearance but more float means more drag needs more torque and more diameter means higher gearing needs more torque. Personally I'd be after a set of proper all terrain tyres in stock size and preserve what torque there is.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Jan 2019 05:22 - 22 Jan 2019 14:16 #201396 by Lambert
Also have a look at Ronny Dahl on YouTube he is based in West Aus and seems quite knowledgeable about sand driving, quite a big back catalogue though and I haven't seen a comparison of his for this specific case but there's bound to be some good information there.

Last edit: 22 Jan 2019 14:16 by Lambert.

• mikeyw85
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2019 10:08 #201400 by mikeyw85
Replied by mikeyw85 on topic 2019 Jimny Australian special upgrade, or not?
Does it require the lift to fit those tyres?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Jan 2019 10:33 - 22 Jan 2019 10:34 #201403 by Lambert
With the 235 its a 6pc increase in height or approximately 50mm ish plus an extra 40mm width. I'd be surprised if they didn't catch somewhere on full lock full compression?

Last edit: 22 Jan 2019 10:34 by Lambert.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds