BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny 2019 videos off road in South Africa

More
17 Jan 2019 22:24 #201026 by saxj

MrPaynterZA wrote: I think the confusion is everyone is mistaking you for the first channel mentioned @saxj!

I see you definitely put your Jimny through it's paces! I am keen on the mudflaps, how much did the Dealers charge for them if I may ask?

I paid ZAR 4000 for them fitted. Expect to pay more though, after fitting mine they realised that the 1 hour Labour charge was unrealistic. They now charge 3 hours labour to fit them. I was livid because I ended up having to take a half day leave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2019 17:42 #201077 by Gadget

MrPaynterZA wrote: I think the confusion is everyone is mistaking you for the first channel mentioned @saxj!

Ah yes, I thought @saxj was from the Roam Overland channel, hence the age confusion! :laugh:

More
18 Jan 2019 21:33 #201096 by saxj

Gadget wrote:

Ah yes, I thought @saxj was from the Roam Overland channel, hence the age confusion! :laugh:

Ha ha, I have a little more experience than that young lad. I also like to play hard. Although I really enjoy the overland stuff too. (My previous Jimny)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
18 Jan 2019 21:44 #201098 by Soeley
Wow, looks well kitted out, very nice.

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2019 21:44 #201099 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic Jimny 2019 videos off road in South Africa
Those Jerrycans, are they "road legal" installed like that?

More
18 Jan 2019 21:50 #201100 by saxj

TaterTot wrote: Those Jerrycans, are they "road legal" installed like that?

No idea. Here it is quite common to see on defenders. We got stopped a number of times on our trip through Botswana and Zimbabwe, and three only thing they found wrong was a number plate light that didn't work.
A friend with a similar setup did a 6 month trip through Africa without having any issues.

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jan 2019 22:12 #201104 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic Jimny 2019 videos off road in South Africa
Saxj, you’ve probably already driven yours off road more and harder than most of us will ever drive ours here in the UK.

So, now that the honeymoon period has passed, any niggles appearing, any bits falling off, rubbing, going up in smoke, spewing fluids, etc etc...?

More
19 Jan 2019 03:32 #201117 by saxj

Dorsetdumpling wrote: Saxj, you’ve probably already driven yours off road more and harder than most of us will ever drive ours here in the UK.

So, now that the honeymoon period has passed, any niggles appearing, any bits falling off, rubbing, going up in smoke, spewing fluids, etc etc...?

I've done over 6000km so far, it's pretty well put together. No rattles, my old one's back door, passenger door and passenger seat used to rattle. Not a murmur from this one. The radial arm mounts are just as vulnerable on this one as the old.
The 215/80R15 tyres just rub on the inner arches at full articulation.

Android Auto can be painful at times. E.g. If the person I want to call doesn't have a nice English sounding name, then it can be impossible to phone them. And irritatingly it stops you scrolling through lists if the car is moving.

More
19 Jan 2019 06:45 #201120 by Bill Portland

saxj wrote:

Gadget wrote:

Ha ha, I have a little more experience than that young lad. I also like to play hard. Although I really enjoy the overland stuff too. (My previous Jimny)

There's a bit more than 30 kilos on the top there eh? :whistle:

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2019 12:42 - 19 Jan 2019 12:44 #201132 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Jimny 2019 videos off road in South Africa

Bill Portland wrote:

There's a bit more than 30 kilos on the top there eh? :whistle:[/quote]

Doesn't matter, as long as the original roof-rails have been removed and the aftermarket roofrack is mounted into the threaded fixing points, which appears to have been done.
Last edit: 19 Jan 2019 12:44 by Venter.

More
28 Jan 2019 07:17 #201897 by saxj
It also had heavy duty coils in it. With all that load, the car just started to level out. So plenty of travel left in the coils.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds