BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Insuring a New 2019 Jimny

More
09 Jan 2019 21:34 #200287 by Bob1050
Insuring a New Jimny was created by Bob1050
Have now just wasted another few hours of my life trying to insure a new 2019 model 1500cc Suzuki Jimny.

Apparently none of the UK's major insurance providers have yet updated their computer systems to reflect the launch of the new model.

I've tried various online insurance providers and even phoned up for a more detailed chat. What a complete shambles this industry is - do they not have a timetable of new product launches. Surely Suzuki GB have informed the insurance providers that a model launch was happening?

Then when you talk to them - they know nothing about the new model launching. If it isn't "listed on the system" they (and you) are stuck and it's "phone us back later" time..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wigit
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jan 2019 21:37 #200288 by wigit
Replied by wigit on topic Insuring a New Jimny
I thought Suzuki offered 7 day insurance so you would like to think that provider is on board.

Was worried about this as in reality it will be go on an existing policy where they mirror my NCB.

More
09 Jan 2019 23:17 #200293 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Insuring a New Jimny

Bob1050 wrote: Have now just wasted another few hours of my life trying to insure a new 2019 model 1500cc Suzuki Jimny.

Apparently none of the UK's major insurance providers have yet updated their computer systems to reflect the launch of the new model.

I've tried various online insurance providers and even phoned up for a more detailed chat. What a complete shambles this industry is - do they not have a timetable of new product launches. Surely Suzuki GB have informed the insurance providers that a model launch was happening?

Then when you talk to them - they know nothing about the new model launching. If it isn't "listed on the system" they (and you) are stuck and it's "phone us back later" time..

Sounds about par for the course.
I tend to have Japanese imports and some are JDM only and it can be a nightmare with insurers.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
09 Jan 2019 23:38 #200295 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Insuring a New Jimny
So the question how are new car models added to the insurance database. I would assume it starts with the manufacturer advising the appropriate government departments, so I would ask Suzuki UK (if such a thing exists) what you should do...tell them they can have it back, usually speeds things up.
Not isolated, google indicates similar issues with some Land Rovers / Mercs, but offers or suggestions on the fix.

Hope you get it sorted.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
09 Jan 2019 23:43 #200296 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Insuring a New Jimny

Scimike wrote: So the question how are new car models added to the insurance database. I would assume it starts with the manufacturer advising the appropriate government departments, so I would ask Suzuki UK (if such a thing exists) what you should do...tell them they can have it back, usually speeds things up.
Not isolated, google indicates similar issues with some Land Rovers / Mercs, but offers or suggestions on the fix.

Hope you get it sorted.

I think the DVLA has a lot to do with it especially if there isn't a model reference number in their database that some insurance firms rely on.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Jan 2019 21:30 #200380 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic Insuring a New Jimny
I tried compare the meercat for quotes today; it allowed me to select the right year and model, and came back with 5 or 6 quotes.

Interesting to see that the best quotes were not that much different to what I pay for my 2.0L Mazda MX5 Sport!

More
10 Jan 2019 21:34 #200381 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Insuring a New Jimny
Saga continues …… maybe it's all a bad dream and tomorrow I will wake up and everything will be sorted.
Maybe the 2019 model Suzuki Jimny doesn't actually exist? Maybe I didn't actually take a test drive (or two)? Maybe I didn't actually sign the paperwork for a new Suzuki Jimny? Maybe I've had a sherry or two too many over the Festive period and imagined the existence of the new Jimny.

More insurance providers have no reference to this car on their computer systems. So much for 'Big Data' and integrated ICT systems. I'm just waiting on a call centre operative to say the words "I know nothing" or "Are you sure it's not the 2014 model"!

Thanks for your feedback, I'm trying to be optimistic ……...

More
10 Jan 2019 22:13 #200387 by Themooingman
Replied by Themooingman on topic Insuring a New Jimny
Just went through this tonight ready for Saturday pick up. Axa said they had never heard of it and even with referral to underwriting they may not cover.

Ignored all the other similar insurers that appear on compare the market type sites. Went to direct line whom had underwriters working with them until they close and they agreed it was on a list to come into the main database later this month. Common sense was they gave me a price based on what they believe it will be and I bought the cover.

Cancelled my Axa policy on my mini so it will expire when I swap the cars over.

Hopefully this helpful

2019 Gen 4 Jimny SZ5 in Silky Silver. Parking sensors and Rear Camera, floor mats pack and Rigid tyre Cover

More
10 Jan 2019 22:32 #200389 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Insuring a New Jimny

Themooingman wrote: Just went through this tonight ready for Saturday pick up. Axa said they had never heard of it and even with referral to underwriting they may not cover.
Ignored all the other similar insurers that appear on compare the market type sites. Went to direct line whom had underwriters working with them until they close and they agreed it was on a list to come into the main database later this month. Common sense was they gave me a price based on what they believe it will be and I bought the cover.
Cancelled my Axa policy on my mini so it will expire when I swap the cars over.
Hopefully this helpful

I had a similar problem with AXA few years ago when the Dacia Duster first came out, it took them two years before it appeared on their data base. I had to use the comparison websites to get a quote..

More
10 Jan 2019 23:32 - 10 Jan 2019 23:32 #200391 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Insuring a New Jimny
I got 4 quotes back from confused.com, with Admiral being the cheapest. Car model not listed at my current insurer (quotemehappy).
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 23:32 by Gadget.

More
11 Jan 2019 00:15 - 11 Jan 2019 00:19 #200392 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Insuring a New Jimny
I would still be cautious of internet comparison quotes at this time. If you do go this route give your selected company a phone to make sure everything is ok with the vehicle type.

I "confuse quoted" my Tiger 800 ABS one year only to get a phone call a week later from the insurance company I went with, and paid, to tell me a Tiger 800 with ABS did not exist......Funny as thats what Triumph called it and so did the DVLA. I can also confirm it has ABS.
After much confusion they went with Tiger 800 as the loss of ABS made little difference. The point is the system still quoted me even though it was based on the wrong vehicle. Not so bad if ghe only difference is ABS, a little more concerning if its based on the 2018 Jimny.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Jan 2019 00:19 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Jan 2019 04:57 #200394 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Insuring a New Jimny

Bob1050 wrote: Saga continues …… maybe it's all a bad dream and tomorrow I will wake up and everything will be sorted.
Maybe the 2019 model Suzuki Jimny doesn't actually exist? Maybe I didn't actually take a test drive (or two)? Maybe I didn't actually sign the paperwork for a new Suzuki Jimny? Maybe I've had a sherry or two too many over the Festive period and imagined the existence of the new Jimny.

More insurance providers have no reference to this car on their computer systems. So much for 'Big Data' and integrated ICT systems. I'm just waiting on a call centre operative to say the words "I know nothing" or "Are you sure it's not the 2014 model"!

Thanks for your feedback, I'm trying to be optimistic ……...

You didn't wake up in the shower did you? :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds