BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Spark plugs

More
04 Jan 2019 21:37 - 04 Jan 2019 21:50 #200032 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Spark plugs
Well done Dawn!

That's going to be a mod I will be implementing on mine when the weather warms up a tad.

I know its a bit late now as you have done the job, but reading back earlier in this thread, you were asking about how tight to go with the nuts and bolts; well for those of us involved in any form of engineering assembly it's something that is 'learned with experience' but if you are in any doubt its best to use a decent quality torque-wrench, particularly if you are working on an engine casing or other component that can be damaged easily.
Over-tightening a bolt can cause it to fail later, or will simply strip the threads either from the casting or the bolt itself.

There are usually standard torque values for given sizes, but it depends also on other variables such as the material the bolt is actually made from. e.g an alloy bolt such as magnesium would never be tightened to the same value as a steel bolt! Even a greased bolt may have a different value to one that isn't.

Torque is commonly measured in lbs force feet (lbf.ft) or lbs force inches (lbf.in) (Do not confuse the two!) Its also measured in Newton metres (N.m)

If no torque value is given in the instructions or workshop manual, you can find a standard torque chart such as the one below which will give you a rough guide as to how tight to go - you just need to know the size of the bolt you are fitting. Obviously check that any chart you are using refers to the materials the bolt is made of, but in almost every case vehicles will use steel bolts. The chart below is for steel.

Hope this makes some sense.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jan 2019 21:50 by Max Headroom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2019 08:51 - 05 Jan 2019 08:53 #200040 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Spark plugs
Hi max thank you and thank you for the torque table I will print it off yes all makes sense my main one was how tight the nuts should be on the ends of the damper where they fit to the brackets
Last edit: 05 Jan 2019 08:53 by Cremator1.

More
05 Jan 2019 10:19 - 05 Jan 2019 10:19 #200041 by Max Headroom
Dawn, the only things I can add is that if you don't have a torque wrench and wish to buy one, then spend a little more and get a decent quality one simply for accuracy. The Halfords 'Advanced ones; while expensive to buy come with a proper lifetime warranty. (I think they might be rebranded Norbar ones).

There are several types but get one that "clicks" when you reach desired torque. Because it utilises a spring, it is very important to wind the value back to zero for storage. (I have a Norbar wrench from the 1980s which I've looked after, and when I checked its calibration last year on a special test-rig where I work, it was still pretty-much spot-on),

The difficulty you will have is choosing a wrench that gives the widest torque range for your needs, but you could use that chart to help you decide.

Last edit: 05 Jan 2019 10:19 by Max Headroom.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2019 10:55 #200043 by Cremator1
Hi max got wrench but just wondered how tight the damper should be when attached to the brackets there are 2 nuts each end take it one is a locking nut

More
05 Jan 2019 11:09 - 05 Jan 2019 11:15 #200044 by Max Headroom
Looking at your photos its a bit hard to see what is what, and as I haven't yet done the same job on my car, understanding how it all goes together and what you mean exactly isn't clear, but I assume you mean the attachment points on the ends of the damper itself(?).

I imagine one of the two nuts will be a lock-nut or stiff-nut of some description (such as a Nyloc with a plastic/nylon insert in the end of it).
Either way, I think I would just decide what size the nut is, and then refer to a metric (assuming they are metric) chart to find the torque value.

Using the torque wrench on the locking nut and another spanner (preferrably ring type) on the other nut, tighten the two together. Might be a bit fiddly doing this if you're on your own.

I can't believe there won't be a nyloc type nut and they have given you two plain nuts, but another form of locking is to tighten two nuts together, against each other; it's not ideal but it does work.

As long as these compnents are done up well, and there are no gaps under the nuts I don't think that this will be too critical on this particular component - ie if the damper fell off it wouldnt stop the car steering, (though there is the potential that it could restrict the steering if it somehow got jammed)

Last edit: 05 Jan 2019 11:15 by Max Headroom.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Jan 2019 11:48 #200045 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Spark plugs
I was always taught to tighten the nut to the bottom of the threaded part of the spindle so that the washers and rubbers are all held on the plain section of the spindle. I'm not saying this is right just how I have been taught.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Jan 2019 12:28 - 05 Jan 2019 12:29 #200047 by Max Headroom
You might well be right Lambert - thats why I added that paragraph at the end of my last post. The question hangs over what that threaded part on the damper is attached to internally.
However if the two nuts are being tightened against each other at the attachment points without applying any torque to the stud on the damper itself I would think that a standard torque could apply on the two nuts.

Not sure that makes sense but hopefully so

Last edit: 05 Jan 2019 12:29 by Max Headroom.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Jan 2019 13:35 #200052 by Cremator1
Hi yes lambert that is the nut I am talking about on the spindle of the damper

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds