BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

How deep?

More
29 Apr 2009 19:28 #641 by BorisSpencer
How deep? was created by BorisSpencer
To what depth is the cabin watertight on the Jimny? I've waded in water that's up to the bottom of the lights, about the top of the wheels, with no leaks.
The odd muddy footprint Ican get away with, but if I get muddy water in the cabin my life won't be worth living.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2009 04:46 #642 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:How deep?
I think you have already pushed the limit a bit far!.

On mine the water comes in from 3 places. The Transfer Box lever rubber, the Gearbox lever rubber and the firewall cable entry up under the dash behind the passenger footwell.

Have a sneaky lift of the carpet around the transfer lever rubber, on mine you can see where the water has entered the cabin.

If you are just driving through water then only a dribble will enter, if you get stuck in water then it will start to get worse!

On mine there were also some holes in the floor under the carpet where the rear seats fit. These were manufacturers holes (ie not drilled by previous owners) but the holes did not have any rubber bungs in. They were only small holes so I managed to get a small pack of grommets from Halfords to seal them.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
30 Apr 2009 07:13 #644 by BorisSpencer
Replied by BorisSpencer on topic Re:How deep?
Thanks for a quick answer, I'll have a check around the rubbers make sure they're in good condition, and check the grommets are all in place.

More
30 Apr 2009 21:29 #645 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:How deep?
Hi de ho ...

On ours, we have had it up to the bottom of the windscreen / top of the bonnet and have yet to find a leak.
The rear door has been submerged up to the mid point of the spare wheel without any ingress and Jason has had the car literally floating ( water up to the half way of the doors, again, with no signs of water ingress.)

When we climbed out of the river we were crossing, there was water inside the rear quarters as it could be heard "sloshing" around but this drained away as we continued our journey.

We regularly used to take our Jimny in water upto the bottom of the top of the bonnet (if that sounds right!) and have never had an issue (these were pre-snorkel days too!!)

I guess we were just lucky but on the two jimnys we have had, we are yet to suffer a leak.

Jason does keep a 13mm drill and charged battery pack to drill a hole in the floor should we have water in the footwells, and I believe he also has a pack of grommets in the glovebox to plug the holes after.

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
01 May 2009 04:54 #646 by mlines
Suzuki already provide nice large bungs in the floors, saves you the effort of drilling.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
01 May 2009 05:20 #647 by ooky_123
Replied by ooky_123 on topic Re:How deep?
really ? Never knew that .. Must locate and stop my husband before he gets the urge to drill !

Former owner of Little "Ooky", who has now started a new life in Shetland

More
10 May 2009 16:17 #672 by mlines
Just some pictures to show how muddy water creeps in through the gearbox and transfer box gaiters and puts stinking mud into the floorpan. Also how you can pull out the bungs to wash it out. The mud stays under the carpet and its only when you smell rotting in the car that you find its there.

Martin

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds