BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2wd 4wd

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Dec 2018 20:04 #198932 by Cremator1
2wd 4wd was created by Cremator1
Hi all can you really switch between 2wd and 4wd while you are on the move or will it damage something
Many thanks dawn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2018 21:31 #198934 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 2wd 4wd
Yes, at up to 60mph! Instructions are on the sun visor.

More
13 Dec 2018 21:40 - 13 Dec 2018 21:43 #198935 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic 2wd 4wd
Yes you can, I have done it once at about 20 mph, in and out of 4WD. O
Having done it once I will never be doing it again. It was too "mechanically unsympathetic" for me.But have a go, nothing should break.
Remember to only do it on ground with reduced traction, its not for use on grippy tarmac :)

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Dec 2018 21:43 by Scimike.

More
13 Dec 2018 23:13 #198938 by Busta
I do it every day whilst moving at speed and have done it at 60mph more than once. I've also done it on grippy surfaces, while turning and in conditions when the rear wheels are already spinning slightly. Every time it goes into and out of 4wd quite happily with a reassuring clunk-clunk from the front hubs.

The only time it's made any complaint is once when drifting on a stubble field very sideways with the rear wheels going possibly 20mph faster than the fronts I thought 'I wonder what will happen if....'. I pushed the lever, the dog clutch in the transfer case banged a couple of times, struggling because of the speed differential, before engaging as normal and all 4 wheels starting to spin. It has continued to work reliably every since.

If you have the older model with the gearstick for the transfer case, with a little bit of practice you can also switch between low and high whilst moving. I do that most days too.

I've found it to be a robust and very convenient system and I suspect the few issues people do experience are most likely caused by infrequent use.

More
14 Dec 2018 05:59 #198940 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic 2wd 4wd
Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm sure if you are engaging/disengaging 4L that you should be stationary

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
14 Dec 2018 06:02 - 14 Dec 2018 06:04 #198941 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic 2wd 4wd
I would not recommend changing into low gear at speed.
I done this while sliding forward with brakes locked sometimes but then it is kind of stationary..

Beware it would not be smart to change between 2wd and 4wd if you have manual hubs and have forgot to engage them.

Second that with the infrequent use especially with the vacuum system. The hubs will not give you any problems with frequent use and lubrication. The same with the push button transfer case.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2018 06:04 by yakuza.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Dec 2018 06:44 #198943 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 2wd 4wd
I too regularly engage front drive on the go though with my manual hubs I need to know in advance that I am likely to need to do so and have them pre engaged usually towing trailers in and out of fields or if snow is forecast.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
14 Dec 2018 08:32 #198945 by Max Headroom
On the electrically selected gear-changer, I have more than once inadvertently selected 4wd (while at speed) when not looking down to move the air recirculation slider, only noticing when the glancing at the instruments and seeing the 4wd light on :unsure:

More
14 Dec 2018 12:10 #198947 by Busta

Max Headroom wrote: Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm sure if you are engaging/disengaging 4L that you should be stationary

Yes you should and Suzuki insists that you are stationary. However, with the manual transfer case and a little bit of practice it is possible to do while moving. It's non-syncromesh so you need to rev match, much like changing gear in a vintage car.

More
14 Dec 2018 17:38 #198956 by Max Headroom
That's "double de-clutching"
On non-synchromesh boxes (found on many pre-war cars) the procedure is:
Clutch pedal 'in' to disco the engine from the g'box, move the gear lever to the neutral position. Then with the clutch pedal 'up', rev the engine in neutral slightly trying to match the rpm for the next gear, clutch 'in' again and select the next gear, clutch up again, and away you go

...takes some practice to do it nicely without crashing the gears :blush:

More
14 Dec 2018 20:21 #198969 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic 2wd 4wd

Scimike wrote: Having done it once I will never be doing it again. It was too "mechanically unsympathetic" for me.

+1

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds