BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Oily brake and butchered axle level plug

More
23 Nov 2018 20:58 #198078 by facade

RogersJimmy wrote:
Looking forward to response or my other quandaries.

The breather is a one way valve, The Plan is to prevent the increased pressure in the axle when hot blowing oil out of the oilseals.

Landrovers and Jeeps have a ballbearing under that cap that blows off its seat and stays on it to seal the axle if it goes under water.

The cover is held on by a light crimp I think, the rubber washer goes against the breather spout, and the light spring presses it down from the top of the cover. Make sure the spout is clear into the axle.

If you take the cover , spring and washer away, you can attach a tube, that goes upwards to above any possible water level, usually this means exiting on the firewall under the bonnet.. The top of the tube is bent down, like an umbrella handle, to stop dirt getting into the tube, and hopefully if you do dunk it, water wont get in.

I don't bother, as if you go through water deeper than the tyres it gets in the swivel hubs and wrecks the bearings and the CV joints. Better to spend 20 minutes driving round a flood than 4 hours and a wad of cash fixing flood damage.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: RogersJimmy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2018 14:56 #198231 by RogersJimmy
Thanks for the information on the diff breather. I have removed the cap, cleaned everything up and coated the inside with WD40 to retard future corrosion. The rubber flap now moves properly inside the cap against the spring, rather than being stuck up at the closed end as before.

Now it is refitted to the axle, the cap bounces on the spout against the spring with light finger pressure. Is that right?

However, I am still not sure how it is supposed to work. If it allows pressure to escape to atmosphere between the cap and spout, why doesn't water enter? The spring is so light that I can't imagine it withstanding much water pressure.

Thank you,
Roger

More
27 Nov 2018 18:26 - 27 Nov 2018 18:27 #198243 by facade

RogersJimmy wrote:

Now it is refitted to the axle, the cap bounces on the spout against the spring with light finger pressure. Is that right?

However, I am still not sure how it is supposed to work. If it allows pressure to escape to atmosphere between the cap and spout, why doesn't water enter? The spring is so light that I can't imagine it withstanding much water pressure.

That is right, it isn't supposed to be under water, only to resist the odd splash. The handbook warns that water that comes over the hubs or axle is too deep. For deep wading, people fit the extended breather tubes (and change the axle oil quite often).

There are also breathers on the transfer box, and gearbox that will let water in if you go too deep (which can be extended with tubes), but you'd likely have wet feet by the time you have to worry about them.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 27 Nov 2018 18:27 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds