BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Double din screen

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Nov 2018 06:10 #197665 by Lambert
Double din screen was created by Lambert
Hi all. It's about time to get a new stereo for Ermintrude. I don't want to spend a fortune but I would like to have Google maps based navigation and either Wi-Fi or Bluetooth music streaming. I'm not bothered about a CD player or even a radio tuner. I need pre outs for a sub minimum and if the internal amp is weak then front and rear pre outs too. If it doesn't have integral maps then the minimum of Android screen mirroring would do.

Ten years ago I wouldn't have hesitated to get a pioneer or alpine but things have changed since then. What have you got, how good is it and would you recommend it?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2018 11:03 - 15 Nov 2018 11:05 #197675 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Double din screen
I have been using my Android phone with the google voice assistant lately on my trips. It works so sweet, now even with my norwegian dialect.
Ok so google now know all about my trip and the kebab i bought.
But the pros are still bigger than the cons for me.
I just tell the phone navigate to whatever adress, or find the closest kebab, or send a text to my wife or whatever. All now even with my rural western norwegian dialect. Guess you could say it is as far from a BBC news dialect/sociolect as your northern dialects.
It just works beautiful.
Drove for 9-10 hours with navigation most of the time, and still the google navigation did not drain my phones data bytes.

I need a better holder for the phone in plain sight and a bluetooth connection to the stereo.
Allmost only thing needed in a car now is an amp with bluetooth reciever.
6-7" screen mirroring sounds clever. is that possible? would need touch as well mirrored to be perfect..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 15 Nov 2018 11:05 by yakuza. Reason: added touch comment

More
15 Nov 2018 11:06 #197676 by yakuza
by the way I got a Pioneer head unit with pre outs and 6" screen and DAB.
Bought used for 150£ approx.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
15 Nov 2018 16:19 #197683 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Double din screen
Alpine do what I'm after but it comes with a hefty price tag. Just under 700 pounds. Sterling. I think NOT! It's just that I have got tired of my holder for the phone either being in line of sight or waiting to pounce on my knuckle if i miss judge going for the wipers.

More
15 Nov 2018 16:32 #197684 by yakuza
These navigation units tend to need a update now and then. Which is why the phone is the best option i think..
My phone holder is placed ok on the far side center vent grille, but a bit too fiddly and wobbly.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
15 Nov 2018 17:39 #197686 by Lambert
Hence wanting screen mirroring that way everything is upto date.

More
16 Nov 2018 00:02 - 16 Nov 2018 01:17 #197699 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Double din screen
You may want to consider one of these:

Although mine isn't the Seicane, I have a unit I purchased about 7 or 8 months ago. Honestly think that they are all made in the same factory. I owned a predecessor for about 2 1/2 years but became annoyed with the resistive touch screen and went with the newer capacitive touch screen. My experience is that the units are extremely durable, reasonably priced and Seicane has superb customer service.

Seicane

I would suggest going to Alieexpress if you are interested. You can find minor differences in memory and accessories. Just do a search there for 'android head units Suzuki Jimny'.

Like this

Sounds like one of these would do everything you are asking about.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2018 01:17 by zukebob.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Nov 2018 04:21 #197700 by Lambert
That could be the one.

More
16 Nov 2018 07:36 #197701 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Double din screen
Sony do some decent double DIN hus with Android auto. A must have for me is a physical volume knob, on screen adjustment is just too much faff when driving.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds