BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

confused about hubs

• macclad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2018 19:58 #197147 by macclad
confused about hubs was created by macclad
can't get my head around drive train, does the Jimny always have drive going to front wheels, vacuum switch just engages hubs and therefore drive to the front, if i fitted manual or fixed hubs how do i engage 4wd and low if i've disenged/blocked the vacuum system.
cheers Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2018 20:27 #197148 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic confused about hubs
First part of your question is yes so the second part of your question is if you fit manual ones it will be in 2wd or 4wd depending which of the settings you manually select on the hubs. If you fitted fixed hubs which are set to engage then you will have permanent 4wd.

• macclad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Oct 2018 20:30 #197149 by macclad
Replied by macclad on topic confused about hubs
Thanks mickt, what about engaging low?

More
29 Oct 2018 20:55 #197150 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic confused about hubs
In 2wd the transfer case only sends drive to the rear axle. The hubs disconnect so the front wheels aren't back-driving the front axle and propshaft.
When you engage 4wd a dog clutch in the transfer case engages, sending drive to the front axle. A switch is closed, signalling the vacuum system to lock the hubs so the front driveline is complete and all 4 wheels are driven.
Low range is simply a second set of gears in the transfer case, offering further reduction.
With manual hubs left in the locked position 2- and 4wd still operate as normal, but the front wheels are always back-driving the front axle, slightly decreasing fuel economy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
30 Oct 2018 01:27 #197155 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic confused about hubs
+1 on Busta's comments

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Oct 2018 06:35 #197160 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic confused about hubs
Busta is right as usual.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2018 20:46 #197188 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic confused about hubs
Oops seems I did not know how also!! I do know though!

• macclad
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Oct 2018 21:37 #197189 by macclad
Replied by macclad on topic confused about hubs
Thanks busta, but this is where i'm confused, if i have manual locking hubs, therfore doing away with the vacuum actuated stuff, locking the hubs on the wheels isn't anywhere near the transfer box so what sends a message to the transfer box to drive tthe front wheels, and is it a vacuum switch that sends a message to the transfer box to select low range, so i couldn't do that if iv'e disconnected the vaccums.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Oct 2018 01:20 #197190 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic confused about hubs
Selecting 4wd high ratio simply engages drive to the front axle via the prop shaft. In 2wd only the rear prop shaft is engaged. In 4wd both prop shafts spins.

More
31 Oct 2018 02:27 - 31 Oct 2018 02:30 #197191 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic confused about hubs

macclad wrote: if i have manual locking hubs, therfore doing away with the vacuum actuated stuff, locking the hubs on the wheels isn't anywhere near the transfer box so what sends a message to the transfer box

Reading between the lines, I am assuming you have a push-button transfer. If that is the case, when the system "sees" a vacuum (whether you have vacuum operated hubs or not), a signal is sent to the 4WD controller allowing engagement of 4WD H when the button is pushed. It also allows progression to 4WD L. To operate the transfer case when you have manual hubs with a push-button transfer, you will need to either plug the vacuum lines (so that the system really does have vacuum) or short the vacuum switch (so that the system thinks it has vacuum).

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Last edit: 31 Oct 2018 02:30 by zukebob.

More
31 Oct 2018 08:07 #197193 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic confused about hubs
White two wire plug that is below the battery attached to a small cylindrical reservoir with a mushroom like breather on the top, all the vacuum lines go into it. Unplug and bridge the wires on the plug, that gets the vacuum signal constant and gives the transfer box interlock signal.

Next is the vacuum line, blue one way valve from inlet manifold, again connected to the reservoir below the battery on the same side of the engine. Remove the hose from the top of the blue one way valve and block it on the manifold side. This is to stop any vacuum leak causing the engine to run poorly.

I recently fitted manual hubs and the above took five minutes. There is a pictorial guide in the wiki pages, sorry I don't know how to do a link......

sniper

More
31 Oct 2018 10:34 #197196 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic confused about hubs
Thanks sniper.

Macclad- to engage 4wd both the hubs must be locked/engaged and the transfer case needs to be put into 4wd. Some choose to leave the hubs in the locked position, in which case 2wd and 4wd are simply selected using the stick or buttons as normal.

By fitting manual hubs you have made all vacuum systems redundant.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds