BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Head Gasket

• mresowik
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2018 20:20 - 26 Oct 2018 20:22 #197094 by mresowik
Head Gasket was created by mresowik
Hi everyone,
Got my 03 Jimny last week and loving it, having done 95K miles and there not being really any service history I have been doing a general fluid change for the entire car. I plan on taking it down to France for the winter season and am keen to change the head gasket before I go, it’s not showing any signs of being blown but for peace of mind and for future ownership I want to know it’s good and won’t potentially blow. I have some experience with bits and bobs but don’t have the tools or experience to change one on the M13A with the chain drive. Garage costs are looking to be £350 plus the gasket at £80. Does anyone on here know anywhere that could do it reasonably or themselves has the tools and would be keen to lend a hand, I’m based down in ALTON Hampshire but would be willing to travel some distance to get this done.

Second question, there is a sheared rocker cover bolt on my engine and the remaining bolt sits below the top of the shoulder, it’s the back right and really hard to get above. Does anyone know if you can replace the threaded stud in the cylinder head or is the only option to drill it out and re tap the hole. In my efforts to remove it have kind of mashed up the thread above it.

Sorry for long post, but thanks for any of your responses!
Cheers!
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Oct 2018 20:22 by mresowik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2018 20:27 #197095 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic Head Gasket
blue is the best,,,

• mresowik
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Oct 2018 20:31 #197096 by mresowik
Replied by mresowik on topic Head Gasket
Certainly Is a great colour

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Oct 2018 05:49 #197098 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Head Gasket
Quite honestly there is no real reason to change the head gasket preventatively on a Jimny. I have only heard of maybe half a dozen having issues, it's not a regular problem with them. I would save the money.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
27 Oct 2018 12:01 - 27 Oct 2018 12:07 #197100 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Head Gasket
Although I don't know the Jimny all that well (yet) I would wholeheartedly agree with Lambert on the matter of the headgasket, and would say that most modern car engines wouldnt require this..

Regarding the broken stud/bolt, I would be inclined to repeatedly soak it with the likes of WD40 for a few days - or lots longer if its looking grim.
Once that's done thoroughly, I'd then drill into it and try extracting it using a Dormer extractor

or another good quality extractor. (I find the likes of Draper ones with a spiral on them pretty poor in comparison to the Dormer and likely to snap.
(Bear in mind if it does snap, you will now have a hardened metal stuck inside the bolt/stud and it will need to be carefully ground using a small diamond encrusted rotary file)

I've used Dormer extractors for years with great success. You do feel them twisting slightly as you use them so be careful - if you feel that happening you are getting fairly close to breaking it.

My technique is make the largest possible hole without getting too close to the threads, drill into the end of the broken bolt/screw/stud as squarely as possible, and deep enough that the extractor cannot bottom-out in the hole.
Position the extractor squarely into the hole and firmly tap it down using a hammer until you feel the helix on the extractor start biting into the sides of the hole... Then a few more taps to make certain.
Ideally, use a T-handle from a tapping set on the square top of the extrector, slowly unscrew the bolt, applying steadily increasing pressure to the turning action on the extractor and the offending fastener will hopefully come out.
With seriously awkward ones where the extractor is slipping in the hole and not biting into the sides, I get someone to firmly tap the top of the extractor while I turn the bolt.
At a push you could use an adjustable spanner on the square of the extractor but be careful to apply only rotational force and not lean it over as you turn which could lead to breaking the extractor.

Oh yes, and dont forget: Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey :whistle: :lol:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 27 Oct 2018 12:07 by Max Headroom.

More
27 Oct 2018 13:56 #197104 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Head Gasket
Just adding a third "dont change the head gasket". As stated unless you have reason to believe its leaking I would leave it well alone. If you feel the need to change anything the top and bottom radiator hoses can deteriorate with age and usually leak first. This is not Jimny specific problem, just a car in general issue. Having said that my Jimny top hose started to leak at 50k miles (2009), but a new hose and antifreeze soo sorted it out. Supprised how weak the original top hose was compared to the new, so happy I changed it.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• mickt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Oct 2018 15:42 #197110 by mickt
Replied by mickt on topic Head Gasket
If the rocker cover gasket is not leaking then leave it alone would be my advice. But if you are determined to do the job then from your description removing the rocker cover should reveal the remains of the shank of the snapped bolt. If there is enough of it to allow you could use a bolt removal tool or even a good quality mole grip. Preferably the actual make MOLE grip as the Chinese copies are crap. Or if you can weld then weld a nut on the shank and screw it out. If that fails then cut the shank flush with the head and centre punch the remaining shank and very carefully drill the centre. Use cobalt drills and start with say a 1.5mm and build up to just under the shanks diameter. If you have been accurate that will leave you with a hole that you should be able to retap without damaging the head. Hope this helps..

More
27 Oct 2018 18:04 #197112 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Head Gasket
A more effective prep for a long trip would be to run a flushing oil through the system and then use a nice high quality oil in the system.

Suzuki 1300 engines love good quality oil changed regularly and will seemingly run for ever if loved.. The penalty for not doing this is the likelyhood of an oilway above number 4 cylinder (the one at the back) getting blocked and the camshaft seizing.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds