BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Brakes

More
23 Oct 2018 14:37 #196977 by sniper
Brakes was created by sniper
Finally all here, fitting tomorrow...

Lets hope this sorts it, I only changed the discs a few months ago but the sticky calliper has warped one.

The disks are Mintex that are drilled and grooved aftermarket, a little suspicious but we'll see how they perform.....

sniper
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Oct 2018 16:21 #196982 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Brakes
I'll be interested to see how you get on with the drilled discs, given the propensity for drilled holes to act as stress risers more than cast ones do. Keep us posted.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Oct 2018 17:42 #197007 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Brakes
Come on then! what are they like, or are you still busy fitting them? :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
24 Oct 2018 18:59 #197010 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Brakes
No great news yet, got to bed them in over a few hundred miles....... All feels good and even, I've got the normal braided hose "dead pedal" where you loose a bit of feel, but you haven't, it's flex in the old lines thats gone. The braking effort reduces and looses a bit of sponge, just different and takes some getting used to.

They have certainly helped with acceleration...... strange thing driving forwards while the car is holding you back...

I'll tell more when I've got it.

sniper

More
27 Oct 2018 07:12 #197099 by sniper
I hadn't realised how much the old callipers were dragging, the new set up is as it should be.... completely free with no drag evident.

The greenstuff pads appear to work well but they need to be warmed up a little, the T junction 10yds from my drive was a bit scary on the first morning. The usual touch of the brakes to stop from 5mph didn't work very well..... A couple of early slow brake applications and they are fine.

I have only had one B road thrash with some heavy braking in it and there was no fade at all. A good 20mins of 50-60mph driving with lots of severe bends and hard braking.

I dab my brakes going into most fast corners, lets me feel where the car is on it's tyres and gets them in full contact with the road. Something I picked up on a days tuition and it's ingrained now. The braided hoses have made doing this, have less feel. Sometimes over braking. I suppose I will get used to it but it is quite a change.

It appears to have been a little over-due to be done, floating callipers do need to be floating..... freely.

Callipers £98
Greenstuff pads £34
HEL braided hoses £64
Mintex drilled/grooved disks £125 (std Mintex disks are £50, so £75 for the machining, seems pricey)

Fitting at my local workshop £72, I thought that would be a better option with all lines needing to be bled.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
27 Oct 2018 12:33 #197101 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Brakes
Hi Sniper,

Are your brake hoses standard length or extended?
I'm looking for some standard length hoses but braided - it seems that animal doesnt exist :S

If yours are standard - where did you find them please?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
27 Oct 2018 12:53 - 27 Oct 2018 12:56 #197102 by sniper
www.ebay.co.uk/usr/id-workz?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Standard length braided brake lines by HEL sold by an outfit called id-workz.

sniper
Last edit: 27 Oct 2018 12:56 by sniper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
27 Oct 2018 13:04 - 27 Oct 2018 13:09 #197103 by Max Headroom
Many thanks, Sniper! :)

Item found. Seller has 100% feedback too which certainly says something!

Last edit: 27 Oct 2018 13:09 by Max Headroom.

More
04 Nov 2018 08:33 #197294 by sniper
I've gotten used to the change in peddle feel, the brakes have lost all the sponge with the braided lines and everything is much more direct. It felt like a loss of feel but it's just instant, as soon as the pedal moves, there is brake action.

Everything is bedded in now and I've built a little confidence in them, braking is certainly better with no fade at all. Instant bite from the pads once they are warm, they still work cold but need a little more pedal effort.

I think the biggest change is the callipers doing their job properly, I think they have been under performing since I got the car. I would certainly recommend swapping them at the first sign of trouble.

sniper

More
04 Nov 2018 09:52 - 04 Nov 2018 09:53 #197295 by Max Headroom
Yes, I know exactly what you mean; I fitted braided flexible lines to my 1970s MG which was always known for very poor brake-feel anyway!
I owned the car 20 years so got used to it. I recently changed the entire brake system for the second time as it was old, but this time bled the brakes far better than I did back in the day.
Now the brakes are much more responsive, but they feel like youre still standing on a plank of wood - no progressivness - but thats just how they are.

At least all your braking 'effor't is now being used for operating the brake action as opposed to being 'lost 'trying to expand the flexible lines! :)

Last edit: 04 Nov 2018 09:53 by Max Headroom.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds