BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Speakers,Subs and Stereos

• mresowik
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2018 20:58 - 09 Oct 2018 20:58 #196608 by mresowik
Speakers,Subs and Stereos was created by mresowik
Hi all,I’m getting my Jimny next week off of a mate, and I’ve got the first few bits sorted, wheels, tyres, crank sensor etc. But looking further into the future I want to upgrade the speakers and stereo system. I was wondering if anyone had had any experience with fitting the slim underseat subs, as well as speakers all around. And also if anyone has fitted anything in the way of the new Pioneer SPH-DA120 7” screen with CarPlay if it even fits.
Any help greatly appreciated B)
Last edit: 09 Oct 2018 20:58 by mresowik.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2018 21:26 - 09 Oct 2018 21:29 #196611 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
I fitted a double din Sony into my 2009 Jimny so it can be done ( SPH-DA120 appears to be double din also), but the vehicle age will determine what bits are required.
What is common across all ages is the poor standard speakers. Uk only gets front speakers, but the factory location for both front and rears speakers limits the size you can fit. If you want the best sound reproduction relocation of the speakers to door cards etc may allow better sizes to be fitted. From memory if you are lucky 5" is as big as you can go in the standard locations, more likely 4inch. The good news is that even though the rear speakers are not fitted they are cabled from the head unit.
If you stick to standard speaker locations your are going to need some form of base unit in my opinion, as you say maybe under seat.
I cant offer any suggestions on this but will read any offered with interest.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 09 Oct 2018 21:29 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mresowik

• mresowik
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Oct 2018 21:47 #196612 by mresowik
Replied by mresowik on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
Awesome thankyou Mike. Yes I may look into fitting rear speakers also. Looking into the location of the 03 stereo location and the 09 it maybe be too angled down in the 03 to be functional. I may end up getting the new Pioneer SPH-10BT with the smartphone screen. Thanks for your reply!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Oct 2018 04:21 #196613 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
I have for a very modest outlay got quite a decent system. 4 inch 3 ways in the back, 5.25 inch 4 ways in the front. They required spacer rings and some trimming of the internal structure of the kick plate covers but they are discreet. I also have an underseat sub and a simple single din pioneer in the dash. It's never going to make your ears bleed but it's not bad certainly not for less than the cost of a branded double din touch screen.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
10 Oct 2018 05:16 - 10 Oct 2018 05:17 #196615 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
I got mostly the same set up as Lambert here.
All original stuff must go. First a 2Din Pioneer AVH 3700 something DAB.
then changed the front set to two way with small tweeters on the dash top, Later changed the bass elements to JBL 5 or 6" mid bass down front.
I cut holes in the kick plates.
Rear sides i bought some cheap but almost OK 4" off ebay.
You should get 5" inside with some work.
And I have a way too cheap ~40£ bass box under the passenger seat.
All helps, but i regret buying all the cheap stuff. Typically me trying to save money but end up throwing it away after a while just to buy better stuff :)

Only thing I am pleased with is the JBL's and the Pioneer head unit.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 10 Oct 2018 05:17 by yakuza.

More
10 Oct 2018 19:13 #196644 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
In my SJ413 I had a speaker system attached to the rear door. In my Pajero I have a system attached to the roof behind the rear seats.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Oct 2018 20:01 - 11 Oct 2018 20:05 #196669 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
I’ve got the pioneer sphda120 fitted in my Jimny. Great unit.
I’ve wired up 2 cameras to it too, one into the high level brake light that looks at my trailer and one at the number plate as a proper backup camera
Front speakers I left as 10cm and fitted vibe speakers and the rear I fitted 16cm jbl 2 ways. I had to trim the opening a bit to get them to fit but they work well
As for the slim subs I don’t know, I put in an alpine type r twin voicecoil 10inch boxed sub that I had from a previous car. It sounds great at low as well as high volume.

The CarPlay unit is great but no DAB, the newer sph da230dab might be of interest. But I’m not sure the newer radio can run pioneers app radio functions, I’ve got a obd2 WiFi dongle and via the DashCmd app on my phone I can display live engine info on the pioneer screen. It’s just a funky gadget.

If I can help you out with facia part numbers etc just let me know. Here’s an inks pic of my radio install. I really like how neat the pioneer can be fitted.

Pioneer fitted

Tony.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2018 20:05 by NineCherries. Reason: Broken link

More
11 Oct 2018 20:29 #196674 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
My Jimny's stereo sounds awful. I did it on a budget and I think that's why. I've got an old Sony head unit but have had good sound from an identical head unit in another car, do it's not that.

I put Halfords Edge speakers of standard size in the standard location and they were crap. So I upgraded to Pioneer 3 ways but they too are crap.

I had Alphasonics in my old Jimny and for their size and location they were ok. With rears I think they would have been good.

Given it's been a rough and ready off roader with a whining Rocklobster and Humming Malatesta Kaiman tyres it's not been worth investing in but I've spent more time in it this year. I've been looking at quieter tyres and transfer box, so would then want to resolve the stereo situation.

I therefore read this with interest.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
11 Oct 2018 23:27 #196688 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos

NineCherries wrote: Pioneer fitted

Tony.

I do like that!!

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NineCherries

• mresowik
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2018 10:10 #196700 by mresowik
Replied by mresowik on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
Hi Tony,
Looks very clean! I’m just trying to think would it be worth it in an 03 Jimny as the area it would be mounted is slightly lower etc. It may work, however thanks for your help!

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2018 17:44 #196712 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
I think it would fit, if I remember rightly the older interior has a single din but it’s got the clock/pocket below. I reckon you might had a little bit of jiggery pokery to get it in but it would look good. I used to have a clock/pocket and frame in my garage so i’ll have a look over the weekend, if I find it I can measure it for height. Width will be ok but it’ll need either 103mm bolted in or with the pioneer factory cage 113mm. If I can help, give me a shout.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Oct 2018 18:40 #196714 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Speakers,Subs and Stereos
I have double din Sony head unit, components up front, tweeters mounted on dash, 3 way in the back and box with a powered sub in the boot area brilliant sound but can't really see out of the rear view mirror when I turn it up :D

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds