BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Monroe suspension, early impressions

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2018 08:33 #195756 by NineCherries
Monroe suspension, early impressions was created by NineCherries
Earlier this week I finally got round to replacing my tired factory dampers. My car has done just shy of 65k miles and was felling very boat like and undamped.

The rears went on with zero drama, the fronts took a little persuasion with the help of a cutting disc, that top nut was not for coming off otherwise. The nut on the bottom bolt on both sides did come off and was reusable but the shoulders of the nut were showing signs of chewing up so I’ll replace them with a couple new ones from the dealer today. Fitting the new fronts was a piece of cake.

Of the original dampers both the front and one rear would compress but not extend, all the damper bushes had seen better day so it’s no surprise the ride quality has been transformed. The car feels much tighter, not as crashy over bumps, manhole covers etc handling is much more confidence inspiring and the tendency to meander on the motorway has gone.

At the start of this year I had the beginnings of death wobble (it was no where near “death” but the wobble started at 40/45mph) and on inspecting the king pins had had it and were replace. Both front wheel bearings were also replaced soon after and things greatly improved but I still had a little wobble on the wheel (like an out of balance wheel) around 45mph but I thought I was just going to have to live with it. To my surprise changing the dampers has also sorted the wobble. Steering now feels a bit heavier at speed and no wobble through the steering wheel so I am a very happy chappy. I guess the car is more planted now and not floating along being bounced from bump to bump.

So to round this up I am very impressed with the Monroe Adventure dampers, i found it a fairly easy job to do in the driveway and it has transformed the way my Jimny drives and feels.

If my opinion changes I’ll post an update but I’m keeping my fingers crossed it won’t.

Tony.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2018 08:49 #195758 by sniper
Virtually the same story as my car, I found a steering damper solved the wobble completely and enhanced the feel of the car further still.

They are a simple diy fit too.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
07 Sep 2018 08:52 #195759 by Lambert
Exactly my experience too though I have Trailmaster not Monroe's.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2018 19:35 #195774 by jim
Replied by jim on topic Monroe suspension, early impressions
Another job I need to do too, I can feel the suspension isn't as sharp as it once was. I don't think loading up the boot with bags of ballast helped.
Are the Monroe Adventure shocks meant to be uprated from their standard OE replacement ones?

• NineCherries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Sep 2018 23:25 #195776 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:Monroe suspension, early impressions
I not sure sorry. The adventure shocks have had some good feedback on here so that’s the only ones I had been shopping for as the were an exact fitment, the bushes were pre installed and they were within my available budget.
T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• jim
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Sep 2018 17:25 #195819 by jim
Replied by jim on topic Re:Monroe suspension, early impressions
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on them. I have just ordered some rears. The bushes look really worn on mine.

Time to create page: 0.092 seconds