BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

M13a rattle in 4th gear only.

• AfricanJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2018 17:35 #195674 by AfricanJimny
M13a rattle in 4th gear only. was created by AfricanJimny
Howzit chaps !

Brandon from sunny South Africa here and stoked to be part of a Jimny specific forum !

My 2011 M13a has developed a rattle in 4th gear only , it sounds much to me like a worn bearing , however , I have heard some people suggesting a t case could be bad ?

Obviously without stripping it , it would be silly to speculate but what are your guys experiences ? Anybody here had a similar problem ?

My gf and I are off to Mozambique end of the week , surprise for her ( engagement on the cards if she says yes ) and want to know if you guys have had this rattle , how long you went with it. I want to sort this out ASAP but it's popped up at a bad time with it being so close to this holiday.

Hoping silently that I can get 2000km out of it before it spits out it's internals and leaves me with metal pie on the highway ?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
03 Sep 2018 17:47 #195675 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic M13a rattle in 4th gear only.
if you skip gears (i.e. 3rd to 5th/5th to 3rd), does that stop the noise? if yes then gearbox, if no then probs transfer box.

2000k? yes probably if you skip 4th all the time and its probably a good idea to top-up the gearbox oil. maybe even add some thick grease into the oil (trick for making a dodgy gearbox quieter)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• AfricanJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2018 17:57 #195676 by AfricanJimny
Replied by AfricanJimny on topic M13a rattle in 4th gear only.
I haven't tried skipping gears as yet , I'll give that a bash tomorrow and see.

I may end up having to throw some grease at it , which I'm not happy about , but I just need it to last until next week.

I pulled the box a couple weeks back to do a clutch , input shaft bearing felt ok , acceptable wear for a 140000km old box , nothing excessive.

I do have a feeling that I'm going to have to pull it again though by the looks of things.

What normally goes , worn 4th gear or the bearing ?

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds