BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Quaife ATB differential

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Aug 2018 11:07 - 10 Aug 2018 11:08 #194979 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Quaife ATB differential
I know you're trying to put me off a helical diff but ya ain't succeeding! :laugh: :laugh: :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 11:08 by Lambert. Reason: Fat fingers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2018 11:13 #194980 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Quaife ATB differential

yakuza wrote: Basically an open diff distributes power more based on rpm and the helical diff distributes power more based on torque.
more rpm (the outer wheel) gets less torque in an open diff. (feeling a bit on thin ice now, hope i got this right :) )

A great video explaining how an open differential evenly distributes torque:

More
10 Aug 2018 11:24 #194981 by Busta

Lambert wrote: I know you're trying to put me off a helical diff but ya ain't succeeding! :laugh: :laugh: :) :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Not at all. I think they are great and would fit one in a heartbeat. It's just Snipers talk of feeling the torque 'being evenly spread across the axle' and pushing the car more evenly down the road irked me because this is completely opposed to how a torque biasing differential works. The truth is at anything below the limits of grip you simply will not notice it's even there. Until the moment one wheel begins to lose traction, torque is equal across both wheels so there is no biasing to be done and the LSD behaves just like an open diff.

More
10 Aug 2018 14:29 #194989 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Quaife ATB differential
Sorry you felt irked Busta, my review is an honest one, based on driving my car pre ATB and post ATB.

I presume you have experience that disagrees with my review. I am biased, I've driven these diffs in four different cars now.

If you have fitted the ATB in a RWD chassis and had a different experience, please share.....

sniper

More
10 Aug 2018 15:09 #194991 by Busta
I wonder if your Jimny was broken before you fitted it then? My Jimny with an open differential has always pushed me squarely down the road.

I'd fit one as a traction aid off road and can definitely see the benefit there, but you paint a picture of an 80hp Jimny being transformed into an amazingly dynamic Lotus-esque sports car and it all just seems rather silly and misplaced. Squatting under acceleration? Even drag when braking? Come off it! You've been reading too many car magazines.

More
10 Aug 2018 15:49 - 10 Aug 2018 16:24 #194992 by sniper
Maybe so Busta, too many magazines, too many cars, too many differentials and maybe a bit more driving experience too.

I notice the smallest of changes in chassis dynamics and yes I might be a bit up my own arse about it, but what I say is right and you have bugger all to repute it. I can make my 86hp sing and I can drive it. Changes in spring rates, dampers, tyres, fuel, air filter, oil and now differential have all made notable differences in my car.

I am at a loss as to why you would disagree so strongly unless you have experience that proves a different position.

As an engineer I'm always open to the experiences of others and am happy to learn from them, I take others opinion verbatim, unless I can argue otherwise. You seem to not like my verse but have not an ounce of contradictory argument......

sniper
Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 16:24 by sniper.

More
10 Aug 2018 17:32 #194994 by Busta
Explain how an lsd pushes a car down a road more evenly than an open differential.

More
10 Aug 2018 18:39 - 10 Aug 2018 19:00 #194997 by sniper
Google it mate......

Got nowt to prove, when you've driven the diff I'll defer to your greater knowledge..... it isn't an LSD by the way.....

sniper
Last edit: 10 Aug 2018 19:00 by sniper.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Aug 2018 20:35 #195001 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Quaife ATB differential
Play nicely, both of you!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2018 21:16 #195010 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Quaife ATB differential
Well if anything...
I'll admit I'd like to read a review from someone who didn't spend their own money on the diff.

More
10 Aug 2018 21:56 #195013 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Quaife ATB differential
The original post did strike me as being a touch heavy on the hyperbole, reading as though the vehicle in question was a performance car, rather than a 1.3 Jimny! But I certainly appreciated the review, even if I'm still more inclined to spend my money on an ARB locker.

More
10 Aug 2018 22:32 #195016 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic Quaife ATB differential
Just after the full 80HP kicked in, The rear squatted and erm

Shat itself.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds