BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

U-pol Raptor paint

More
23 Jul 2018 12:32 #194566 by Bosanek
U-pol Raptor paint was created by Bosanek
Does anyone have a car (or has painted a car or its underbody) with Upol Raptor paint?

Can they share some pictures and impressions?

That special industrial paint is being advertised and praised throughout the Internet for heavy-duty applications, like the bodies of monster off-road vehicles, cargo beds of pick-up trucks, and also for vehicle underbody.

Allegedly the paint is quite resistant against scratches (for example when scratching against branches in a dense forest), UV rays, various chemicals, corrosion, etc.

I've seen a lot of examples of various all-terrain vehicles with that body paint on the Internet, but none with my own eyes. And I've seen only a few pictures of Jimnys.

I am considering repainting at least the plastic side body cladding and the front and rear bumpers with this paint.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2018 13:11 #194568 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic U-pol Raptor paint
Here in the Philippines there is a big push by a vendor who advertises in our club. He has some pictures of a Jimny that I will post and I will ask for any personal experience. I don't personally like the look for the vehicle but have been tempted with my steel bumpers.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2018 13:38 #194571 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic U-pol Raptor paint
Lots of examples on YouTube.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2018 14:57 #194581 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic U-pol Raptor paint
isnt it very expensive? I mean, for these cheap chassies, is it worth it?

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2018 15:16 #194583 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic U-pol Raptor paint
You could paint the entire car for around £400. Pretty cheap I think.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jul 2018 19:26 #194589 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic U-pol Raptor paint

TomDK wrote: You could paint the entire car for around £400. Pretty cheap I think.

Oh, i though it was 3x that..

More
23 Jul 2018 19:49 #194591 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic U-pol Raptor paint
Did the cab on my trayback with Raptor.... £75

Attachments:

More
24 Jul 2018 05:38 #194595 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic U-pol Raptor paint

OlaGB wrote:

TomDK wrote: You could paint the entire car for around £400. Pretty cheap I think.

Oh, i though it was 3x that..

gasolin.no/overflate/andre-overflatebehandlinger/bedliner.html
Norwegian supplier Ola. Dangerous webshop, looks addictive so I stay off it..

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OlaGB

More
24 Jul 2018 07:52 #194597 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic U-pol Raptor paint
There's an outfit in Nottingham advertising full resprays from £600......

Raptor resprays on facebook.

sniper

More
24 Jul 2018 11:38 - 24 Jul 2018 11:40 #194606 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic U-pol Raptor paint
Appearance is a matter of personal taste. Someone would say that a Raptor paint has destroyed the vehicle, while someone else would say that is has finally done justice to the vehicle.

All I know is that the roughness of the texture varies depending on air pressure which is used during spraying. So it can be as rough as a sailor's palm, or almost as smooth as teenger's cheek (but without the glossy finish of an typical automotive paint).

What concerns me the most (and I can't find much info about) is how actually is it resistant to scratches in practice (especially against branches in a dense bush environment) and does it have any issues with cleaning and washing.

I am also interested if it is the best solution for underbody rust proofing protection.

I encountered a few vehicles on parking lots which were sprayed with something Raptor-alike. I am not certain if it was Raptor paint, but it was the same type of paint. I tried scratching each vehicle with my fingernail, and they were relatively easy to scratch (my fingernails left visible lines).

I've also heard that Raptor paint is quite difficult to clean, for example hardened pigeon crap is supposedly almost impossible to entirely clean from it, because it embeds in the tiny undulations in the paint surface.
But these are just allegations and I want some confirmations.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2018 11:40 by Bosanek.

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Jul 2018 16:17 #194613 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic U-pol Raptor paint
There are other, perhaps better suited options. Like Buzzweld and Steel-it.

More
25 Jul 2018 07:41 #194629 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic U-pol Raptor paint
Haven't received any comments from our club members. This is a picture of one of the Jimnys with the Raptor coating:

As Tom mentioned, there are other similar products such as this one with line-x:

If anyone does finally provide personal experience (especially brush conditions) I will give an update.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds