BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I've made a dumb mistake with tyres...

• MisterJiggles
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2018 12:19 - 17 Jul 2018 12:48 #194379 by MisterJiggles
I've made a dumb mistake with tyres... was created by MisterJiggles
Hey guys new here and first time Jimny owner so go easy!

Bought myself a Jimny (which currently isn't working thanks to a melted rear bumper loom) but I have some AT tyres on order since it came on cheap Chinese road tyres. I ordered myself some Hankook Dynapro ATs in 215/75/R15C (emphasis on the C).

After browsing the wiki on tyre choices I see that it's pretty ill advised buying cargo tyres for the Jimny, I didn't actually realise these were cargo tyres until just now, and realise my mistake.

The problem is, it's £100 to return all 4 tyres and that's painfully expensive. However, whilst they are cargo tyres, the load rating is exactly the same as the non cargo version of the Dynapros, with them both having a load rating of 97, the only difference is the normal ones have a Q speed rating (<99mph) and the C's have a load rating of S (<112mph).

Do you think I can probably get away with running them without too many issues? I don't want to shake my suspension components to pieces, but I also can't afford to send the bloody things back either, and I doubt they'll sell very quickly, or for much money if I try to sell them second hand brand new.

Can anybody shine some light on this?

EDIT: Checking Hankook's website, they also don't appear to advertise this tyre for vans and pickups, only for SUVs, and I can't find any evidence of it being a cargo tyre anywhere else, could it just be a mistake by the website selling?
Last edit: 17 Jul 2018 12:48 by MisterJiggles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Jul 2018 13:43 #194385 by Riccy
I wouldn’t worry about the cargo rating on them. Most tyres like that will be similar. Lower tyre pressures perhaps if you find the ride harsh. Shouldn’t be a problem. The hankooks are good tyres

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• MisterJiggles
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2018 14:13 #194387 by MisterJiggles
Replied by MisterJiggles on topic Re:I've made a dumb mistake with tyres...
That's good then, I don't seem to be bale to find any evidence anywhere that these tyres are even sold as cargo tyres so I'm beginning to think it could just be a mistake on the seller's side. We'll see soon hopefully!

On that topic, any suggestions on tyre pressures? I know the OEM recommended is 23psi front and 26psi rear, but I might drop to something like 22psi all around on these tyres since they're going to have a tough sidewall, but I've also ordered myself a little electric compressor so I can deflate them for off road use and pump them back up when I get back to the tarmac.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Jul 2018 16:09 #194390 by Riccy
Just try them and see how it goes. Probably 20psi all round will be about right, more in the back if fully laden. I used to have BFG ATs and ran them at 20 happily in the 215/75r15 size.

I use 20psi for road and 12-15 off road/laning, but mine are much bigger 31x10.5r15 Coopers. They have LT after the size, which i think means Light Truck (being an american tyre). Solid things and go anywhere! Cope really well with very little air in there :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• MisterJiggles
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2018 16:11 #194391 by MisterJiggles
Replied by MisterJiggles on topic Re:I've made a dumb mistake with tyres...
Yeah it's a 6ply sidewall so I imagine it'll be happy to run some relatively low pressures, and hopefully they'll be decent enough on road too.

White lettering which is nice though, should compliment the gunmetal alloys nicely!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds