BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Would a Jimny be good for me?

• gman88667733
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Jun 2018 14:46 - 14 Jun 2018 14:46 #193438 by gman88667733
Would a Jimny be good for me? was created by gman88667733
I am looking at getting a Jimny. My thinking behind this is that I live down a very uneven, steep track, which gets very slippery to drive up and down and then I have to park on a field that is thick mud and big bumps that my Skoda Yeti bottoms out on. I only drive 7 miles to and from work each day, and then I do a few trips a week out that are a bit longer. I want something fairly cheap, that I don't mind about scuffing up or scratching (getting very bothered about my more expensive Yeti getting scratched). What is the fuel economy like? I'd probably stick AT tyres on it to get the full experience. I would also like something that is fun to drive.

Does a Jimny sound like it would suit me?

Cheers.
Last edit: 14 Jun 2018 14:46 by gman88667733.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2018 16:03 - 15 Jun 2018 04:54 #193445 by yakuza
I believe you score a good 7/10 on the Need A Jimny Scale. You only loose a point because of the fuel economy wich comes down to what you compare it to. compared to another small petrol car you will find better, but compared to other terrain capable cars with stiff axles, i think there is none with as good fuel economy.
You will get another two points if you have no very large space requirements or need it to be very comfortable on-road.

Good luck buying a Jimny!

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 04:54 by yakuza.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
14 Jun 2018 16:59 #193451 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Would a Jimny be good for me?
Sounds like a Jimny is ideal for you :-)

MPG is around 30 for a fairly standard one, modified to hell will be nearer 12mpg (like mine :whistle: ).

Road comfort is poor, but if you still have the yeti then use that for longer trips and the Jimny as a hack to run about in.

Bin off the back seats and it turns into a little van. Jimnys always make people smile so its defo got the fun factor.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
14 Jun 2018 18:36 #193458 by helijohn

gman88667733 wrote: I am looking at getting a Jimny.
Cheers.

Have you been looking at anything else. You say you have a Yeti, did you want that to do the rough work when you bought it? What is fairly cheap - cheap to buy, cheap to run. Ground clearance motors to me seem to be getting harder to find these days.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
14 Jun 2018 18:57 #193462 by Lambert
A Jimny will go places a yeti can't even see so pottering down an unmade track isn't going to bother a Jimny. Where are you in the country someone local might be able to give you a freebie demonstration for a cup a tea?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• gman88667733
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2018 08:15 - 15 Jun 2018 08:27 #193472 by gman88667733
Replied by gman88667733 on topic Would a Jimny be good for me?
I would get rid of the Yeti. The DSG gearbox is rubbish.
We also have a Kia Sorento that would be for longer trips.
The Yeti currently gives me 35mpg in this decent weather and was about 30 in the winter. I don't mind too much if it isn't the most comfortable thing to be in as most of my driving is pottering around.

I originally bought a 4x4 Yeti which ended up giving me no end of issues and so I swapped it in for a 2wd 1.2L petrol DSG one. In hindsight, changing to a 2wd automatic was a mistake as it is awful at slow speeds. In an ideal world, I'd want something a bit more plush inside and a bit more engaging to drive, but I wouldn't even know where to start. I stand to lose a good few thousand when selling the Yeti, so i'd need to buy something cheaper probably. I would also have loved to get another deisel as I liked the driving characteristics, but my mileage would wreck a DPF. This brings me to the Jimny. I don't fit in a stock one as my legs are too long, but I think with the seat extender plates, I may just fit.

I don't know whether 4wd is necessary, but my current Yeti slides around a lot on the grass and the tracking going up out of the property.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2018 08:27 by gman88667733.

More
16 Jun 2018 05:52 #193513 by kirkynut
How about a late low mileage Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5?

It will be big enough and comfortable enough for your size and will do all you want it to do.

You just need to find one without a rusty rear chassis and maintain it.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• gman88667733
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2018 12:33 #193576 by gman88667733
My issue is, I don't want something that is awful to drive. I do probably 7k miles a year, at most. I want something that'll be okay in the slightly tougher conditions, can deal with big holes/potholes in the tracks, it comfortable enough to spend 20 mins or so each way to work and back and that isn't going to break the bank on fuel or insurance (I am only 20).

I don't want to spend more than £5k really.

Is a Jimny my best bet?

More
18 Jun 2018 14:06 #193578 by gilburton
Best idea would be a test drive. Everyone has different ideas/needs so a test drive might be the best way forward.
If there are any for sale locally see if they'll let you take it down where you have to go and also see what its like on your commute.
Make sure it's a dry day as I don't think they would like you taking a shiny clean car off the forecourt and getting it dirty.
They are not the most comfortable but certainly better than an old leaf spring landrover.
If you are happy pottering along at 50/60 it will be no problem and you'll get good mpg assuming no big wheels/tyres and other offroad mods have been done.
They will shift on motorways but they are low geared so fuel consumption will take a hit.
Only other downside is road tax as they are fairly high up the emissions table.
There is no doubt it will fulfill your needs but will YOU like it? They certainly handle well in the snow etc. but you can't drive it on the road in 4wd if it's just wet or in the dry. It's gravel/ice/snow/offroad only.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• gman88667733
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2018 14:25 - 18 Jun 2018 14:25 #193581 by gman88667733
In my commute there is a short stretch of 60mph, which I tend to stick to 50ish in anyway, other than that it is all country lanes really. I wouldn't take it on any long trips or motorway trips as we would use our bigger car for that.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2018 14:25 by gman88667733.

More
18 Jun 2018 14:33 #193582 by gilburton
In that case see if any are for sale locally . Doesn't matter if you intend to buy it or not at this stage you just want to try one.
After that you can decide on budget etc.
Possibly if you put your general location someone on here might show you what they are like?

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• gman88667733
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jun 2018 14:39 - 18 Jun 2018 14:40 #193584 by gman88667733
I am around the Dartmoor area.
Older examples seem to be few and far between right now, around here.
I want an older one that I don't care about scratching or denting, my current car is getting very scratched from the overgrown bushes or branches around my house
Last edit: 18 Jun 2018 14:40 by gman88667733.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds