BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof tent

• Daniel30
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2018 07:10 #193285 by Daniel30
Roof tent was created by Daniel30
Looks good, scroll along They do a jimny and roof tent for hire but I don't know about the weight of two people on the roof?

www.outback.is

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2018 01:29 #193311 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Roof tent
A number of the people in the Jimny club here have them. They are the Chinese version. The owners appear to enjoy them.

I would likely be tempted but they appear to be a little heavy and they aren't too easy to mount and remove. For those reasons, I will stick to throwing my 2-man pop-up onto the roof rack when I do an overnight trip.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Daniel30
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Jun 2018 09:30 #193321 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Roof tent
Yeah I'm with you on that ;)

More
16 Jun 2018 06:05 #193515 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Roof tent
This is a bad idea. One person in the tent puts it way over the weight limit for the plastic roof bar mounts.

I appreciate it won't be driven with people in but the weight is so excessive I'd fear the tent falling off with the people in.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
16 Jun 2018 06:27 #193516 by zukebob
Maybe I'm just being spiteful but I will go one further and say that anyone that mounts a roof tent to the stock rails would deserve to wake up in the morning and find themselves on the ground.

I won't say they are all that exist but the only examples of roof tents I have seen are the ones that mount to roof racks that are hard mounted to the studs for the stock rails. It is still very possible that your point is a valid one Kirkynut.

More
16 Jun 2018 12:30 #193522 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Roof tent
In the pictures they're on the standard rails!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Daniel30
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Jun 2018 17:27 #193526 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Roof tent
Yeah, I don't understand how they are going to get away with it, can only think the people who tested it were wafer thin, I'd stand no chance :woohoo: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
17 Jun 2018 01:11 #193537 by zukebob
Good catch Kirkynut. For the Jimny, I have only seen the ones like the Frontrunner, ARB and Chinese copies.

I don't know what the liability laws are in that country but it sure seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds