BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Brake fluid capacity?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 May 2018 20:06 #192925 by Lambert
Hi all, I'm having a senior moment. How much brake fluid does it take for a complete flush and bleed, will 500ml do it or a litre?

Thanks in advance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2018 06:36 #192930 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Brake fluid capacity?
I went through just over a litre ( 2x500) with a flush and refill of an entirely empty system. Car had been laid up.

Used an old batch that had sat on my shelf for the flush and then finished off with some brand new.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
25 May 2018 07:25 - 25 May 2018 07:29 #192933 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Brake fluid capacity?
I have just performed brake fluid change and it took less than 1 l (approx 900 ml) of fluid. The flush was done with all bleed nipples opened and the fluid tank was periodically refilled with new brake fluid until new brake fluid started dripping out of all three bleed nipples. It was never allowed for the tank to get completely empty during the procedure (that would have introduced air into the system).

The nipples and the fluid tank were then sealed and no air purging was necessary. The brake pedal was not touched during the entire procedure.

I am not certain if this was technically a proper method of changing the fluid (after all, the old and the new brake fluid were in contact, and the tank was opened for about an hour, allowing the hydroscopic fluid to have contact with surrounding air). However avoiding the need to perform air purging was the primary requirement in my case so I did it with this method. It was slow to do but super simple.

I am also not certain if this method purged all the old fluid from the system?
Last edit: 25 May 2018 07:29 by Bosanek.

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 May 2018 09:41 #192935 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Brake fluid capacity?
Ok cheers. Nominally 2 bottles then. Thanks.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds