BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Which roof rack for Jimny?

• Niro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2018 08:21 #191851 by Niro
Which roof rack for Jimny? was created by Niro
Hello everybody,

I want to install stable roof racks on my Jimny, because lately I like to go kayaking and somehow have to transport it to the lake and back. These ones look stable: www.sortimo.co.uk/products/topsystem/ What do you think? Would you put that into your Jimnys?
Thank's for the Tipps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2018 09:29 - 18 Apr 2018 09:34 #191853 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?
if you need something stable you really need to get a roof rack that uses the original mounting points on the roof that the plastic roof bars are mounted to, maybe find someone around your area that can fabricate some brackets and bars i shouldn't think someone in the know how would take long making them up, i have a land rover roof rack with custom brackets and its solid.

Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Apr 2018 09:34 by Daniel30.

• mdog18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2018 10:05 #191856 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?
I would agree with Daniel, however, when I was looking for roof racks I was deterred by the prices and ended up going for this one I found on Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073HBFKD1/r...05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the lowest price I could find and after 3 months using it I have to say I have no complaints. Very solid, very reliable, easy to install because you dont have to damage your roof with screws or bolts :)

It comes with roof rails included so the price is really 2 for 1.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2018 13:33 - 18 Apr 2018 13:35 #191862 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?
i used the original studs that are left behind and a piece of rubber under the brackets so there is no damage, depends how much weight you need to carry Niro?

As mdog18 has mention that link is an easier solution and someone has tried and tested it :)
Last edit: 18 Apr 2018 13:35 by Daniel30.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2018 14:16 #191863 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?

mdog18 wrote: I would agree with Daniel, however, when I was looking for roof racks I was deterred by the prices and ended up going for this one I found on Amazon: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B073HBFKD1/r...05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was the lowest price I could find and after 3 months using it I have to say I have no complaints. Very solid, very reliable, easy to install because you dont have to damage your roof with screws or bolts :)

It comes with roof rails included so the price is really 2 for 1.

The Amazon page says that it comes with the roof basket and the roof bars, not the rails, so I just want to check that I'm reading it correctly...

Just for clarity, bars go across, and rails are in line with the car's direction of travel.

The reason I'm asking is that the stock Jimny rails are a known weak point, so if it comes with bars, these will still attach to the flimsy rails.

As mentioned by Daniel30, the most reliable way of doing things is to remove the stock rails altogether, and then get a rack that screws into the same fixing points that the rails were previously mounted to.

More
18 Apr 2018 14:25 #191864 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI got one of these -

• mdog18
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2018 15:35 #191868 by mdog18
Replied by mdog18 on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?
Yes sorry for the vagueness - the roof rack comes with bars not rails. In terms of attaching to the flimsy roof rails on the Jimny I've put about 70kg worth of equipment on the top of mine for 90 miles and had no problem.

• Venter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Apr 2018 17:50 #191875 by Venter
Replied by Venter on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?

mdog18 wrote: Yes sorry for the vagueness - the roof rack comes with bars not rails. In terms of attaching to the flimsy roof rails on the Jimny I've put about 70kg worth of equipment on the top of mine for 90 miles and had no problem.

I wouldn't rely too much on that measure of reliability. Much like metal fatigue there is also plastic fatigue, so you won't have a major problem at all until you very much do.

Best to rather look at something like what S200KYS posted, which mounts to the threaded mounting points. Much stronger, much less chance of killing other road users :P

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 Apr 2018 18:13 #191877 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?
The roof bars are rated for 35kg i think, even the rack would be close to that!

As Venter says, its an accident waiting to happen. If that accident does happen, would your insurance be valid with it over weight?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2018 20:55 #191958 by rayz_x
Replied by rayz_x on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?
I just bought one of these. www.rhinorack.co.uk/Vehicle_SUZUKI_Jimny_4154.aspx
Haven't fitted it yet. The parts seem really well made and finished.. You need to remove all the old rails, drill the roof and rivet bits on so I have been putting the job off.

More
21 Apr 2018 06:17 - 21 Apr 2018 06:20 #191968 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Which roof rack for Jimny?
The wiki article " Cargo space expansion and management " might be useful in this case.

I also advise the author of the topic you contribute to that article with your experience after you finish choosing and installing a suitable roof rack, and for the others who already clearly have the experience, just to "transfer" it over there.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2018 06:20 by Bosanek.

• NineCherries
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2018 21:03 #192180 by NineCherries
Replied by NineCherries on topic Re:Which roof rack for Jimny?
I can recommend the Jimny bits rack. I got lucky and picked one for sale local to me. Bolts onto the original rail mounts on the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds