BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Engine oil leak and hole in flywheel bell housing

• apayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2018 19:43 #191418 by apayne
Hi all, I'm very new to this Jimny community so please bare with me (3 days exactly!) and seem to have already stumbled across a couple of problems sadly. I purchased a 2001 Jimny with 78k on the clock this week from a car garage near me. When I got it home I looked underneath the car briefly and thought I spotted a bit of wet oil on the underside.

I jacked up the car to look closer and have come across two problems: a small hole in the flywheel bell-housing and an oil leak from somewhere else (I know that there isn't oil in the flywheel section so it's not leaking from there).

Firstly, is the hole in the bell-housing a problem and what's the best way to go about fixing this, do I get it welded or will it be fine left as it is? I have been advised by a friend who's a mechanic that it should be fine if left as it is even if going through puddles.

Secondly, any idea what might be causing the engine oil leak? There's oil coming down from the oil filter and seeping down one side of the oil sump and dripping from there by the looks of it. The oil filter was changed this week as part of a service and so not sure if when changed oil simply leaked from there?

Going to get back under the car tomorrow and clean up the oil and give it another couple of days to check if any fresh oil appears.

Any advice or suggestions regarding either problem would be much appreciated. Photos attached to give you an idea of the hole and the leak.

Cheers
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2018 21:21 - 07 Apr 2018 21:23 #191429 by Max Headroom
I can't help you on the hole in the bell housing, but could the oil seen running from the oil filter be simply some residual that was not cleaned off when the oil filter was replaced?

May I suggest you clean off any visible oil VERY thoroughly and get the area as dry as possible.
Check the oil filter is fully hand-tightened and run the car again.
If more oil appears then it could mean that the rubber seal on the filter was damaged on fitment or that the face that the seal mates against has been damaged (that can happen when people stick screwdrivers through an oil filter to remove it instead of using a suitable tool meant for the job).
Sometimes dirt can get between the seal and mating faces if it wasn't carefully cleaned with the filter removed - that could cause a leak too.

Check for any other areas where an oil leak might be coming from that is making it look as if its the filter - e.g. higher up

I'm sure others will come up with some ideas
Good luck!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 07 Apr 2018 21:23 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: apayne

More
07 Apr 2018 21:22 #191430 by kirkynut
Can you give us a photo of the hole. It could be where the clutch adjustment is and meant to be there. If so, there's a plastic cover for it which can fall out.

In respect of the oil, it sounds like whoever changed it couldn't be bothered to clean up after draining it or it is leaking from the filter. If oil re-appears, perhaps get a new filter. They're only about a fiver and pop it on, putting a little oil on the rubber seal so as to stop it tearing as you tighten it hand tight.

Maybe try nipping the current one up by hand a little tighter in the meantime.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
07 Apr 2018 21:26 - 07 Apr 2018 21:46 #191431 by Max Headroom
Yes, as Kirkynut says - if you replace the filter make sure you wet the rubber seal with clean oil before fitting it. Then tighten fully but only by hand

EDIT: Also make sure that there is no dirt on the face that the oil seal mates up against

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 07 Apr 2018 21:46 by Max Headroom.

• apayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Apr 2018 21:33 - 07 Apr 2018 21:41 #191434 by apayne

Thanks for your replies. I'll so as suggested and clean up the oil and give it a run to see if it re-appears.

Photo attached as requested!
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Apr 2018 21:41 by apayne.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Apr 2018 05:20 #191440 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. If you have only just bought this from a garage it's not up to you to set to and fix it. The supplier is obliged to rectify issues for the first 6 months under statute. It's a Suzuki after all, not a land rover, they're not supposed to leak anything.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Apr 2018 05:24 #191441 by Lambert
By all means clean it up and see if it persists, but if it does then the supplier needs to be given opportunity to rectify.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• apayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Apr 2018 11:22 #191445 by apayne
Update: looks to be all sorted!

I cleaned up the oil on the flywheel housing and the hole is actually meant to be there. It's purpose is so that you can manually turn the flywheel (if you ever change the timing belt/chain and need to get TDC etc).

Cleaned up the oil that seems to have come from the oil filter when changed and everything seems to be okay for now. If this changes I'll let you know!

Thanks again for your help.

More
08 Apr 2018 11:25 - 08 Apr 2018 11:26 #191446 by facade
That hole is supposed to be there!

Probably lets out any oil that leaks from the gearbox front seal.

If you are going into water that deep you will fill the axles and chassis with water.

I'd drive 50 extra miles rather than go through water deeper than the tyres, 2 hours driving is a lot less trouble than changing the kingpin bearings and the axle oil ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 08 Apr 2018 11:26 by facade.

More
08 Apr 2018 19:43 #191460 by kirkynut
I wish all problems were that easy to solve!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• apayne
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Apr 2018 07:58 #191478 by apayne

This is the flywheel hole once cleaned for anyone that's interested :)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds