BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Engine Oil grades

More
02 Apr 2018 13:25 - 02 Apr 2018 13:36 #191193 by grumyoldjoe
That time of year again to change my fluids.
Just checking wki here and halfauds and opie oils and my own paperwork and they all say to use 5w/30 engine oil.
Noticed in my garage part can of 10/40 which I used last year after taking notice of the Euro Parts web site .
Not had any issues this past year so hoping using the 10/40 has not had any affect long term??

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 13:36 by grumyoldjoe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2018 14:16 #191195 by jackonlyjack
The following user(s) said Thank You: grumyoldjoe

• Jimx5
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2018 20:52 - 02 Apr 2018 20:56 #191209 by Jimx5
Replied by Jimx5 on topic Engine Oil grades
I always use 10w/40 in three cars and a van.
This may help explain.

Mazda MX5, Toyota Corolla, Nissan Primaster, Suzuki Jimny.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 20:56 by Jimx5.

More
02 Apr 2018 21:42 #191210 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Engine Oil grades
The grade of oil you should use isn't set in stone. It varies depending on ambient temperature, and there are several different grades that are all equally suitable for our climate in the UK. Mine is currently running a blend of 15w40 mineral, 10w40 semi synth and 5w30 synth because I had a few part full cans that needed emptying.

More
02 Apr 2018 22:10 #191215 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Engine Oil grades

Jimx5 wrote: I always use 10w/40 in three cars and a van.
This may help explain....

Jim that's a really good explanation to those that didn't know.. I always used to remember it as if reading from left to right - "you get in the car and start the cold engine which then becomes hot" - but remembering W for 'winter' is just as simple if not even more intuitive.

I've always favoured fully synthetic oil as its slippery stuff and tends to stay in grade well - but is there any reason you should NOT use fully synthetic in the Jimny engine?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
03 Apr 2018 08:23 #191218 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Engine Oil grades

Max Headroom wrote: I've always favoured fully synthetic oil as its slippery stuff and tends to stay in grade well - but is there any reason you should NOT use fully synthetic in the Jimny engine?

Price is the only reason. It is over-spec, but that certainly won't cause any problems. Equally there are no advantages to using it either. I've never heard of anyone having any issues with the oily bits of the engine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grumyoldjoe, Max Headroom

More
03 Apr 2018 08:40 #191219 by Max Headroom
Thanks Busta.
The reason I started using synthetic was because my cousin rallied several cars and managed to continue for an amazing distance with a split sump. He said he'd noticed the drop in oil pressure but believed it was a broken gauge. Only when he saw the oil temp go off the scale some time later did he realise the situation, and stopped. There was damage to the engine but it was in his words, it was minimal, and I was very impressed by this.

I've heard that older cars (classics particularly) can tend to leak synthetic oil - as it's thinner presumably.. I did use it in my '79 Midget back in the late 80s without any noticeable leaks at all, but I now prefer to use the classic oils in that car.

More
03 Apr 2018 09:39 - 03 Apr 2018 09:40 #191220 by grumyoldjoe
Replied by grumyoldjoe on topic Engine Oil grades
Whilst on subject of oil, what are people putting in the g/box and transfer box ? and where from ? any deals out there that people have noticed ?
TIA

Wine improves with age.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 09:40 by grumyoldjoe.

More
03 Apr 2018 09:51 - 03 Apr 2018 10:11 #191221 by Max Headroom
Joe, I'm pretty certain there was a thread here that covered gearbox oil only the other day, only I cant see it now :unsure: - I think it was mentioned there about not putting additives or synthetic oils in G'boxes and axles due to it eating 'yellow metals' such as bronze bushes.
I know that to be true as it's well known and understood in the vintage car world,

Last edit: 03 Apr 2018 10:11 by Max Headroom.

• Stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 10:00 #191222 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic Engine Oil grades
Just got some from Halfords. GL4 75/90 £10 litre :pinch: for my transfer box.

More
03 Apr 2018 10:44 #191223 by grumyoldjoe
Replied by grumyoldjoe on topic Engine Oil grades

Stumpjumper wrote: Just got some from Halfords. GL4 75/90 £10 litre :pinch: for my transfer box.

Did you buy 2 ? considering the box holds 1.3ltres ?

Wine improves with age.

• Stumpjumper
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2018 13:05 #191225 by Stumpjumper
Replied by Stumpjumper on topic Engine Oil grades
Thanks,:whistle:
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds