BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

driving in 4wd Hi

More
22 Nov 2010 22:11 #6329 by JonathonMarshall
With the onset of snow seeming immenient I was wondering at what stage transmission windup would be an issue when running in High Ratio 4wd. Can I use it more of a preventative measure rather than one i start losing traction however slight?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4wheelers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Nov 2010 22:22 #6330 by 4wheelers
Replied by 4wheelers on topic Re: driving in 4wd Hi
Not a good idea to use 4wd on tarmac unless the tarmac is actualy covered in slippery snow/ice.

More
22 Nov 2010 22:33 - 22 Nov 2010 22:34 #6331 by JonathonMarshall
I did think as much, as will diff lock on LR's. I'm just thinking of how tail happy a Rwd jimny is going to be! Plenty weight in the back'd be a plan i think!....then i notice your pic, what is it like on snow and ice mate? Both in 2 and 4
Last edit: 22 Nov 2010 22:34 by JonathonMarshall.

• 4wheelers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2010 00:12 #6332 by 4wheelers
Replied by 4wheelers on topic Re: driving in 4wd Hi
Can be quite easy to spin on ice in 2wd but if you play it safe and drive to the conditions it is fine. My rule of thumb is once I start to slide apply 4x4 and then keep on taking things easy. you will have twice as much grip as regular cars in forward motion. The thing is though pulling up is the same as any other car. So lots of space in front is still a good idea.

• adamjimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2010 06:33 #6333 by adamjimny
Replied by adamjimny on topic Re: driving in 4wd Hi

4wheelers wrote: Can be quite easy to spin on ice in 2wd but if you play it safe and drive to the conditions it is fine. My rule of thumb is once I start to slide apply 4x4 and then keep on taking things easy. you will have twice as much grip as regular cars in forward motion. The thing is though pulling up is the same as any other car. So lots of space in front is still a good idea.

exactly what i do but some idiot think 4x4's are amazing and dont slide ie doing silly speeds still then wonder why they crash. keep enough room in front

More
23 Nov 2010 08:41 #6335 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: driving in 4wd Hi
Where the snow is patchy i drive with care in 2wd, most of the roads i drove on last year were entirely snow covered though so 4 high was fine. The dual carriageways were untouched in the outside lane so i knocked into 4hi and had a lane to myself. It drove better in a good layer of snow in 4wd to be honest than on the patchy bits in 2wd. Once it froze i was in 4lo on some roads where you were reduced to a crawl, the engine braking was useful.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

• Reloaded
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Nov 2010 08:59 #6336 by Reloaded
Replied by Reloaded on topic Re: driving in 4wd Hi

adamjimny wrote:

4wheelers wrote: Can be quite easy to spin on ice in 2wd but if you play it safe and drive to the conditions it is fine. My rule of thumb is once I start to slide apply 4x4 and then keep on taking things easy. you will have twice as much grip as regular cars in forward motion. The thing is though pulling up is the same as any other car. So lots of space in front is still a good idea.

exactly what i do but some idiot think 4x4's are amazing and dont slide ie doing silly speeds still then wonder why they crash. keep enough room in front

Yeah, quite right! Being in a 4wd vehicle doesn't make you invincible, sure you'll fair better than a 2wd car, but hard-packed snow and ice are a great leveller. When those big nobbly tyres are unable to dig in you'll soon know about it :)

More
23 Nov 2010 09:25 #6337 by mcjimny
Replied by mcjimny on topic Re: driving in 4wd Hi

Mick C wrote:

adamjimny wrote:

Yeah, quite right! Being in a 4wd vehicle doesn't make you invincible, sure you'll fair better than a 2wd car, but hard-packed snow and ice are a great leveller. When those big nobbly tyres are unable to dig in you'll soon know about it :)

Exactly, doesn't matter how many wheels are driven once its frozen.

As countless Rangie sport/x trail/shogun etc, etc... drivers found out round here! I overheard 2 guys with rangie sports say" i had to press that LO button, dunno what it does, must limit the engine power or something"

Thats not a generalisation towards rangie sport drivers - martin :blush:

We had someone come in the pub saying a car had gone off the road, i went up to see if we could do anything, i was hugging the car to stand up! I moved about 2foot in the jimny touched the brakes and it just slid on the camber of the road, nothing would stop it.

Plenty of people come unstuck round here, primarily from being poorly prepared and not taking their time-if most people left half hour earlier and took their time they'd get on better.

My mate wrote off his ranger on an icy bend BEFORE the snow hit, put it on its roof after losing the tail and it dragging him into the ditch.

Black Jimny's don't get stuck!

More
23 Nov 2010 10:32 - 23 Nov 2010 10:33 #6338 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re: driving in 4wd Hi

mcjimny wrote: As countless Rangie sport/x trail/shogun etc, etc... drivers found out round here! I overheard 2 guys with rangie sports say" i had to press that LO button, dunno what it does, must limit the engine power or something"

Thats not a generalisation towards rangie sport drivers - martin :blush:

You would have laughed at me last year. My house is on a shared drive with 4 other houses. Mine is the first house on a downward sloping drive. Therefore I have to come into the drive and then turn across the sloping drive to access my house.

In all the snow last year I was happily driving in and out of my drive whilst my neighbours 2WD cars were stuck at the bottom of the slope. Until one day when instead of driving in and keeping a bit of forward momentum going I (for some unknown reason) stopped at the drive entrance to look at where I was going to go. Once I stopped the RRS it became 3 tonnes of toboggan. It went sideways down the drive into the bushes at the bottom, very embarrassing in front of my 2WD neighbours and a neighbour with another RRS who had also happily been driving the slope.

So out of the garage came the Jimny and I had to winch my own Range Rover up the drive!. Not only that but it was sideways on so for part of the winch I had to pull the 3 tonnes sideways up-hill. Its a sign of how slippery it was that the small Jimny could pull this without problem (I chained it to a handy lampost).

The only compensation was that my neighbout with the RRS did the same thing a few days later. He had been going up and down the drive ok until one day he stopped to look at his route, at that point it became 3 tonnes of toboggan and off it went down the slope. I had to winch him out as well.

My rule of thumb for 4WD in icy conditions(and I know its only approximate before the 4WD enthusiasts complain) is as follows:
                   2WD     4WD
Braking wheels -    4       4 = Both brake as well as each other
Steering wheels -   2       2 = Both steer as well as each other
Driven wheels -     2       4 = 4WD can accelerate into trouble quicker than 2WD!

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 23 Nov 2010 10:33 by mlines.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds