BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wheel Options?

• Caelite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Mar 2018 23:53 #190546 by Caelite
Wheel Options? was created by Caelite
Hey Folks

Toying with wheels, I've got a 2nd gen VVT Jimny (with the fat bumper), currently at stock height (or about 20mm lower after 110k miles of suspension sag) on stock tyres. Planning on popping a 2" lift on sometime before the summer, along with that set of 215/75r15 AT tyres. Not sure what I want to do with wheels.

Currently I have the stock 2nd get 5 spoke alloys, I am not a massive fan of them but they aren't awful. Would love to go a bit 'wider' than stock but as a general rule I have a distrust of wheel spacers, having seen and heard off far to many spacered Land Rovers shedding their wheels with various consequence, don't want to go the full 15x7 ET30 sticky outy look that is popular (and will likely foul on my bumper), but do like the look when the wheels are nearer to flush with the arches.

So I have been looking at what is available, have come to 3 options

1. Keep stock 5 spokes, leave as-is with the new tyres
+Simple, I already have the wheels
+Stock weight, don't need to worry about killing my economy/acceleration more than the 215s will
+OEM, one less thing to declare on insurance
-Not a fan of the look of them
-Would likely want to fit a ~25mm spacer to achieve the look I wanted

2. Pick up a set of gen 1 Jimny steel wheels
+I like the look of these, especially when powdercoated black (steel wheels are exceptionally easy to refurb/paint yourself)
+Likely near enough to make no difference to the weight of the Jimny alloys
+OEM same as above
-Same above with the spacer

3. Pick up a set of 15x7 ET0 or ET-15 modulars from Jimnybits
+As above, look good
+No need for a spacer, the 15x7 ET0 by default has ~15mm more poke than a stock jimny wheel (15x6 ET5 right?)
-Based on my experience with land rover steel modulars, I imagine they are REALLY heavy, would like to be told otherwise.

So those are my options, I am tending towards option 2 as it seems to be the best middle ground, a light set of OEM quality steels which will likely be very cheap. Does anybody know of a reputable ~15-25mm spacer in Jimny sizes? Not sure if the £50/corner sets on JimnyBits are worth it, they cost more than a set of wheels. Are there any other wheel options I've not thought about?

Thanks
CAElite

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2018 00:13 #190548 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Wheel Options?

Caelite wrote: Hey Folks
3. Pick up a set of 15x7 ET0 or ET-15 modulars from Jimnybits
Thanks
CAElite

Go for the #3 option. Maybe find some Vitara wheels or such. I would say if you are not going mountain climbing then get alloy.
I used Vitara wheels on mine and went to 225s with no lift needed.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Eskimo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2018 00:31 #190549 by Eskimo
Replied by Eskimo on topic Wheel Options?
I'm running the ET0 8spokes in black on mine. Got them from www.4x4tyres.co.uk/ great service and seem to be a good quality wheel, although probably the same one from wherever you buy them from :lol: :lol:

Also running 215/75 r15 with no bother and no lift yet - Jimny currently in the garage with the lift kit being fitted ready for next weekend hopefully.

The tyres are pretty much level with the arches so shouldn't be an issue come MOT time :whistle: , no rubbing even at full flex. not the best angle but this is what they look like on mine if it helps.

Attachments:

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2018 08:54 #190555 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Wheel Options?
I do like the wider look but have done this on other 4x4's and the downside is the car getting covered with mud. Also when its hot so you have the windows open the inside gets covered too. I have kept the Jim standard width but with 215/75/15 tires and like the compromise. :)

Attachments:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Mar 2018 09:02 #190557 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Wheel Options?
I like the look of the original wheels painted black, I have never had an issue with my mot though with - 30mods and 215/75/15

More
18 Mar 2018 09:28 #190559 by helijohn
I have never had any problems with spray of any sort even when I had tyres where the tread was barely covered by the arches. Then again I never went looking for mud.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caelite

More
18 Mar 2018 10:13 #190560 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Wheel Options?
I originally did option 3 and they looked cool with stock size ATs, but rubbed on the arches when I went to 215/75s (with a 2" lift).

I then switched to option 2 and honestly I think they look just as good, but are lighter and don't scrub. I got old stock steels for free but spent a bit getting them professionally refurbished and painted black. The extra width of the 215s makes them appear almost as wide as when I had 7.5" wide wheels, and the paint quality is better.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1066Boy, Caelite

More
18 Mar 2018 10:42 #190562 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Wheel Options?
This isn't a great comparison, but on the left is 7.5" wide wheels with stock size ATs and on the right is the painted stock wheels with 215/75s. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good picture with the wide wheels and 215s.

The 7.5" wheels definitely look a bit wider, but I personally don't think the stocks look too narrow/need spacers. Hopefully that helps a bit.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Caelite

More
18 Mar 2018 11:14 #190563 by helijohn
Something I tend to consider is that I like plenty of sidewall on my tyres so that the rubber contacts the kerb before the alloy. With a wider rim then it is important for me to get a really wider tyre and this can be too wide for the arches/clearances. On a road going car (not 4x4) I would prefer less bulging sidewall and a wider rim to give a more stable and steady base to the tyre to reduce flexing but on a fourbie it is the other way round. That is why this time I stuck to the stock (narrower) rim with a maxed out wide and tall tyre on my Junior.

I did have 16" rims on this at one time.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds