BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

None Charging Jimny

More
15 Mar 2018 19:05 #190454 by Grasshopper
Hi All

Looking for some ideas on a none charging issue on a M13A engine.

In ignition position two the battery charge light is on, once the engine is running the light goes out and remains so.. .However the vehicle if left to normal on road running it will eventually flatten the battery. Using a multimeter a fully charged battery voltage is indicated, however this does not increase/change when RPM is increased ( I would be typically looking for 14.1 plus volts ).

I have fitted a new alternator and since the battery was eight years old I have also fitted a new battery, still no charging the battery remains at basic voltage I have obviously looked for bad connections etc but nothing visible.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Dave

The only benefit of age is experience.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2018 19:08 #190456 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic None Charging Jimny

Grasshopper wrote: Hi All

Looking for some ideas on a none charging issue on a M13A engine.

In ignition position two the battery charge light is on, once the engine is running the light goes out and remains so.. .However the vehicle if left to normal on road running it will eventually flatten the battery. Using a multimeter a fully charged battery voltage is indicated, however this does not increase/change when RPM is increased ( I would be typically looking for 14.1 plus volts ).

I have fitted a new alternator and since the battery was eight years old I have also fitted a new battery, still no charging the battery remains at basic voltage I have obviously looked for bad connections etc but nothing visible.

Any ideas would be much appreciated

Dave

Just a quick one - a thought that is coming from personal and humiliating experience -. Is the alternator belt tight enough.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Mar 2018 19:43 #190457 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic None Charging Jimny
And are all the earth points clean of corrosion and secure?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Mar 2018 19:52 - 15 Mar 2018 19:56 #190459 by Jezz
Replied by Jezz on topic None Charging Jimny
Have you checked the fuse?.

It's been fettled just a tad.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2018 19:56 by Jezz.

More
15 Mar 2018 20:06 #190461 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic None Charging Jimny
I fit a voltmeter to all my motors because a good few times I have had almost precisely what the OP describes. I even had a mechanic check the system over and he said a naff alternator which I took to an alternator man. He looked at it and said right off "I guarantee I know what this is and it won't be the alternator". He tested it thoroughly however and said it was working perfectly. Look for a shiny pulley, a slipping belt polishes it nicely.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
16 Mar 2018 15:52 #190503 by Grasshopper
Replied by Grasshopper on topic None Charging Jimny
Thanks all for your suggestions so far, most of them I have all ready tried however its always worth going over them again.

The one that has got me going a bit is Jazz's suggestion of "checking the fuse". I assume you mean the 80 amp fuse hidden away under the engine bay fuse box.which looks a less than easy to get at. Surely if that's blown there will be no electrical power throughout the vehicle.

That said I read on another forum somebody referred to the fact that if it had failed the alternator won't charge the battery but he does not say the whole system is dead. Suppose I will have to have a dig under that can of wiring/worms.

More
16 Mar 2018 16:12 #190504 by facade
Replied by facade on topic None Charging Jimny

Grasshopper wrote: The one that has got me going a bit is Jazz's suggestion of "checking the fuse". I assume you mean the 80 amp fuse hidden away under the engine bay fuse box.which looks a less than easy to get at. Surely if that's blown there will be no electrical power throughout the vehicle.

You are correct, there shouldn't be, the feed to the vehicle spurs off on the alternator side of the fuse.

The B terminal of the alternator goes to that fuse via a white wire.

I'd check the voltage on the B terminal (the ring that takes the thick white wire) of the alternator is battery voltage when switched off, and around 14V when the engine is running. If the warning light comes on and goes off when it is running it ought to charge.

(The ancient electrical system on mine is a bit flaky, I have corroded connections somewhere as the voltage at the cigarette lighter goes up and down when I turn things on and off and the headlights are a bit dim, but there is a solid 14V at the battery when it is running- and the wheels still go round so it is fine.....)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
16 Mar 2018 19:41 #190518 by Jezz

More
17 Mar 2018 11:35 #190533 by Grasshopper
Thanks for your continued support guys.

Will check voltages at alternator (bearing in mind I have fitted a new one) and that wiring diagram will be very helpful.

I won't mind but here in North Wales we have plenty of hills, its just starting to snow again and my favorite little 4 x 4 beast is not well. So I have to use my great lumbering old Volvo which is great on long haul stuff but like a beached whale in snow. LOL

More
17 Mar 2018 19:21 #190543 by facade
Replied by facade on topic None Charging Jimny
Remembering how hard it is to get at, I'd likely just swap that white wire from the alternator B terminal to the fuse for a new one, I think that one or other end of it has a dirty/broken connection.

If you attach a flying wire to that B terminal (Don't let it touch earth, or you will blow that 80A fuse!!) there should be close to zero volts between that B terminal and the battery positive with the engine running, I'm betting you have around 2 volts, the difference between the charging voltage 14.something and the battery 12.5 or so.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
19 Mar 2018 10:02 - 19 Mar 2018 10:05 #190594 by Grasshopper
Thank you facade for your continued help.

Due to a serious family issue I am having to put resolving my sick Jimny problem to one side and use Agnetha ( named after the lass in Abba ) the big Volvo.

I will try all the suggestions and report progress ASAP, it accrued to me what about a failed earth strap from engine to main earth point on body/chassis, or does the alternator have its own earth line wire ? I am old enough to remember when vehicles had a proper chunky flexible strap from the engine to chassis..

Last edit: 19 Mar 2018 10:05 by Grasshopper.

More
07 Apr 2018 16:07 - 07 Apr 2018 16:14 #191413 by Grasshopper
Hi All, now back on the case and very embarrassed but man enough to admit it.

Had done all my own checks plus some good suggestions from the forum. So I went over it all again, voltage output from alternator, fuses, earths, connections and continuity etc. I was then considering was their some heavy draw that was only present when the key was in the run position and the alternator could not overcome it to restore battery level.

The first forum response I had was from helijohn were he suggested alternator drive belt tension, I had fitted a new belt within last twelve months ( just routine maintenance) and it was my first check point when this problem started , I had also changed alternators just in case there was an intermittent fault, always putting on a sensible belt tension, so surly this could not be the issue, besides the alternator was showing 14.4 volts when on test !

Really at a point of desperation I dragged off the new' sh drive belt and fitted a new one with the same level of tension, on start up immediately 14.3 volts at the battery ! .Inspecting the removed 'V' belt I found that it was stretchy, that certainly was not obvious when fitting it ( lord knows as a time served fitter I have fitted enough accessory drive belts ), I can only assume once the alternator load came on it reacted.
under loan.

So thanks very much to all who contributed particularly facade, jezz and helijohn

Lesson to be learn for me is go back to the obvious and don't be surprised by the unusual.

Dave

Last edit: 07 Apr 2018 16:14 by Grasshopper. Reason: Miss spelling

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds