BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Running spareless

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Mar 2018 08:35 #190434 by Lambert
Running spareless was created by Lambert
Given that the main of my driving is quite local is not having a spare wheel a good idea? Or is it asking for bother?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2018 08:50 #190435 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Running spareless
Lots of new cars run spare less now just with an inflation repair kit, there are lots of temporary fixes for tyres out there now I have used a few on my trike when I had it. The last one I used was a hard plastic screw in type when I had a flat on my Ford galaxy got me to a garage and held up over night :)

• Lambert
    Registered
More
15 Mar 2018 09:57 #190437 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Running spareless
There is the practicalities yes. I will have a look at some pictures of back doors without the carrier and see what the aesthetic impact is too. Cheers.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2018 18:21 #190451 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Running spareless
I don't like the idea of running without a spare but as I found to my cost in a recent competition, it has a down side.
I dropped into a small stream and hit the spare on the bank on the way in. It has bent the rear door, leaks at the top if
it rains hard and the bottom don't touch the door switch so the light stays on. :(

More
15 Mar 2018 19:05 #190455 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Running spareless

1066Boy wrote: I don't like the idea of running without a spare but as I found to my cost in a recent competition, it has a down side.
I dropped into a small stream and hit the spare on the bank on the way in. It has bent the rear door, leaks at the top if
it rains hard and the bottom don't touch the door switch so the light stays on. :(

My Celerio came with a poxy repair kit so I got a wheel and tyre (new) at a fraction of the price wanted by Suzuki from an online auction site. They do it to keep weight down and to keep costs down but I found the hole where the spare was supposed to be added to noise amplificatiion. Even though I am a lot older and thus have a yellow get you home card in my wallet I would never be without a spare - ever. This comes from experiences over the years. In some cases I have damaged a road wheel and put the spare on using the damaged one as a spare.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, 1066Boy

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2018 20:28 #190462 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic Running spareless
I had to buy a spacesaver for the Civic. I drove to southern France last week and didn't fancy it without a spare. Honda wanted £180 for a steel wheel and a skinny tire. What a con. :( ebay to the rescue.

• Herzog
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2018 22:54 - 15 Mar 2018 23:04 #190469 by Herzog
Replied by Herzog on topic Running spareless
I suppose it depends on what tyres you are running.
Also the good thing about the Jimny and most 4x4 is mounting a spare wheel doesn't take up any space because its outside the car.
Personally I thing Jimnys look better with a spare tyre mounted on the back.

I used to have a Clio with no spare tyre but had run flat tyres that could do 40ish miles on a flat, so again just depends on the tyres you're running.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2018 23:04 by Herzog.

More
16 Mar 2018 01:02 #190480 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Running spareless
My opinion would be a combination of the previous posts. When I am off-road I almost always take the spare off and leave it at the base camp. My decision making process is fairly simple: If I can walk out or have some method of rescue, I leave it off. If I don't have a reasonable means of rescue, I never leave it off.

Not my Jimny but this is how it looks:

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Mar 2018 05:01 #190485 by Lambert
Hmmm. It's not the cleanest of back door shapes, less obvious in black I guess but still.... Hmmm. Cheers all.

More
16 Mar 2018 07:12 #190487 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Running spareless

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Mar 2018 11:58 #190499 by Lambert
That's best practice I admit, but in the real world a 5 wheel rotation is something of a moot point because the Jimny is 2wd on all occasions when the difference between the wear rates of similar size tyres would cause a problem and it's able to slip off road in 4x4. Meaning that so long as you have the either new or worn spare on the front undriven axle it can't do any significant damage to the car. Obviously different sizes of tyres between the road wheels and spare creates all kinds of problems. But generally speaking being spareless is a matter of how optimistic or brave one is about being able to deal with a puncture.

More
16 Mar 2018 18:20 #190509 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Running spareless

Bosanek wrote: You might want to consider this first:

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...wheel_and_tyre_usage

I have had a few vehicles where it was recommended the tyres need to be fairly much of the same wear being permanent 4x4 (and they were a pain) so replacing a blowout with an unused tyre was not a good idea.but generally I don't worry about it and expect to wear all four out and replace all four in one go but with my low annual mileage that typically takes years.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds