BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

First things to do to the new Jimny...

• MarkH
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2018 19:48 #190183 by MarkH
Hello!
In need of a new car that my half mile bumpy lane won't eat the suspension of, I got given an automatic Jimny a couple of weeks ago. The auto was composed mostly of rust and turned out to have a cracked head and it's been passed on. But I liked the simplicity and character of the car so much I went out and bought an '03, 60k, well looked-after manual.

What I'd really appreciate is some pointers/opinion on what I should do to the Jimny first. No fancy mods as such, just sensible stuff to look after it and make it better without breaking the bank. I'm planning on a clean and waxoil of the underside. Also was considering spacers but I assumed they'd improve handling and read the contrary somewhere... Better tyres? Which are good? All info appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2018 20:10 #190186 by helijohn

MarkH wrote: Hello!What I'd really appreciate is some pointers/opinion on what I should do to the Jimny first.

I'd just drive it and enjoy the smile my face. You'll soon get to discover what it needs. Personally I always seem to go for the wheels and tyres and seat adjusters for more leg room from the get go.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
09 Mar 2018 20:59 #190192 by robs5230
If it were me, I'd change diff, transfer box and gearbox oils. Unless its also had a very recent service (proven), I'd also drop the engine oil, change the oil filter and air filter. Spark plugs and HT leads too.
Check the known rust areas. The panel around the headlights, jack well in the boot and the whole of the boot floor.
Under the car, have a good look round for any obvious leaks. Check CV and propshaft gaitors for splits, tears, or any gaiters that have come off their fixing point.

Have a good think about what you want the Jimny for before you start modifying anything on it. Even small things like fitting all terrain tyres have an impact on handling and fuel economy.

standard jimny - for now

More
09 Mar 2018 23:18 #190199 by Busta
If it does what you need then best leave it how it is! All modifications are a compromise one way or another.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Mar 2018 04:56 #190205 by Lambert
If you are just pottering up and down a rough but passable track and then on tarmac the only thing of any value worth doing to a Jimny would be a set of good quality 205.70r15 tyres in a road pattern. Worn, old or cheap tyres are something of a false economy, tyres are the only thing that touch the road and keep you out of trouble. In my opinion. After that as has been mentioned above maintenance is the next best thing to spend more money on.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: lorenzo-x

• MarkH
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2018 09:59 #190222 by MarkH
Replied by MarkH on topic First things to do to the new Jimny...
Thanks!
I'll change all the oils, that makes sense. And do a top to bottom corrosion check and treat. The tyres are good so I'll leave that for now. There's a wobble at about 45mph that reading here tells me it's likely the kingpin bearing - looks an easy fix.

More
10 Mar 2018 10:50 #190224 by robs5230

MarkH wrote: Thanks!
I'll change all the oils, that makes sense. And do a top to bottom corrosion check and treat. The tyres are good so I'll leave that for now. There's a wobble at about 45mph that reading here tells me it's likely the kingpin bearing - looks an easy fix.

I'd eliminate easier fixes before tackling a kingpin bearing.
Have a look round the front wheels to see if there are any missing balance weights. Anything suspect, get the front wheels balanced. Remove the front wheels and make sure all wheel and hub mating surfaces are flat with no crud stuck on them. Sometimes thats ignored by tyre fitters and it can cause wobble.
If you do the kingpin bearings, do it before refilling the diff with new oil.

standard jimny - for now

• rayz_x
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2018 18:47 #190511 by rayz_x
Replied by rayz_x on topic First things to do to the new Jimny...
A new horn is a good idea. Also make sure you can get the spare off the back before you really need to.
Ray

• MarkH
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2018 19:05 #190513 by MarkH
The vibration occurs specifically at 45mph which I understand is classic bearing wobble speed. But you're right, it could be something simpler. I'm going to take a day to mess about with the Jimny soon - remove back seats, check stuff - and I'll have a good look. I'm preoccupied with a 1970s scrambler engine rebuild at the moment... Idiosyncratic vehicles must be my thing.

• MarkH
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2018 19:07 #190514 by MarkH
New horn? I'd like something really loud... Horns are under used in the UK I reckon.

More
16 Mar 2018 19:50 #190520 by helijohn

MarkH wrote: New horn? I'd like something really loud... Horns are under used in the UK I reckon.

You'd like my train horns but there is no real room in a Jimny for the horns, compressor and tank.;)

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
17 Mar 2018 10:09 #190532 by Bosanek
Did you notice the Wiki section on this web site? Look at the top site menu "Jimny information (wiki)".

You will find much potentially interesting material there ... especially regarding modifications - from small "comfort" ones (like adding rear speakers) to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle style ones.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds