BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Spring Spacer Help

More
08 Mar 2018 20:08 #190147 by furo
Spring Spacer Help was created by furo
Hi folks,

I installed two 15mm spring spacers today to mitigate a case of Jimny-lean. I put the front one under the spring but before doing the rear one I checked online and it seems they are meant to go at the top of the spring, so that's what I did. The front one seems very secure and there were no issues on a brief test run. Do I need to change the front spacer so that it is on top of the spring or is it fine to leave it on the bottom?

Many thanks

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2018 20:15 #190148 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Spring Spacer Help
I have never used one but i would think at the bottom it could suffer premature wear do to movement being greater at the axle end
I would move it to the top

More
08 Mar 2018 20:24 #190151 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Spring Spacer Help

They are cut and shaped to fit the top. They will move around and even fall out from the bottom

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
08 Mar 2018 21:40 - 08 Mar 2018 21:46 #190152 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Spring Spacer Help
I thought it was just the front right hand corner to cure the lean ? Why have you put one on the rear ? If you looked at the vehicle before fitting the spacers, the front right and corner would be down and the rear left hand corner be up. The rear right side may have looked slightly down but would pick up when the front right hand corner is spaced.
Have a read of this. I did one 6 years or so ago.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/7-jimny...39879-the-jimny-lean

standard jimny - for now
Last edit: 08 Mar 2018 21:46 by robs5230.

More
08 Mar 2018 22:10 #190153 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Spring Spacer Help
What Robs says. The lean is a diagonal thing, you won't need one on the rear.

More
08 Mar 2018 22:22 #190154 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Spring Spacer Help
Thanks for the help guys, I've sorted the front spacer now.

Rob/Busta - Right, thanks I didnt realise that. It's done now - I'll check distances between arch and tyres tomorrow and if they are close I'll leave it in.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)

More
09 Mar 2018 09:20 #190163 by furo
Hi folks,

So I checked the distances between tyres and arches this morning and it is still leaning to the drivers side by 1cm front and rear (although you can't tell by looking - it looks much better). So I will leave the rear spacer in.

On my way into work this morning there was a dull pinging sound coming from the drivers side (front and rear) when going over speedbumps/potholes, which must be coming from the spacers. Is this common or is it something to be worried about?

More
09 Mar 2018 20:48 #190191 by robs5230
Replied by robs5230 on topic Spring Spacer Help

furo wrote: Hi folks,

So I checked the distances between tyres and arches this morning and it is still leaning to the drivers side by 1cm front and rear (although you can't tell by looking - it looks much better). So I will leave the rear spacer in.

On my way into work this morning there was a dull pinging sound coming from the drivers side (front and rear) when going over speedbumps/potholes, which must be coming from the spacers. Is this common or is it something to be worried about?

Honestly I'd remove the spacer on the rear. Its doing no good there. The noise I guess is the suspension creaking as its working against itself. Get both spacers on the top of the front right hand spring where they need to be. Everything will be just as intended then. Replacements spring are the same length at the back and at the front the drivers side one is longer than the passenger one to eliminate lean.
As said before, the lean is diagonal rear left hand side to front right.

standard jimny - for now

More
09 Mar 2018 21:14 #190193 by furo
Ok thanks, I'll take that rear spacer out.

In terms of the sound it was a very distinctive twanging noise that clearly came from the front axle when the front wheels hit the speedbump and the rear axle when the rear wheels hit. Hopefully taking the rear spacer out will help.

More
09 Mar 2018 23:16 #190198 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Spring Spacer Help
When you put the springs back in did you make sure they bottom coil was orientated correctly in the seat?

More
09 Mar 2018 23:19 #190200 by furo
How do you know if it is correctly orientated? The lift kit instructions didn't mention that.

More
10 Mar 2018 05:06 #190206 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Spring Spacer Help
The spacer should have a cut surface shaped to take the end of the spring and to stop the spring rotating

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds