BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Off Road conversion, info required for a farmer

• billy the biff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2018 16:36 #190085 by billy the biff
Off Road conversion, info required for a farmer was created by billy the biff
Hello Everybody,
I'm not a Jimmy owner, but I'm trying to help a friend of mine, as he has no access to the internet.
His plan is to buy and raise up a Jimny, fit larger tyres to use off road, he's a farmer, so the Jimny will be used for carting grain, equipment across some boggy and rough terrain.

The info he has asked for, is a raise up possible without body work alterations, will he need to replace all suspension and the largest off road tyres he could fit and would there be any other must do mods. Also and I think this will be quite important, what would be a rough cost of all these mods.
It won't travel far on the road, but it will need to travel short distances on tarmac

Thanks for any info you lads can give Alan

He will be most grateful

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2018 16:56 #190088 by jackonlyjack
This is like how longs a piece of string kind of question
More information needed
What year jimmy he's looking at ?
And what size tyres he's wanting ?
Knowing tyre size will give us more understanding on lift kit needed

Jack

More
07 Mar 2018 18:55 - 07 Mar 2018 19:02 #190092 by furo
I'm really no expert at all, but the cheap options are:

1) Go up two tyre sizes to 215/75s without touching anything else - cost of tyres
2) 215/75s with a spacer lift - £150 plus cost of tyres
3) 215/75s with a 2" suspension lift - £320 plus cost of tyres

To fit bigger tyres than 215/75 I believe you need a 3" or 4" lift kit and these are considerably more expensive because you need to get replacement radius arms, brake lines, panhard rods and prop spacers (£1000 mark). Depending on what tyres he wants to fit he may also need to chop the arches. Body lifts are another option and I have no experience at all with these, but they seem like a bit of a hassle.

Check out this thread for in-depth discussion on tyre sizes: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum?view=topic&catid=7&id=51978

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Last edit: 07 Mar 2018 19:02 by furo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billy the biff

• Caelite
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2018 19:13 #190094 by Caelite
Also to be considered,the most important trait of the Jimny in the situation you describe for your friends is its low range capability. Especially when laden you want to be able to just trundle along at a fast idle without melting the clutch.

The bigger the tyre the higher the gear ratios get, making it less effective offroad, particularly with a trailer.

Why does he want big tyres out of curiosity? Does he have a genuine need for floatation for driving over seeded rows? If not close to stock sizes (195/80, 205/75, 215/75 etc) will likely to be the most effective for a proper working vehicle. The reason so many fit larger is for pay and plays, but P&P tracks are somewhat different from the real world, as there tends to be a bit of an arms race as to who can fit the biggest tyres for the most axle clearance, and as such a bunch of trucks rolling up and down with 35+" tyres ruin the trail for anyone with smaller.

• billy the biff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2018 23:27 #190103 by billy the biff
Replied by billy the biff on topic Off Road conversion, info required for a farmer
Thank you for all the info, I am pretty sure that Alan hasn't thought long and hard about this project...He had seen some Jimnys uprated in a farming magazine and has probably thought it would be easy and cheaper, I will print out all the help and show him.

Regards Bill

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Mar 2018 05:09 #190106 by Lambert
I farm sheep with mine. As far as off road performance in an agricultural environment goes a standard Jimny with the back seats removed is a very dominant package. I have road pattern tyres on mine and can get everywhere our old 90 could and a few places it couldn't, I am able to get on the land a good month before and after the defender and not leave a mark other than flattening the grass. It uses half as much fuel as any big pickup in real world use. It is significantly quicker and more pleasantly appointed than a side by side quad. As for lifting and fitting big tyres it's a pretty pointless way of making it worse unless you are prepared to spend more money on gearing and the like to rectify the effects of the big tyres. It will look cool granted but it will also mean more maintenance and breakages which is fine if you have other vehicles to use in the meantime. They're brilliant for farming out of the box.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Mar 2018 08:27 #190111 by Busta
I use mine on a farm. It has slightly larger tyres(215/75r15) in a relatively aggressive mud tread pattern. That is the only modification I've made.
As Lambert says it will travel on wet ground that our Defender cuts up and get places it can't. It is a very useful and capable vehicle in its standard form.

I imagine your friend has seen the Jimny's modified by KAP and Terramax. In order to fit the wide flotation tyres you need to do quite a lot of cutting to the wheel arches for clearance, extend them to cover the tyres and raise the suspension by about 3 inches (£500). You also need to change to a Rocklobster transfer case to lower the gearing to compensate for the larger diameter tyres (£600).

• billy the biff
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Mar 2018 12:31 #190118 by billy the biff
Replied by billy the biff on topic Off Road conversion, info required for a farmer
Hi Lads,
Thank you Lambert and Busta, yes the KAP one is the one he saw, reading what you say, he has no need for what he had planned, if you two can use and work with more or less standard ones, then he's wasting his money on custom modifications. Probably better spending on a newer Jimny than going over the top.

Thank you to you both and to all the others for taking the time to help one old biff help another old biff

Bill

More
09 Mar 2018 06:54 #190159 by robs5230
The lads above are right. I've been there and done that with all the lift etc. Not needed at all for a work vehicle. I've just bought one that will see a lot of off road use. The only modifications I've made are tyres.
This one will get me anywhere I need to go and excel where the bigger trucks struggle.

standard jimny - for now
Attachments:

More
09 Mar 2018 10:47 #190164 by gilburton
And don't forget a Jimny can legally tow 1300 kgs on a braked trailer.
I wouldn't go down motorways at that weight but it might be handy for towing on roads between fields etc.
Personally I would just go for a mud tyre and leave it at that.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Mar 2018 06:00 #190212 by Lambert
As far as towing on road goes the biggest issue I have is that most of my heavy loads are also alive and able to move about in the trailer not much granted but I can't pack them so tight they can't move because that's inhumane. It does mean if they shift that you definitely feel it in the car but I also feel it with the big American bruiser Cherokee with the 12 footer on too so it's not really the Jimny that is at fault. Having said all that I have occasionally to shift inanimate objects at weight too and other than having to slow down for hills it's not really that noticeable having a full trailer on a Jimny any more than any other car, the speed limit is still 50mph regardless.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds