BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

4wd on snow covered road

• doddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2018 17:15 #189925 by doddy
4wd on snow covered road was created by doddy
hello

I have just changed form a Mitsubishi pajero to an 07 jimny

reading the manual it seems to say don't drive on roads in 4wd mode (it is a confusing manual)

my question is am ok to drive on tarmac in 4wd mode

thanks in advance john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2018 17:20 #189926 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:4wd on snow covered road
No you are not.

It is part time 4WD with no centre differential so can only be used when there is some way of slip occurring in the system

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
The following user(s) said Thank You: doddy

More
04 Mar 2018 19:12 #189934 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 4wd on snow covered road
If the tarmac road is covered in snow or ice then it's fine. But tarmac, wet or dry, is too grippy to allow the wheelslip required to keep the 4x4 system happy.

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2018 19:20 - 04 Mar 2018 19:21 #189935 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic 4wd on snow covered road
Was just going to say the same. You can engage 4WD on snow covered roads no problem. But there's always some judgment because if moving from snow covered roads to roads that have been cleared of snow you want to enage normal 2WD.

Have a read up on 'transmission wind up' which will explain why. Essentially your 4WD is relatively less sophisticated than modern 4WD in that all 4 wheels have to turn the same number of rotations. Because the front wheels can turn left/right they can rotate at different speeds meaning the front and rear prop shafts that meet in your transfer box are twisting. On a slippery surface they can unwind themselves but not on tarmac.. modern 4x4's have a differential in the transfer box that can unwind.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2018 19:21 by Young Pretender.

• doddy
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Mar 2018 19:53 #189938 by doddy
Replied by doddy on topic 4wd on snow covered road
thanks for all of the replies
ive just sold an old pajero , with that one you could keep it in 4wd (not diff lock) even if you went on to a road where the snow had cleared .

More
04 Mar 2018 22:03 #189941 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic 4wd on snow covered road

doddy wrote: thanks for all of the replies
ive just sold an old pajero , with that one you could keep it in 4wd (not diff lock) even if you went on to a road where the snow had cleared .

You must have had super select 4WD which mine has. It's a pretty sophisticated four wheel drive. I also have a limited slip diff which I bet yours had. The comments are right.

You really do need to get used to not using 4WD unless you are sure there is good slippage like soggy deep mud. I really noticed axle wind up in my Jimny.
How do you like the transition from Paj to Jimny? My Paj is a 1992 and still going strong. I just feel vilified cos it is an old diesel.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• 1066Boy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2018 07:46 #189952 by 1066Boy
Replied by 1066Boy on topic 4wd on snow covered road
The advise I gave my Kate was drive in 2wd unless you are not making progress, then its 4wd time. :)

More
05 Mar 2018 09:36 #189957 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic 4wd on snow covered road
This is the trouble with recommending the Jimny as an all weather car. Unless people fully understand how and when to use 4wd, there is no safety benefit to the system at all. In 2wd the Jimny is a terrible car to drive on wintery roads. If you accelerate over a patch of ice or snow the back end steps out almost immediately, requiring quick reactions and a dose of opposite lock. In 4wd the handling is much more assured, but people are scared of using it in patchy conditions for fear of damaging the transmission.

Personally I love it because if I'm on a snow packed road with no traffic about I'm in 2wd doing my best Ken Block impression around every corner, always with the assurance than 4wd is just a flick of a lever away. But for somebody that is not a confident driver, relying on their 4wd car to get them through inclement conditions, it's not an ideal setup.

If in doubt my advice would always be it's better to use 4wd and damage something mechanical than to not use it and have an accident. But regularly testing the level of grip available, getting a feel for when the transmission is winding up and knowing how to handle a bit of oversteer is the way to get the best out of the system.

More
05 Mar 2018 09:41 #189958 by helijohn

1066Boy wrote: The advise I gave my Kate was drive in 2wd unless you are not making progress, then its 4wd time. :)

Sounds good to me lol.
The problem is that once you have got going and are clear of whatever it is like that snowdrift you will probably need to get back into 2H (2WD) - this is why I like the system used for example on Rav4s and Freelanders because it is always there and so makes variable road conditions so much safer. My Pajero has the best of both worlds - selectable and permanent. lol My only other requirement is ground clearance and unhappily a lot of the allgrip types of vehicle don't have it.

More
05 Mar 2018 09:57 #189959 by helijohn

Busta wrote: This is the trouble with recommending the Jimny as an all weather car. Unless people fully understand how and when to use 4wd, there is no safety benefit to the system at all. In 2wd the Jimny is a terrible car to drive on wintery roads. If you accelerate over a patch of ice or snow the back end steps out almost immediately, requiring quick reactions and a dose of opposite lock. In 4wd the handling is much more assured, but people are scared of using it in patchy conditions for fear of damaging the transmission.

Personally I love it because if I'm on a snow packed road with no traffic about I'm in 2wd doing my best Ken Block impression around every corner, always with the assurance than 4wd is just a flick of a lever away. But for somebody that is not a confident driver, relying on their 4wd car to get them through inclement conditions, it's not an ideal setup.

If in doubt my advice would always be it's better to use 4wd and damage something mechanical than to not use it and have an accident. But regularly testing the level of grip available, getting a feel for when the transmission is winding up and knowing how to handle a bit of oversteer is the way to get the best out of the system.

Yes what you say is so right mostly though I would prefer not to break my transmission. Rear wheel drive is not for the faint-hearted and needs to be used by folks used to such. Another point that needs to be mentioned is that the Jimny is very light. I used both my Mitsy Junior and my Mitsy Pajero in this weather and the Pajero didn't even need 4x4 though I could have had it on permanently as it is Super Select and I did use it in some places (where roads were lost due to drifts). My point is that the weight of my Pajero really made a difference.

Pulling out of a side road is also a problem when in 2WD in a lightweight motor.

I was brought up in worse snow than this and drove rear wheel drive cars with almost no trouble.

The other problem is stopping. Just because it is a fourbie does not mean it will stop. When I drive the Pajero I am fully aware that I have two tons weight as I approach a corner. I drive my 4x4s just like I drive a regular vehicle - with trepidation.

This is why I usually say that for general use a permanent 4x4 is more practical. It is one aspect that may discourage me from getting a 2018 Jimny.

• Young Pretender
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2018 10:47 #189963 by Young Pretender
Replied by Young Pretender on topic 4wd on snow covered road
Does anyone know; is the fact that the driven wheels of the Jimny are RWD (when in 2WD) due to some kind of performance consideration or more of an engineering/design choice?

Why was it not designed as selectable FWD/4WD as possibly seems a better application than RWD in the Jimny?

More
05 Mar 2018 11:16 #189964 by helijohn

Young Pretender wrote: Does anyone know; is the fact that the driven wheels of the Jimny are RWD (when in 2WD) due to some kind of performance consideration or more of an engineering/design choice?

Why was it not designed as selectable FWD/4WD as possibly seems a better application than RWD in the Jimny?

I agree with you......it is a question I asked myself a lot. I am not sure but I think the Fiat Panda used to be like that.
If someone wants primarily front wheel drive with 4WD then going to the rear wheels many of the permanent (not selectable) 4WD are along those lines with about a 60/40 split. Very often Freelanders have the RWD facility disconnected when the centre coupling goes wrong and peeps drive around in FWD.
I personally think that the answer to your question is the age of the design. Back then when Jimny was possibly just a dream to copy the Willys Jeep in an designers head most vehicles were rear wheel drive and so 4x4s were rear wheel drive primary.
The Ignis today is front wheel drive with the rear wheel coming in to play as needed. I love this approach but unhappily the Ignis does not have sufficient ground clearance for me...........if it motor cannot take on a kerb or steps or clear a foot of snow then I am not interested. As a road car though I love it. It is a 4x4 version of my Celerio lol.
TBF, apart from the few days of snow who even needs a selectable 4x4?

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds