BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

More
08 Jun 2018 12:25 - 08 Jun 2018 12:33 #193289 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
1500 engine and emissions would make it pricey for a small car in Norway they say due to import tax.

Sweden haven't imported any Jimnys the last ten years at least. And only a few wrong hand drive postal jimnys before that I think.

Edit: No swedish Jimnys after 2008 and only a very few before that.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 12:33 by yakuza.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MadsV
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2018 13:20 #193292 by MadsV
Replied by MadsV on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Really? There are many 17-mods for sale there.
Is it confirmes that it will come with the 1.5?

More
08 Jun 2018 13:35 #193293 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
I am pretty sure it will not come with a 1.5 engine. It will be the small, 1 litre, high revving engine with the turbo.

Makes sense for all the emission restrictions around the world. Not the ideal engine for off-roading but that is probably low on most owners priorities. Everyone is going small, even range rover is going down to 2 litre and smaller in the future.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
08 Jun 2018 13:47 #193294 by zukebob
As I think Martin is indicating, nothing is confirmed. The 1 liter turbojet and a 1.2 liter naturally aspirated engine seem to be the most popular rumors for the engine. We will find out for sure just before the debut. Personally, I am more interested in what the drivetrain specs are after the engine.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
08 Jun 2018 16:29 #193299 by furo
Replied by furo on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Just saw this, suggesting that the JDM version will have a 1.5L engine.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: zukebob

• muto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Jun 2018 17:28 - 08 Jun 2018 17:31 #193302 by muto
Replied by muto on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
I think it would be logical to have a simple and more reliable engine in a car like Jimny. Not these small turbo thingies.

Would be also interesting to know what is the bare minimum version. Do they make a model like my JX 2006 without power steering, AC, power locks or windows, painted bumpers etc :lol:
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 17:31 by muto.

More
08 Jun 2018 20:11 #193309 by auchenblae
Suzuki have a 1.5 engine in one of their vans. it is not in any car in their range. I found the van enine on their corporate site in Japan.

eddie

16 SZ3
07 JLX+ gone 16
99 JLX gone 07

More
10 Jun 2018 16:11 #193347 by furo
Replied by furo on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot

More
10 Jun 2018 18:33 #193354 by helijohn

OlaGB wrote: A new Jimny would kill the joy of having a car i can use a bit rough without worrying too much..

Now that's my problem too. I like driving a bit of a beater.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

More
11 Jun 2018 19:31 #193378 by Rhinoman
Replied by Rhinoman on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

muto wrote: I think it would be logical to have a simple and more reliable engine in a car like Jimny. Not these small turbo thingies.

They've been selling small engine turbo Jimnys for years in the home market.

Some Suzukis and a bunch of motorcycles.

• HeadForTheHills
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Jun 2018 22:43 #193383 by HeadForTheHills
Replied by HeadForTheHills on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show

Rhinoman wrote:

muto wrote: I think it would be logical to have a simple and more reliable engine in a car like Jimny. Not these small turbo thingies.

They've been selling small engine turbo Jimnys for years in the home market.

It seems it may be discontinued.
Caterham also used the 660cc Turbo Kei engine in their evolved Lotus 7 160s car 2014 - 2017.
The engine is now longer available from Suzuki, forcing end to production of the 160s.
The last available engines were sold in a small run of retro theme limited edition super-sprint cars.

A shame, knowing the common link between such very different vehicles, it would have been a blast to have both a Jimny and a Caterham 7 .
Maybe in a years time the Caterham 160 will be resurrected with a new Suzuki engine and transmission.

More
12 Jun 2018 09:28 #193390 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic New Jimny 2017 Tokyo Show
Due to the emissions and the motor volume for the 1.5 engine, the Norwegian tax system makes it too expensive to be competitive in Norway according to rumors from the Norwegian importer.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds